You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Xbox vs. PS2 vs. Gamecube

View Poll Results: Who would win in a fight?
Xbox 14 26.92%
PS2 14 26.92%
Gamecube 16 30.77%
Dreamcast, you assholes! 8 15.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2005, 07:56 PM   #41
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I don't know if they still do it or not, but G4TV used to show a 4-way TV screen with PS2, GC, Xbox and PC of several games for comparison - in each case, the same scene of the same game always looked better on Xbox, even better than the PC, though I don't know how optimized that was for the PC. Better is a relative term, however, and the differences weren't that great, but side-by-side, there was a noticeable difference. Sometimes PC came second, sometimes GC, but PS2 was always 4th. ( I personally have a PS2 and an Xbox, as well as a PC of course.) It seemed to me that since they all looked good to excellent, the choice was for what roster of games you prefer to play.

Lynsie
Old 11-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #42
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
I don't know if they still do it or not, but G4TV used to show a 4-way TV screen with PS2, GC, Xbox and PC of several games for comparison - in each case, the same scene of the same game always looked better on Xbox, even better than the PC, though I don't know how optimized that was for the PC. Better is a relative term, however, and the differences weren't that great, but side-by-side, there was a noticeable difference. Sometimes PC came second, sometimes GC, but PS2 was always 4th. ( I personally have a PS2 and an Xbox, as well as a PC of course.) It seemed to me that since they all looked good to excellent, the choice was for what roster of games you prefer to play.

Lynsie
Hmmm, in real life PC games look much better than any XBox, PS2, or Gamecube game. Half-Life 2 looks better on PC than XBox, and it was the same with Doom 3, Far Cry, Chronicles of Riddick, etc. This will probably change for one or two years once XBox 360 comes out. Anyway, resolution not being a factor, I'm sure it would appear to be a closer contest, but PC would still have a significant edge visually over the current consoles. Since G4 is seen on a television screen, and a television doesn't have the display resolution of a good PC monitor, this could be one reason why XBox appeared to be better (the playing field being levelled so to speak).

Most likely it was a combination of reasons. Many games made for the consoles are ported to PC. When this happens, the complexity of the geometry, textures, etc. is barely messed with, and the PC version will have the same shortcomings as the console releases EXCEPT for the higher resolution (the benefit of which is nullified by my first point). However, games designed within the last two years for the PC look far superior to any current console game. XBox 360 will close that gap, just as the Playstation 3 will. But in another 2 or 3 years, PC will be firmly on top again...that's just the way it goes as the console hardware ages and the PCs continue to advance.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:41 PM   #43
Explorer of the uncharted

Another vote for the Dreamcast. I own all systems and none of the current generation ones have beat the shear fun I had with it (and still have) back in the day.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:09 AM   #44
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

As possibly the last person on the planet with neither a PS2 or an Xbox (and I'm not even sure that I've ever used an Xbox ), I'm something of a Nintendo fan, but that's because their games appeal to me. Generally speaking, the Xbox and PS2 games that I'm interested in (and that are any good) get ported to the PC, so I haven't yet felt the need to rush out and buy either console.

The Dreamcast is also very fun, though .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-12-2005, 05:18 AM   #45

shenmues, skies of arcadia, jet set radio, chu chu rocket, space channel 5, grandia, virtua tennis, seaman...

need i say more?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:48 AM   #46
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by footawn
shenmues, skies of arcadia, jet set radio, chu chu rocket, space channel 5, grandia, virtua tennis, seaman...

need i say more?
Say less, leaving out Shenmue, and I'll agree with you .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-13-2005, 11:20 PM   #47

I have these games for my Dreamcast:

Grandia 2 *
House of the Dead 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver *
Dead or Alive 2 *
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Ecco
Resident Evil: Code Veronica *
Space Channel 5
Soul Calibur *
Headhunter *
Tony Hawk's Skateboarding *
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 *
Shenmue *
Crazy Taxi *
Crazy Taxi 2 *
Metropolis Street Racer *

* My only must-have titles. The rest I don't really care that much for. I reckon I have all I need for the Dreamcast, the rest are either multiplatform or released in better versions on a newer console - although I do regret selling my Shenmue 2 DC just because I got the Xbox version.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:38 AM   #48
Just charging up

DREAMCAST!

need I post more?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:10 AM   #49
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
As possibly the last person on the planet with neither a PS2 or an Xbox (and I'm not even sure that I've ever used an Xbox ), I'm something of a Nintendo fan, but that's because their games appeal to me. Generally speaking, the Xbox and PS2 games that I'm interested in (and that are any good) get ported to the PC, so I haven't yet felt the need to rush out and buy either console.
Well, this may disappoint you, but you're not the last person on the planet. I don't think I've ever even seen either a PS2 or an XBox. But there are two other people on my block with Gamecubes. It's hard to go wrong with Nintendo- they're so consistently good.