You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General So I just got KOTOR....wot now? (spoilers!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2004, 12:31 AM   #1
merely human

Default So I just got KOTOR....wot now? (spoilers!)

Any advice, seeing as how this is one of the most talked about 'interactive experiences' out there? I mean, come on fellas, pimp it good, what's all this hubbub?

I decided to play a girl, some kind of sneaksie rogue with a shady past (at least according to the descript), edgy and belligerent in an underhanded way, but wants nothing to do with the Imperial pricks, as long as it serves her self interests. It's Xbox, btw.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-30-2004, 12:57 AM   #2
guybrush_guy

play away my friend, when i first started playing it i didn't like it very much, but now I'm addicted. game play, story, side missions, graphics are all incredible.

Old 10-30-2004, 02:17 AM   #3
23 Railway Cuttings

I wasn't sure I was going to like it as the only games along these lines that I have played before were Outcast and Tron 2.0. Like all these RPG style games, I find that a bit of reading up from the manual helps enormously, but I'm also an impatient player who just wants to get on with it.

I would therefore suggest that you just start playing and if you're struggling to read all the game screen icons or to know what to do next etc., then sit down with the manual for 20 minutes, get the necessary info from it and then plough on with the game.

I seem to remember that the choices you make early on are fairly obviously light side/dark side options so you won't go far wrong (and anyway that's part of the fun!)
Old 10-30-2004, 03:22 AM   #4
DAVE

Don't go as a rogue, trust me on this one. You'll have a hard time in the final bosses. A REAL hard time. I'd recommend a warrior, girl or guy doesn't matter, and have him be a jedi guardian. I actually had two dark and light side characters at one point, dark side totally disfigures the character.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:55 AM   #5
Irritant F0rum Beasty

What I really like about the game is how it accounts for different levels of users, and doesn't just assume that every player is a hardcore RPGist. So what if you make a few wrong decisions and run in to certain problems later in the game, you can just adjust the difficulty setting.

At times I just really wanted to get on with the story and missions, so dropped the difficulty level for one particularly nasty fight. I think it's an option that should be available in more games, so that the player has the option to play the game how they want.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 10-30-2004, 05:53 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Sirus

The beginning sucks. Once you get off the first planet, it starts to be fun. It's not hard to play a Scoundrel/Sentieniel. You've just gotta use some cheap tactics at the end.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:36 AM   #7
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I decided to play a girl, some kind of sneaksie rogue with a shady past (at least according to the descript), edgy and belligerent in an underhanded way, but wants nothing to do with the Imperial pricks, as long as it serves her self interests.
Unfortunately Bioware just couldn't get sneaking to work within the strict story triggers. In order to fix certain show stopper bugs that would occur if you snuck past an important dialogue trigger, they ****ed rogueish types 6 ways from sunday and made EVERY dialogue disable your stealth field. Every cut scene even if its just showy like the arrival of more troops to the area, there goes your stealth field... totally ass.

That's not to say rogues aren't a powerful class (they're the most powerful if played correctly), but there isn't much opportunity or worth in sneaking about sorry.

Rogues get enhanced damage when the target is unresponsive or unaware. Traditionally that would mean hiding and getting behind someone for a backstab move but later as a Jedi, you can confuse, stun, paranoia etc most opponents and then every attack no matter if its a force power, a gunshot or a lightsaber will do the extra damage. This is why so many people talk about the rogue/counselor combo. Get some sneak attack bonus (rogue levels), then pick counselor as the Jedi archetype and go darkside/lightning/fear. How you exploit such sillyness is up to you, I had a heavy weapons expert rogue with a chaingun and fast shot. Drop the fear on enemies then mow them down... cop that Yoda!

For the best interactive experience, I would suggest a scout though. Spend some points in intelligence and skills and do all the computer hacking and droid repairs yourself. With high repair you can fix up a certain red assassination droid for a companion who has some of the best dialogue in the game. As a chick, you'll be pestered to 'romance' Carth which basically boils down to him whining to you a lot before professing an overprotective love for you. The best dialogue in the romance are the 'shot down' lines
Old 10-30-2004, 10:32 AM   #8

Ugh... I hate hate hate KOTOR!

