You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General rpgs vs adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2004, 12:50 AM   #1
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover
Default rpgs vs adventure

ok talking to this bloke who says

rpgs are the best.adventure games are rubbish beause

and i quote

they lack graphics, story lines, detailed character bios, and much more

end quote

i thought you lot would like to xpress some views on this

btw he has heard of monkey island might of played it

Marise-Chiko
Old 08-09-2004, 12:53 AM   #2

Graphics is arguable. The rest...

well

*hrm*

Old 08-09-2004, 12:57 AM   #3

Well he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. What's to discuss?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:22 AM   #4
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

It's obvious this guy thinks Rayman is an adventure.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:18 AM   #5
Professional Life Lover

Send a message via AIM to C_Knight Send a message via MSN to C_Knight

rofl he doesn't seem to elaborate on his points....

I myself like RPGs better, for reasons being the storylines (epic ones like novels) and game length..blah blah..
Old 08-09-2004, 07:38 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to edlglide

Other than the mention of graphics it sounds like he's talking about Myst/Riven and those games.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:23 PM   #7
TM3

I don't really think if it's an RPG or adventure that's better than the other. I just like anything story-driven! Occasionly I like the games that are just fun and don't need complex scripts.
I just want you to know who I am..."
"IRIS"-GOO GOO DOLLS
Old 08-11-2004, 05:42 AM   #8
No justice. Only me.

Well I have to say that in playing through KOTOR, I'm finding it to have one of the best stories of any game I've ever played. But I'm of the opinion that most genres of game can have a good story. Some of my favorite stories come from FPS games like NOLF.

And in general, I think that RPGs tend to have better storylines, since they are usually longer and can thus pack in more character development. Also, they often give you multiple ways to get past an obstacle, which has yet to really be mastered in an adventure game. (Although the upcoming adventure games like Fahrenheit look like they will take some strides in that direction.)

But really, I like adventure games more than RPGs in general because although some RPGs give you multiple paths to take, MOST force you into combat, combat, and more combat. And that gets tedious after a while if the combat is turn-based. (Diablo is something else entirely.)
Old 08-11-2004, 07:08 AM   #9

I enjoy both genres, but I would say there are some large differences between the two. Adventure games focus more on puzzle-solving and exploring while RPG games focus more on combat and stat building. Story-telling and interesting NPCs are important to both genres.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:52 AM   #10
Escaped Monkey Island

I love RPGs and adventures for different reasons. I like RPGs because of the massive play time and story and the feeling of accomplishment when you get done with them. And adventures are great for a more laid back experience where you don't necesarily have to worry about 'dying', and you can enjoy the story and characters.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:50 PM   #11
Master of Time and Space

Well, in my opinion Adventure + RPG = Great game. These genres do not have to exclude each other.
Anachronox and Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness are two of my favourite games.

But if I have to choose: adventure. Classic RPG's get boring after a while. Sometimes in RPG's, the story is an excuse.
Playing: Omikron: The Nomad Soul Next: Sanitarium Replaying: QFG IV: Shadows of Darkness, Grim Fandango, Syberia Waiting for: Max Payne 3, Deus Ex 3, American McGee's OZ, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Fahrenheit, Anachronox 2 (if they ever make it)
Old 08-11-2004, 03:02 PM   #12
guybrush_guy

I'm going stick to adventure games.
i love them to much to cheat on them. think of what the kids will think! the last thing i want is the relationship to end in a bitter divorce and then the kids will hate me forever.

Old 08-11-2004, 08:59 PM   #13
delusions of adequacy

RPG's are great because you can make your own character, and to varying degrees, make the story your own. I tend to feel more of a passenger when playing adventures. Which isn't so bad either. I agree with ConcreteRancor that a lot of rpgs force you into combat, I hate this not just because it frequently interrupts the story but because it feels like taking tests. The game is always testing to see if you've mastered this or that, have you picked the right stats?, do you have the right equipment to win this fight? and failure means death.

If I could play an adventure game that adapts to to the character I make at the start, or a roleplaying game that doesn't ask me to role a 20 sided dice and collect all 15 pieces of a magic suit of armor or die, I would be playing the perfect game.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:30 PM   #14

My tastes oscillate between RPG and adventure games depending on the time of year, but as I have less time for gaming these days, I'm preferring adventure over rpgs. I love the story potential in rpgs, but the battling and status-building is just getting too time-consuming (not to mention boring) for my schedule. These days I'm only willing to shell out time top-notch rpgs. To be fair though, when you get stuck in an adventure game it could also get really boring really quickly.

I wish there were some rpgs, when you decide to become a diplomatic character, you NEVER have to fight, since I play rpgs mostly for the story and character interaction. Planescape: Torment comes close (no overworld map, which eliminates a lot of battles), but most of the time when you play diplomatic characters, your strength sucks and you pay for that when you do have to fight. But anyway, when I get sick of that I go play adventure games.

Last edited by Yini; 08-11-2004 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:04 AM   #15
Escaped Monkey Island

Are there any AGs that show the character grow (say from child to adult). I think it'd be great if an AG incorporated features like gaining abilities through levels...like you can't pick up big objects until later levels (but you wouldn't need those abilities in earlier levels.) I think that would make things more interesting and really blur the lines between genres.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:40 AM   #16
Homer of Kittens

I would go with adventures just for the story telling and the bigger impact they leave on you, though new games I believe are lacking in terms of their depth (TLJ aside). I really can't think of any good RPG game in the near future (Not including the online RPG's) except for KOTR which had a better story than the actual Starwars movies episodes 1-2. Lucas should just adapt the story in the game for one of his SW movies, instead of sticking to the crap he's been producing lately. Oh and Is Freedom Force considered an RPG? That is one hell of a game.

Firefox rules
Old 08-12-2004, 09:44 AM   #17
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonGoodsoup
Are there any AGs that show the character grow (say from child to adult). I think it'd be great if an AG incorporated features like gaining abilities through levels...like you can't pick up big objects until later levels (but you wouldn't need those abilities in earlier levels.) I think that would make things more interesting and really blur the lines between genres.
Have you heard of fable? That is exactly what it offers. You get the character as a child and they say that you get to see him grow, and based on how you train him and how he behaves, it shapes his abilities and personality. Too bad it is coming out solely on the XBOX.

Firefox rules
Old 08-12-2004, 11:07 AM   #18
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
I would go with adventures just for the story telling and the bigger impact they leave on you, though new games I believe are lacking in terms of their depth (TLJ aside). I really can't think of any good RPG game in the near future (Not including the online RPG's) except for KOTR which had a better story than the actual Starwars movies episodes 1-2. Lucas should just adapt the story in the game for one of his SW movies, instead of sticking to the crap he's been producing lately. Oh and Is Freedom Force considered an RPG? That is one hell of a game.
Freedom Force is I think officially considered a strategy game with RPG elements, although in reality it's one of those great genre-bending games that defy definition.

If you pay attention to the U.S. PC Gamer awards in the year it came out, though, FF was every genre, including sports and simulation.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:40 PM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Other than the mention of graphics it sounds like he's talking about Myst/Riven and those games.
And on the graphics issue, maybe he's thinking of Zork: The Underground Empire?

Old 08-12-2004, 04:22 PM   #20
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Have you heard of fable? That is exactly what it offers. You get the character as a child and they say that you get to see him grow, and based on how you train him and how he behaves, it shapes his abilities and personality. Too bad it is coming out solely on the XBOX.
and its an RPG not an adventure