You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Are PC Games gonna die in a few years?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2004, 12:44 AM   #21
I see you!

Hey, people! Don't worry! Haven't you guys heard about the union of the Xbox 2 with the PC? The all new Xenon will blend PC graphic (other stuff too) tools and Xbox graphic tools to make a totally new breed of games! So calm down, people! 8-)
Old 08-05-2004, 08:00 AM   #22
Mostly absent

If everybody plays games on consoles, where do the new game developers come from?
Hey I know, they can start programming their games on the consoles!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:34 AM   #23
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

The PC game will die when the PC concept has died, but not before.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 08-05-2004, 09:10 AM   #24
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
These are all just opinions though, realistically the main driving force for consoles becoming the most prominent domain for gaming is the lower piracy rate. Have you ever tried to pirate a gamecube game?
As far as piracy goes, you can pirate any game on any console. I know you can pirate now Xbox games by soldering a chip onto the console. Do you think if consoles become the only alternative, crackers and piraters will just file for bankruptcy? They would switch their attention to pirate those instead? I thought with the introduction of CD's that piracy would be dead but soon enough you had CD burners. I believe that as long as the company has a method of creating the media, people have methods of copying it.

Firefox rules
Old 08-05-2004, 09:36 AM   #25
SamNMax

How wou;d PC gaming die? Sure, the console gaming is at it's peak, but seriously. Do any of you actually think that PC gaming will die? That's like asking "Will Mac kill Microsoft?"

Old 08-05-2004, 09:41 AM   #26
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
As far as piracy goes, you can pirate any game on any console. I know you can pirate now Xbox games by soldering a chip onto the console. Do you think if consoles become the only alternative, crackers and piraters will just file for bankruptcy? They would switch their attention to pirate those instead? I thought with the introduction of CD's that piracy would be dead but soon enough you had CD burners. I believe that as long as the company has a method of creating the media, people have methods of copying it.
You'll notice I mentioned gamecube. Seen what a gamecube 'cd' looks like? Have you tried using the xbox live service after installing a mod chip for your xbox?

Proprietary systems like the gamecube mini cd's and who knows what else they'll come up with that are far removed from common useage on a pc will only increase legitimate game sales. Hardcore pirates will never give up but joe schoolkid will eventually be shit out of luck if he cannot get his paws on the means to pirate whatever the heck he just downloaded off of the bittorrent network.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:51 AM   #27
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevXtreme
Hey, people! Don't worry! Haven't you guys heard about the union of the Xbox 2 with the PC? The all new Xenon will blend PC graphic (other stuff too) tools and Xbox graphic tools to make a totally new breed of games! So calm down, people! 8-)
Why does this sound all too familiar? Apple anybody? The Apple concept of making you buy both hardware and software did not work back then. Why would making the XBox a PC-like medium for games work?

Firefox rules
Old 08-05-2004, 09:58 AM   #28
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
You'll notice I mentioned gamecube. Seen what a gamecube 'cd' looks like? Have you tried using the xbox live service after installing a mod chip for your xbox?

Proprietary systems like the gamecube mini cd's and who knows what else they'll come up with that are far removed from common useage on a pc will only increase legitimate game sales. Hardcore pirates will never give up but joe schoolkid will eventually be shit out of luck if he cannot get his paws on the means to pirate whatever the heck he just downloaded off of the bittorrent network.
I understand but my point is that there is always a way to pirate software. And if Xboxes become the most popular way to play games, then believe me you'll see bit torernts and other technologies that will let you do that. Music was tough to move around first but then they discovered MP3's. Never underestimate the human mind. With all due respect to Microsoft employees, there are hackers out there who are just as smart. The only way to stop piracy in my opinion is to have someone like the Recording industry sue the living hell of everybody who tries to copy something.

Firefox rules
Old 08-05-2004, 11:14 AM   #29
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

What? PC games dying? The chances of that happening are the same of having a badger invasion in your sock drawer, while a purple kangaroo dances the macarena on the top of the Eiffel Tower, while wearing boxers ON A TUESDAY!!!
:eek:
But seriously I have no idea why you think PC gaming is dying, so maybe for every PC game they sell 10 PS2 games, so maybe piracy is out of control, etc, etc, yada, yada, drone, drone...

BUT... there are too many genres that work better on PC than consoles, FPS, RTS, adventure games, "Sim" like games, online games, US-style RPGs, bussines sims, kiddie games, educational games....

The console and PC gaming are different...

Soon you will have an PS3 and you won't use your PS2 that much, but you will always have your PC, maybe all the parts will be new, but it is STILL a PC!

As long we use PC, they will have games....

Like I said the chances of PC gaming dying are the same as a flea winning Wimbledon using a ninja halibut as a tennis racket.... While eating pie...
Old 08-05-2004, 12:38 PM   #30
Master of Time and Space

As I said, Crunchy, consoles encourage stupidity & discourage creativity and curiousity (both the cognitive & creative interest). As you said, just pop in the CD (or DVD) and play. No installing or problems translates into no thinking in the child's mind.
Most kids develop an interest in computers by playing PC games. I know I did, back when I was 9, I learned how to use the computer so that I could play games. Later the knowledge was very useful as a support for additional learning.
When you use a computer, you don't just play games, somtimes you tire and, out of curiosity, try using some programs. I learned Photoshop at an early age because I wanted more after playing with it. Now a console is a way to keep children busy and saves the parent from the question: "What does this button do?". But that's not what you really want from your kids, is it?