Anybody want my copy?
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 10-30-2004, 12:03 PM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

Any advice, seeing as how this is one of the most talked about 'interactive experiences' out there? I mean, come on fellas, pimp it good, what's all this hubbub?

I decided to play a girl, some kind of sneaksie rogue with a shady past (at least according to the descript), edgy and belligerent in an underhanded way, but wants nothing to do with the Imperial pricks, as long as it serves her self interests. It's Xbox, btw.
My friend trep, I experienced the same symptoms. I started playing it and said this game I was about to uninstall it and return the damn thing to target. But I stuck with it a little longer. And believe me, it will suck you in and you will be hooked. Just hang in there and you will be rewarded.

Firefox rules
Old 10-30-2004, 12:10 PM   #10
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco2.5

Anybody want my copy?

i could go for a second copy if your serious,

nevermind..... give it to someone who's more in need.

Old 10-30-2004, 02:02 PM   #11

A little off topic... but just about all LucaArts Star Wars games i've found start out so crappy. Then get better! Like Jedi Knight 2 especially, sucks until you get your light saber and a few of the powers...

Anyway... Just hang in there and it will all become clear why this game is ultimate...
Old 10-30-2004, 05:02 PM   #12

This is one of the few games with NPC-to-NPC interaction that made me laugh aloud.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:32 PM   #13
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco2.5

Anybody want my copy?
How much?

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 10-31-2004, 03:35 AM   #14
After 2 years...

Trep, just bare in mind that you are not going to see everything the first time playing...or the second...or the third .

But why X-Box?

PC's controls are way better (not that i played the xbox version )
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 10-31-2004, 03:59 AM   #15
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleto4_ryan
Trep, just bare in mind that you are not going to see everything the first time playing...or the second...or the third .

But why X-Box?

PC's controls are way better (not that i played the xbox version )
Bear in mind that the game was originally designed for the Xbox
Old 10-31-2004, 07:35 AM   #16
Evil Webmaster

And it shows, since if you dare to raise AA over 2x it becomes incredibly sluggish. I mean Doom 3 runs fine at AA 4x and this doesn't. Nice graphics, really! I DO hope they're gonna smooth things for the sequel.

Except for that it's a nice game, fun enough, even though there's hardly any plot (you found a star map, good boy! now go find another one) inbetween the meeting with Dark Malak and the Jedi academy thing. Basically it's one of those games which doesn't make me care about it's plot at all, except when it's related to my character. Anyway it's also replayable (and I mean that, the experience changes a lot), so I guess it is a good deal, even though it won't knock off Morrowind or Arx Fatalis from my personal rpg shelf.
So there you go
Old 10-31-2004, 01:07 PM   #17
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
And it shows, since if you dare to raise AA over 2x it becomes incredibly sluggish. I mean Doom 3 runs fine at AA 4x and this doesn't. Nice graphics, really! I DO hope they're gonna smooth things for the sequel.

i did notice that, i've always wondered why but that does make sence now. it was'nt ment for the PC.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
i did notice that, i've always wondered why but that does make sence now. it was'nt ment for the PC.
Bollocks it wasn't "meant" for the PC. When it was first announced there were no specific consoles mentioned, only "PC & next-gen console".

http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/21.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEC Press Release
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. -- July 25, 2000 -- LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC and BioWare Corp. today announced a partnership to create the first Star Wars role playing game (RPG) for PC and next generation video game systems. Expected to release in 2002, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic will be set in a time period prior to the Star Wars films.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
Except for that it's a nice game, fun enough, even though there's hardly any plot (you found a star map, good boy! now go find another one) inbetween the meeting with Dark Malak and the Jedi academy thing. Basically it's one of those games which doesn't make me care about it's plot at all, except when it's related to my character. Anyway it's also replayable (and I mean that, the experience changes a lot), so I guess it is a good deal, even though it won't knock off Morrowind or Arx Fatalis from my personal rpg shelf.
I'm sure it WILL knock them off the shelf after you have finished it .
Old 10-31-2004, 03:51 PM   #20
Evil Webmaster

I DID finish it, why do you think I was talking about it's replayability?
So there you go