You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2004, 12:12 AM   #1
Citizen of Bizarro World

Default Lucas Arts memo

Quote:

LucasArts
No bonuses distributed this year

Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004
To:
Subject:

Folks,

As you know, we have just completed the annual appraisal process along with the allocation of merit increases. Along the way, members of the senior staff, in a responsible and commendable act, recommended to me, given the financial situation of the company, that there be no bonuses distributed this year. I'm writing to let you know that, regrettably, I agree with their recommendation and have made the decision that there will be no bonuses distributed this year for the entire company. I know this is disappointing news, but it's what we need to do.

In the eight or so weeks since I've been here, I've met and talked with many of you. And I'm going to get to all of you, believe me. But you need to know that I'm encouraged, amazed and inspired by the continued commitment and desire of everyone in this company to make LucasArts a better place. A place where we will make insanely great games that are the right insanely great games for the marketplace. Insanely great games that will sell to a broad consumer audience launch when they're supposed to and, at the end of the day, yield a profit for the entire company. Insanely great games that will restore the luster to the LucasArts logo so that when we, and our consumers, see it on our packaging and on our games, we'll all know that the Gold Guy is once again the mark of leading edge innovation, creativity and amazing fun.

But, unfortunately, we're not there yet. And as I look ahead, I realize we have some very tough challenges in all areas of our business. Our performance, qualitatively, strategically and financially, just isn't there. One of the primary consequences of this lack of performance is that we have to make some tough decisions, like this one, to get back on track.

As many of you know, we have undertaken a critical analysis of our company, our industry, our competitors and our consumers in order to develop a strategic plan that will allow us to make those insanely great games and deliver a level of profitability. I will be coming to you in the Fall time-frame with that plan. In the meantime we have critical milestones to achieve for each and every one of our games that are currently in development. All of us, together, must now take a stand, dig in, focus and commit to doing everything humanly possible to make these games a success. Take a step back and question the norm. Challenge the status quo. Satisfy yourself that we are making the greatest games possible, meeting our deadlines and doing so in the most cost-effective way.

And realize that each and every one of you IS a member of the team. You have a duty and a responsibility to speak up if you're dissatisfied with quality, timing or fiscal responsibility. I encourage you, and demand of you, that you take an active role in pushing our own envelope. I promise, you will be listened to. But once you are heard, do something about it. Make a difference. Effect change. Make Battlefront, Galaxies, KOTOR II, Mercenaries, Republic Commando and the Episode III games the best that they can be.

Again, I know the lack of bonuses this year is disappointing news. It's simply what must be done. But you have my commitment, my desire and my devotion to make LucasArts the most creative, innovative and insanely great interactive entertainment company in the industry. I hope I can count on you to do the same.

Thanks,
Jim Ward
I ran into this over at worldofmi.com ... I remember thinking "what an insanely great crock of shit!"
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 07-16-2004, 02:03 AM   #2
Irritant F0rum Beasty

This reminds me of a popular adventure game quote:

"I remember the year they built that, mainly because it cost so much, we didn't get bonuses that year."

Funny how reality sometimes imitates fiction. Lucasart's Entertainment Company has turned into the Department of Death i.e. it's completely corrupt now and they reduce their good employees (The Sam & Max team) to working in some tiny office which was previously known as "Storage Closet".

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ward
But you have my commitment, my desire and my devotion to make LucasArts the most creative, innovative and insanely great interactive entertainment company in the industry.
This one really makes me laugh.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!

Last edited by The Seed; 07-16-2004 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:44 AM   #3

Quote:
A place where we will make insanely great games that are the right insanely great games for the marketplace. Insanely great games that will sell to a broad consumer audience launch when they're supposed to and, at the end of the day, yield a profit for the entire company. Insanely great games that will restore the luster to the LucasArts logo so that when we, and our consumers, see it on our packaging and on our games, we'll all know that the Gold Guy is once again the mark of leading edge innovation, creativity and amazing fun.
..and then continue with....

Quote:
Make Battlefront, Galaxies, KOTOR II, Mercenaries, Republic Commando and the Episode III games the best that they can be.
Good ol´ Jimmy Bwoy cracks me up hehe
Old 07-16-2004, 04:57 AM   #4
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

So, is Jim Ward insane?

He keeps repeating that particular word so many times in that memo.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:04 AM   #5
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
So, is Jim Ward insane?
Yes, yes he is. He's just another mad man who happened to get into a position of power. I mean, any employee who has read that memo is bound to be feeling just a little bid scared right now.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!

Last edited by The Seed; 07-16-2004 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:06 AM   #6

Quote:
...will sell to a broad insane consumer audience launch when they're supposed...
I think they left that part out....
Old 07-16-2004, 06:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
Yes, yes he is. He's just another mad man who happened to get into a position of power. I mean, any employee who has read that memo is bound to be feeling just a little bid scared right now.
If that'd be my employer talking, I'd feel like I was part of some weird George Lucas sect. But seriously, what the hell was he thinking/smoking when he sent this memo?
Old 07-16-2004, 06:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
If that'd be my employer talking, I'd feel like I was part of some weird George Lucas sect. But seriously, what the hell was he thinking/smoking when he sent this memo?
Probably the concept art of another promising adventure that got stupidly cancelled...
Old 07-16-2004, 06:47 AM   #9
Hopeful skeptic

OK, someone's gotta ask: is this thing legit? The whole thing strikes me as "off". Not that LucasArts isn't legitimately capable of that.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:47 AM   #10
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Make Battlefront, Galaxies, KOTOR II, Mercenaries, Republic Commando and the Episode III games the best that they can be.
Interesting that out of all these games, Mercenaries is the only one that I'm at all excited about. Battlefront looks like it COULD be good, but considering how badly LucasArts has been crapping up their Star Wars games (and by Star Wars games, I mean all their games) recently, I'm sure they'll do something wrong with it.

The only really good LucasArts game that I can think of recently was Jedi Outcast. I have it, but it's a *gasp* burned copy. Probably the only time that I could justify any sort of pirating to myself. I wanted to play the game, but really didn't want to encourage LA by giving them my money for a Star Wars game.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:47 AM   #11
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Does anyone have any pictures of Jim Ward, I want to vandalize them.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:54 AM   #12
iddqd

Quote:
I don't know why but I found that tremendously funny. Probably because I am at work.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:01 AM   #13
No justice. Only me.

Here's a good one of him for you.

Old 07-16-2004, 08:23 AM   #14
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Hmm, there's really not a lot I could do to make that look any worse than it is, but at least now I have a mental image of the guy in my head. I just love demonizing people I don't know.

Old 07-16-2004, 08:24 AM   #15
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
OK, someone's gotta ask: is this thing legit? The whole thing strikes me as "off". Not that LucasArts isn't legitimately capable of that.
It's real.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:20 AM   #16
pain is love

Quote:
I found one:

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 07-16-2004, 11:28 AM   #17
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
I found one:
Hehehe. I thought of that, then was like: "Nooo... too easy."
Old 07-16-2004, 11:32 AM   #18
No justice. Only me.

Here's the real thing though, for all you who actually want to vandalize:

Old 07-16-2004, 11:39 AM   #19
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Probably the concept art of another promising adventure that got stupidly cancelled...
hehe--wrapping doobies in concept art paper? That would be funny if it didn't ring sadly true.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 07-16-2004, 11:44 AM   #20
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
ConcreteRancor, you have made me a very happy man. Ooh, I have an insanely brilliant idea, why don't we have a competition to see who can do the best job of vandalizing the Jim Ward photograph. Whada you say Mods, can we do it, can we please do it?