You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General So I just got KOTOR....wot now? (spoilers!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2004, 04:30 PM   #21
No justice. Only me.

Also, if you have an ATI card, play the game using the 4.3 catalyst drivers if you can. (If you have an X800 or later, you're out of luck, like me. ) This is because with later drivers, there's a pretty nasty bug that crashes the game every ten minutes or so, generally as you're moving between areas.

Nvidia cards work fine for it though. It basically boils down to the meat of the eternal Nvidia vs. ATI debate. Go the Nvidea route and have problems on Direct3D, or use ATI and have a tough time with OpenGL games (like KOTOR)?
Old 11-02-2004, 05:07 PM   #22

Get to know your fellow npcs too. This will increase the immersion factor moreso. And depending on who you take on a mission, you won't play out all the personal stories of each npcs. Each of them have a personal story that somehow interweaves in the gameplay mechanics of the game.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:16 AM   #23
Evil Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
This is because with later drivers, there's a pretty nasty bug that crashes the game every ten minutes or so, generally as you're moving between areas.
So that's what it was, I was wondering. Thanks Rancor
So there you go
Old 11-03-2004, 04:22 PM   #24
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
So that's what it was, I was wondering. Thanks Rancor
Yeah, I haven't tried it with the newest drivers yet. It's been improving slightly with each new ATI driver release, but not by much. Which is why I've stopped playing it for a while in favor of SC4 and Far Cry (again).
Old 11-03-2004, 04:34 PM   #25
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Yeah, I haven't tried it with the newest drivers yet. It's been improving slightly with each new ATI driver release, but not by much. Which is why I've stopped playing it for a while in favor of SC4 and Far Cry (again).
It ran like a dream on my old NVIDIA geforce 4. Not a single glitch. I had to install a patch for it though. I only had one instance when the light sabers disappeared. It was funny coz I was fighting with invisible light sabers So have you stopped playing the game. Man there is a huge twist in the plot towards the end that you SHOULD play.

Firefox rules
Old 11-03-2004, 07:13 PM   #26
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Man there is a huge twist in the plot towards the end that you SHOULD play.
A lot of people picked it the first time through, very early on so it wasn't much of a twist. If you play through a second time and listen to all the dialogue, especially the bit parts, people you don't need to talk to in order to complete quests combined with the dream sequences throughout it seems a wonder anyone found it a 'shock'
Old 11-04-2004, 01:31 AM   #27
Evil Webmaster

Maybe cause the rest of the plot was downright boring?

Anyway, with ATI cards the game still crashes during loading times but it's not that often (sometimes you can go on a couple of hours without probs), just save as soon as you can and you're ok.
So there you go
Old 11-04-2004, 06:18 AM   #28
After 2 years...

From what i know KOTOR was created for the PC and for the XBOX, the idea of both versions was in the mind of the developers far before the creation started...

Em...Kotor's story boring?

Ouaouuu. :eek:
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 11-04-2004, 03:08 PM   #29
merely human

Thanks, everyone! I've been [unwittingly] offline for several days so I took that time to plunge myself into the game. I am proud to say that, as I did in Fable, I am over 50 hours in, having just gained entry into the Sith Academy on CrotchFartBaan, or whatever that rock is called. I pretty much share the consensus with everyone, KoTOR is one of the finest games I've ever played (trusting its consistency all the way to the end boss). I'm not a hardcore RPG whore as you all know, so it took me a while to get the geist of how that stats vs. stats and 'dice rolling sh!t' works. Hell, I still have no clue what DC+20/-watchamacallit means. All I know is that I've become excellent at strategizing 'in the moment'. I literally held my breath during the fierce fighting with the [not for long camouflaged] Mandalorian punks on the dark forest floors of Kashyyk. Mind you, I had Sienna (my av), Juhani, and Jolee put their weapons away (you know why), so we liquefied their asses using only Force powers combined with explosives (frag, sonic, & plasma 'nades). I was in heaven .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchsie
Unfortunately Bioware just couldn't get sneaking to work within the strict story triggers. In order to fix certain show stopper bugs that would occur if you snuck past an important dialogue trigger, they ****ed rogueish types 6 ways from sunday and made EVERY dialogue disable your stealth field. Every cut scene even if its just showy like the arrival of more troops to the area, there goes your stealth field... totally ass.

