You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Xbox vs. PS2 vs. Gamecube

View Poll Results: Who would win in a fight?
Xbox 14 26.92%
PS2 14 26.92%
Gamecube 16 30.77%
Dreamcast, you assholes! 8 15.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 12:43 PM   #21
A good place to hide

ok. ps2. now leave me alone.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:21 PM   #22

Well it's not ps2 because that just has a bunch of generic japanese rpgs and GTA which is also available for PC and X-box, it really doesn't have any games that interest me. Silent Hill is available for PC and X-box as well, with better graphics. In fact, most of the games on the ps2 are availiable on something else. It also has the worst graphics of the 3 systems.

Gamecube is pretty awesome and has exclusive games like Metroid and Zelda. But it doesn't have any online play at all (except phantasy star)

I like X-box the most because it has a good amount of exclusive games that are pretty cool, x-box live is a lot of fun, it has the best graphics out of all 3, and no memory cards are required.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:28 PM   #23
SamNMax

PS2 doesn't have the worst graphics. Gamecube does. No game for the PS2 uses it's full graphical power. If developers would start doing this then we'd see some amazing stuff on the PS2.

Old 08-21-2004, 08:14 AM   #24
i'm with... <thud>

developers not pushing the boundaries?...that's what they said about the N64!...seriously though for now the no memory card xbox thing is enough for me even if the other perks weren't readily apparent
Old 08-21-2004, 08:33 AM   #25
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
PS2 doesn't have the worst graphics. Gamecube does. No game for the PS2 uses it's full graphical power. If developers would start doing this then we'd see some amazing stuff on the PS2.
I respect all people's opinions. BUT GameCube certainly does NOT have the worst graphics capabilities. By sheer power alone, the GameCube can handle sharper textures, more polygons and an overall smoother framerate on comparable games.

The differences between PS2 and GameCube lie primarily in party support. GamCube is a machine for FIRST and SECOND party support games. So let's look at a Nintendo game: Metroid Prime could not be replicated with the same detail on the PS2; there is no doubt of that. But, when you look at third party support, these developers seem to cherish the PS2 over the GameCube, oftentimes creating a game using the PS2 engine and then porting over to GameCube, which can often give the PlayStation a graphical advantage.

I like optimism; and I see you have a special place in your heart for the PS2. I love its overall great game library. However, when the GameCube presents a good game, it often surpasses most of what I play on PS2 and the XBOX. NOT simply because of graphics, but because the overall production values and gameplay experiences have been so well knit together.

I must say that you have nailed something very important on the head: GAMES. Though hardware gets you started, it is up the game creators and developers to utilize this hardware effectively.

If you still do not believe me that the PS2 simply cannot achieve the same graphical detail as the GameCube, just tell me so and I can send you a great system specs chart. And to go even further, it is clear, above all, that the XBOX has the "strongest" graphics engine of the three. But like I said, its not the power underneath the hood; it's how you use it.

Kirk
Old 08-21-2004, 08:37 AM   #26
A Servicable Villain

What a useless and uninspired topic. Each console has its own merits and hic-ups. And each person will find the gamingplatform to his or her liking. This will only bring about another batch of boring mudslinging, because it all boils down to personal opinion anyway.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:39 AM   #27
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
What a useless and uninspired topic. Each console has its own merits and ****-ups. And each person will find the gamingplatform to his or her liking. This will only bring about another batch of boring mudslinging, because it all boils down to personal opinion anyway.
But you still felt it was important enough to enter this thread and share your views, right?

That is the purpose, no matter how redundant. Communication. It's fun.

Kirk
Old 08-21-2004, 08:47 AM   #28
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
What a useless and uninspired topic. Each console has its own merits and hic-ups. And each person will find the gamingplatform to his or her liking. This will only bring about another batch of boring mudslinging, because it all boils down to personal opinion anyway.
I agree, and just like with operating systems, hardware, etc. it's utterly pointless to argue about which one is best. I own all three consoles, and I like all three of them. Like Flux says, each has its pros and cons, but that's what you get when you have choice in the marketplace.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:51 AM   #29
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

I agree with everything Kirk said.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:43 AM   #30
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

But in the end, Dreamcast kicks everybodys asses.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:47 AM   #31
Banned User

Hey, this topic could have a resurgence of importance regarding the tidal wave of HDTVs hitting shelves across the globe.

Due to the increased technological benefits of Hi-Def and EDTV sets and the waiting period before the release of a next gen console, this may be a topic of importance for true home theater junkies.

The progressive scan hi-def output, and widescreen format offered or not offered on these systems may be worthwhile debating and discussing.

Call me a booger, but I think this topic can be as relevant or as irrelevant as one would like it to be.

Kirk
Old 08-21-2004, 11:35 AM   #32
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
I respect all people's opinions. BUT GameCube certainly does NOT have the worst graphics capabilities. By sheer power alone, the GameCube can handle sharper textures, more polygons and an overall smoother framerate on comparable games.