As for games that play better on the console, a Thrustmaster Dual Analog w. Force-Feedback is under 30$.
Playing: Omikron: The Nomad Soul Next: Sanitarium Replaying: QFG IV: Shadows of Darkness, Grim Fandango, Syberia Waiting for: Max Payne 3, Deus Ex 3, American McGee's OZ, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Fahrenheit, Anachronox 2 (if they ever make it)
Old 08-05-2004, 12:49 PM   #31
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Boots
As I said, Crunchy, consoles encourage stupidity & discourage creativity and curiousity
Bwahahahahahahah. Elitism to the max.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 08-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #32
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Boots
...consoles encourage stupidity & discourage creativity and curiousity (both the cognitive & creative interest). As you said, just pop in the CD (or DVD) and play. No installing or problems translates into no thinking in the child's mind.
Sly, that was such a ridiculous statement to make! Come on, be realistic. Not all people (children) who play computer games will development an interest to be a consummate geek, and not all console gamers have a disinterest against exploring computers.

That said, I think it's quite unfair of you to dismiss the console. You forget that it's vitally instrumental in bringing the interactive medium to the masses of the world, legitimizing the computer/video game as a truly viable and unique entertainment (and even educational) source. Considering that gaming has now become an $11 billion industry as well as an extremely powerful cultural phenomenon, that dismissal should be below you.

That said, questioning the mortality of PC gaming is also shortsighted. As is already stated, PC gaming will always be the best benchmark for gaming in general, primarily because its technology is usually several steps ahead of the console. The games industry responds to this, to the most hardcore gamers and their tastes and preferences. The hardcore PC gamers are the scouts, the mavericks - the lab rats, if you will. The technology makes possible too many great ideas to incorporate in any game. Besides, the games themselves are always developed on the computer anyway. With upcoming titles like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Facade, and others that are being developed on and for PC, it's eventual that ideas will trickle down to the console.

You should also remember that most of the world is not made up of gaming geeks who like spending thousands of dollars a year buying the graphics card of the minute and play Everquest 16 hours a day. Many of those who purchase consoles are families who don't give a damn about spending that much just for a gaming session a couple hours a week. My sister and brother-in-law bought an Xbox for their little kids, d'you honestly think they'd hang out in the gaming forums for hours just to talk about the new GeForce or Radeon? They also don't or can't afford to care about upgrading constantly. But you must admire and appreciate them, they are major contributors to the ubiquity of games and gaming culture. The console is their instrument of choice.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-05-2004, 02:13 PM   #33

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Well said, Trep, well said!

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 08-05-2004, 03:03 PM   #34
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Lets also not forget that consoles are static technologies. They only upgrade and change with each new generation. PCs on the other hand have a long term advantage in that they are constantly updated and "evolve". So following on from what Intrepid said that gives it a big advantage.

And lets face it, a console in the end is just a cut down, standardised & proprietary PC (PC in the broadest sense). It makes it easier to sell games to people and it even allows some price fixing, but it isn't that different technologically from most PCs. It's something a sizeable number of people will probably not buy into, whereas a PC is something alot of people will buy because it is so versatile. So as Ragnar said, as long as there are PCs there will be games.

I personally think (though I know nothing about it) what we're seeing is a readjustment. PCs suit certain types of gameplay, consoles other types of gameplay. PC game users have certain tastes, console users other tastes. The Publishers meanwhile are trying to sell the same games on all major platforms, to both sets of gamers. I personally think this convergance mentality of the big publishers is wrong, and thats why we're perhaps seeing less interesting PC games at the moment. When someone outside the big 4 or 5 starts to cash in on their mistake then maybe we'll see a change and a resurgance in the types of games that work well on PCs.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 08-05-2004, 04:22 PM   #35
merely human

Publishers, to the disadvantage of some and the advantage of others, will always try to capitalize on the largest market possible. And currently that market is the console, precisely because of the demographics involved - families, couples, maintstreamers who know next to nothing about hardware because they have other concerns (like paying for their kids' school supplies) but still want to enjoy gaming. As I stated, these people are the [currently] largest market possible to tap into. And as with any market they have their priorities and preferences. And now they - not we, the hardcore gamers - are the ones who are spreading the 'gospel' of gaming. Thus, it's inevitable that many of the larger companies invest in them.

But that will never kill, let alone dwindle, the PC games market. Technologically and conceptually, the PC really is where the innovation lies, where many young upstart creative minds generate their ideas. The bona fide business construct (licensing, royalty fees, exclusivity, etc.) of the console industry prevents much divergence and deviant thinking precisely because it's geared towards as huge a market base as possible, and because the static technology blocks many possibilities to realize new concepts. Thankfully, the PC games industry is more flexible for such a malleability. There is far more encouragement and opportunity. And of course, those ideas will filter down to and even be refined on, the console.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-05-2004, 04:33 PM   #36

Just as a point of note, consoles are not solely the realm of the non-hardcore these days. The Xbox in particular is gaining a reputation for being the console of choice among hardcore gamers, especially with its Xbox Live service.

Old 08-05-2004, 04:40 PM   #37
merely human

Oh, of course! There is an obscenely strong community of Xbox whores out there, as well as Gamecube whores and PS2 whores. Whores! All over the place!
Old 08-05-2004, 09:15 PM   #38
Disciplined Breakdown

PC games are now getting an excellent boost with the release of Psychonaughts now announced for it.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:57 PM   #39
Alien Hunter

Nope. It's not gonna happen. The PC games will always be my favorite choice. Besides, if there ever becomes a low point in PC gaming, I'll just keep playing all the games I've collected over the past 16 years.

My 286 still works, so does my 486. Can't seem to let go of the old machines.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:38 AM   #40
After 2 years...

NO!!!
you are in a
Dreamfall