That's not to say rogues aren't a powerful class (they're the most powerful if played correctly), but there isn't much opportunity or worth in sneaking about sorry.

Rogues get enhanced damage when the target is unresponsive or unaware. Traditionally that would mean hiding and getting behind someone for a backstab move but later as a Jedi, you can confuse, stun, paranoia etc most opponents and then every attack no matter if its a force power, a gunshot or a lightsaber will do the extra damage. This is why so many people talk about the rogue/counselor combo. Get some sneak attack bonus (rogue levels), then pick counselor as the Jedi archetype and go darkside/lightning/fear. How you exploit such sillyness is up to you, I had a heavy weapons expert rogue with a chaingun and fast shot. Drop the fear on enemies then mow them down... cop that Yoda!
I found this stealth bug out, but it was just mildly annoying, not enough to make me want to visit Bioware HQ and slaughter everyone. I chose a Latina looking Rogue/Sentinel nymph, and I named her Sienna. Before getting the lightsaber I just kept levelling her up manually, focusing more on Charisma (persuasion) and hacking & security. Once she became a Jedi I simply let the droid team member take over the hacking, etc., and let the game auto level up for me. I found out that sneaking up then powerstriking, etc. does quite well. A team of 2 Jedis and a soldier is good, too, as one Jedi can slash, another use Force (to stun or heal all), and the third to keep his distance while sniping. But I found that 3 Jedis is the most fun (especially during the Kashyyk forest floor bits)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
Except for that it's a nice game, fun enough, even though there's hardly any plot (you found a star map, good boy! now go find another one) inbetween the meeting with Dark Malak and the Jedi academy thing. Basically it's one of those games which doesn't make me care about it's plot at all, except when it's related to my character. Anyway it's also replayable (and I mean that, the experience changes a lot), so I guess it is a good deal, even though it won't knock off Morrowind or Arx Fatalis from my personal rpg shelf.
What are you talking about, I lived for those little soap opera tales!! I loved finding out each team member's little story bit by bit. I have to admit, Bastila's thing over her parents had me tear up, but then I was always a softie. You're just being insensitive, you coldhearted battle droid ! But my thing, if you'll excuse my mushiness, was for Carth. Wotta dreamboat! Awwww. Since I play a girl, he's apparently getting the swoonies for Sienna.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-04-2004, 03:32 PM   #30
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Thanks, everyone! I've been [unwittingly] offline for several days so I took that time to plunge myself into the game. I am proud to say that, as I did in Fable, I am over 50 hours in, having just gained entry into the Sith Academy on CrotchFartBaan, or whatever that rock is called. I pretty much share the consensus with everyone, KoTOR is one of the finest games I've ever played (trusting its consistency all the way to the end boss). I'm not a hardcore RPG whore as you all know, so it took me a while to get the geist of how that stats vs. stats and 'dice rolling sh!t' works. Hell, I still have no clue what DC+20/-watchamacallit means. All I know is that I've become excellent at strategizing 'in the moment'. I literally held my breath during the fierce fighting with the [not for long camouflaged] Mandalorian punks on the dark forest floors of Kashyyk. Mind you, I had Sienna (my av), Juhani, and Jolee put their weapons away (you know why), so we liquefied their asses using only Force powers combined with explosives (frag, sonic, & plasma 'nades). I was in heaven .

I found this stealth bug out, but it was just mildly annoying, not enough to make me want to visit Bioware HQ and slaughter everyone. I chose a Latina looking Rogue/Sentinel nymph, and I named her Sienna. Before getting the lightsaber I just kept levelling her up manually, focusing more on Charisma (persuasion) and hacking & security. Once she became a Jedi I simply let the droid team member take over the hacking, etc., and let the game auto level up for me. I found out that sneaking up then powerstriking, etc. does quite well. A team of 2 Jedis and a soldier is good, too, as one Jedi can slash, another use Force (to stun or heal all), and the third to keep his distance while sniping. But I found that 3 Jedis is the most fun (especially during the Kashyyk forest floor bits)!