The differences between PS2 and GameCube lie primarily in party support. GamCube is a machine for FIRST and SECOND party support games. So let's look at a Nintendo game: Metroid Prime could not be replicated with the same detail on the PS2; there is no doubt of that. But, when you look at third party support, these developers seem to cherish the PS2 over the GameCube, oftentimes creating a game using the PS2 engine and then porting over to GameCube, which can often give the PlayStation a graphical advantage.

I like optimism; and I see you have a special place in your heart for the PS2. I love its overall great game library. However, when the GameCube presents a good game, it often surpasses most of what I play on PS2 and the XBOX. NOT simply because of graphics, but because the overall production values and gameplay experiences have been so well knit together.

I must say that you have nailed something very important on the head: GAMES. Though hardware gets you started, it is up the game creators and developers to utilize this hardware effectively.

If you still do not believe me that the PS2 simply cannot achieve the same graphical detail as the GameCube, just tell me so and I can send you a great system specs chart. And to go even further, it is clear, above all, that the XBOX has the "strongest" graphics engine of the three. But like I said, its not the power underneath the hood; it's how you use it.

Kirk
I know that the Gamecube's graphics are great, but so are the PS2's and Xbox's. And I've heard from a lot of people that the PS2's full graphical power has not been unearthed yet. Either way, you're right about the Gamecube. I mean, Metroid Prime was one of the best looking games I've seen, but then again, I can think of a lot of PS2 games that look just as great.
I really don't play any of my Consoles anymore, because latley, I've been swamped with PC games I gotta beat, so it's been awhile since I've seen any PS2 or Gamecube games. I could be wrong. But I still think that PS2 has ther better graphics.
But I don't get why you're going into this "It's not the graphics that's important. It's the quality". I know it's the quality that matters. I don't think graphics do anything at all to a game (unless it's a game like DOOM3, where it revolves around atmosphere). I could care less about graphics. I don't need the "quality" speech. If there's anyone on this green earth who understands that, it's me.
And don't send me that chart, 'cause I don't care at all. If it's just my opinion and mine alone, then why are you trying to change it?

Last edited by SamNMax; 08-21-2004 at 11:49 AM.

Old 08-21-2004, 11:50 AM   #33
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
I know that the Gamecube's graphics are great, but so are the PS2's and Xbox's.
To be sure, I have not yet unearthed a racer that captures the same graphical spledor of GT: A-Spec on the PS2. The idea of GRAPHICS and what makes a POWERHOUSE in the graphics department is debatable, of course.

For example, I'll still play an ancient adventure game and be impressed by the graphical quality though it does require advanced hardware. Same goes for any system. HOWEVER, now that I own an HDTV, I am really looking forward to 1080i powerhouse gaming.

I'm a dork. I know.

Kirk

Last edited by Kirk; 08-21-2004 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:24 PM   #34
After 2 years...

But of course Gamecube, the only "true" console machine on the market with hell of good games...

Not many games
but all with quality...

that's nintendo
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 08-22-2004, 05:02 AM   #35
Life and times of...

Well, in this order:
1. XBox
2. Gamecube/Dreamcast
3. ...Sega Megadrive...
...? What? It's not Sega Megadrive? :eek: PS2? Never heard...

(OK, so the Sega should be in a divided 1st place...)
Old 08-22-2004, 10:42 AM   #36
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleto4_ryan
But of course Gamecube, the only "true" console machine on the market with hell of good games...

Not many games
but all with quality...

that's nintendo
ALL with quality?

Last edited by SamNMax; 08-22-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Old 08-22-2004, 11:01 AM   #37
El Luchador

I was sort of under the impression he meant Nintendo's games, not every game on the console.

Then again, a lot of these games you linked are ports from, well.. PS2 or PC.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:31 AM   #38
merely human

Quote:
To be sure, I have not yet unearthed a racer that captures the same graphical spledor of GT: A-Spec on the PS2. The idea of GRAPHICS and what makes a POWERHOUSE in the graphics department is debatable, of course.

The look and handling of Project Gotham Racing (Xbox) is rather impressive to me, but then I was never a racing whore anyway to be able to discern. I love my little Mini Cooper!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-22-2004, 11:53 AM   #39
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

The look and handling of Project Gotham Racing (Xbox) is rather impressive to me, but then I was never a racing whore anyway to be able to discern. I love my little Mini Cooper!
I like PGR 2, especially. BUT, it still pales to the overall "atmosphere" of the other, for me at least.

Burnout 3, now that's where it's at next month, dawg.

Kirk

Last edited by Kirk; 08-22-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:21 PM   #40
El Luchador

Quote:
I like PGR 2, espcially. BUT, it still pales to the overall "atmosphere" of the other, for me at least.

Burnout 3, now that's where it's at next month, dawg.

Kirk
It saddened me that Burnout 3 wasn't coming out on the GameCube.

It would've been perfect on the GameCube, what with it's extremely competitive nature, featuring 6-players. Tune that down to four-players, sharing the same screen. GAMECUBE FUN!