What are you talking about, I lived for those little soap opera tales!! I loved finding out each team member's little story bit by bit. I have to admit, Bastila's thing over her parents had me tear up, but then I was always a softie. You're just being insensitive, you coldhearted battle droid ! But my thing, if you'll excuse my mushiness, was for Carth. Wotta dreamboat! Awwww. Since I play a girl, he's apparently getting the swoonies for Sienna.
Glad that you have seen the light my young padawan

Firefox rules
Old 11-04-2004, 04:12 PM   #31
merely human

I will not disappoint you in the ways of the Jedi, meatbag Master.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-04-2004, 04:20 PM   #32
guybrush_guy

ware've you been trep...you have'nt posted in a wile

Old 11-04-2004, 07:42 PM   #33
merely human

I was making out with Carth.

The Force was with me.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:10 AM   #34
Evil Webmaster

Quote:
Erm, I admit I was heavily involved in a relationship with Bastila but even so, I think those were the only moments of the plot when I was actually awake. I mean, the 'star maps' thing is a downright boring idea to make you go to every planet in hope of completing the game. Side quests and personal plots are definitely good, the main quest is not, unlike Morrowind I'd say.

Oh and I hate Carth
So there you go
Old 11-06-2004, 06:37 AM   #35
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:
When you've finished the game, play it again. You'll likely find out even more about the characters' histories, every single party member (except the R2 droid) have a full history and side agenda. It's well worth playing again just to find out what really makes them tick.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:15 PM   #36
merely human

Yeah, I finished it! wooHOO!! I did a freaking marathon, fellas, matching my 12 hour non-stop session with Deus Ex that one summer. Yep. The final boss fight with Malak was quite funny, though, once I peaked at a FAQ:

Spoiler:
I died, like, a dozen times trying. Finally I looked it up and I was advised to destroy all 'dead' Jedi in the containers so Malak couldn't suck the leftover Force from them and stay impervious. His resistance and shields were way too strong for Sienna (my av) and I was wondering how the hell I'll beat him once I get rid of his battery supply. Then it struck me: the saber throw is absolutely unblockable! Yay! So, after I sent the last dead Jedi to heaven I just ran around in circles waiting for Sienna's blue bar to go up and the saber throw icon to glow, while Mr. Skanky Inked Skinhead chased her round and round. It was so silly in its simplicity, really. She kicked his nasty ass by just running around and throwing it at him.

Awesome, awesome game!! And I still got Carth in the end, the sweet hot stud!

Thanks, everyone, for all your input. One of the most memorable long hour sessions I ever gamed.

May the be with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
When you've finished the game, play it again. You'll likely find out even more about the characters' histories, every single party member (except the R2 droid) have a full history and side agenda. It's well worth playing again just to find out what really makes them tick.
Oh yeah, I made sure I got to hear everyone's closeted skeletons. Unfortunately I forgot to ask Canderous for one more war story, that or he finally ran out. I felt like a mom/therapist/bestfriend/petdog to all my party members. Everyone's tale was bittersweet in their own way. HK-47 is awesome, I want one!

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 11-12-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:47 AM   #37
Evil Webmaster

I wonder why final boss fight in RPGs always end up being an incredible farce, with the main character running around waiting for health/mana/barfing power to replenish, I actually had to do the same. I mean, it's maybe fun enough to play, but what about telling to someone 'the final boss fight is really epic, I was running around like a scared cheerleader all the time!'.
So there you go
Old 11-13-2004, 01:57 AM   #38
merely human

Well hey, I guess it boils down to a bit of cleverness (if you can call exploiting the game's technicalities such, heh). Which is why I love Mulan, she kicked the Hun's sorry ass through her quick wit rather than her [lack of] brawns.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:34 PM   #39
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

The ending of Planescape: Torment was awesome, since there wasn't necessarily any real combat involved.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:17 PM   #40
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
It ran like a dream on my old NVIDIA geforce 4. Not a single glitch. I had to install a patch for it though. I only had one instance when the light sabers disappeared. It was funny coz I was fighting with invisible light sabers So have you stopped playing the game. Man there is a huge twist in the plot towards the end that you SHOULD play.
No, no, I've played it through all the way with the light side. I'm about halfway through the dark side, but I've put it aside for a while. Been absorbed in Simcity 4 again, with Rush Hour. And I also just played through Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for the first time. (DAMN did that game rock!) I'll get back to KOTOR eventually, but that might be a while, since I just ordered the Half-Life 2 Collector's Edition.