You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Fallout 3 by Bethesda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 04:15 PM   #1

Default Fallout 3 by Bethesda

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07...s_6102349.html

Great news for rpg-fans... or not?
I don't know. Elder Scrolls is an excelent series but this was black isle studios game and I think they were the best. Can bethesda find their way around in a post-apocalyptic world?
Old 07-12-2004, 04:25 PM   #2

OMG FALLOUT 3 YES!

I think Bethesda will do a good job.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:20 PM   #3
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

It will go fully 3D, most likely. But I trust they will do a decent job. They better, as fans are now focusing on them and making sure to document any mistakes along the way.

I personally would have preferred Bioware or Obsidian... (Obsidian probably has no real funding to bid on that IP, however)
Old 07-12-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
Mourning Sam & Max 2

Can't say I'm a big fan of Morrowind... and I loved Fallout... so hopefully, they won't mess it up and make it Morrowindish... Man are they going to hear it if they mess up this one
Old 07-12-2004, 08:03 PM   #5

Default It's true...Fallout 3 is being made.

This is definitely good news, for everyone who is a beloved fan of the Fallout Games, and it's also being made by the people who made the Elder Scrolls Series, Bethesda Softworks, so that sounds like they have skills in making role-playing games.

However, I went to Gamespot to confirm the news that it's being made by Bethesda, and I noticed something in the article that is a bit surprising. It sounds like they are hiring developers to make the game only for Future-Generation Consoles, like the PC for example, and that doesn't sound right to me. It should be released for all consoles, including the Gamecube, X-Box, and Playstation 2 if they want it to be a big success. The article is located at The Role-Playing Game section of Gamespot. Take a look at it if you want, and see what you think
Old 07-12-2004, 08:08 PM   #6

Neat.... the Fallout games always did feel a bit like 2d turn based Elders Scroll games, set in a future fallout of course.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 07-12-2004, 09:16 PM   #7

Looks promising, despite the fact that I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before. I do enjoy console RPGs and some old-school PC RPGs like The Bard's Tale, but haven't been able to get into a PC RPG in a long time. My computer probably can't run Morrowind either!
Old 07-13-2004, 01:02 AM   #8
Pete.

Send a message via MSN to Petteri

That's good news indeed. I never played the first Fallout (except for the demo), but I loved the second one. I used to play it until I got bored to it. Hopefully Fallout 3 will be atleast as good as Fallout 2. 8-)
Old 07-13-2004, 02:19 AM   #9

Yay! Finally a buggy Fallout game!

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:20 AM   #10
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
However, I went to Gamespot to confirm the news that it's being made by Bethesda, and I noticed something in the article that is a bit surprising.
They're just hiring some people for "next gen" consoles. Big deal. The next wave of consoles is very near, and most developers already have dev kits for them. Developers have to work a few years ahead.

It's just speculation at this point. For all we know it could be the next Elder Scrolls game that's next gen. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft gave them a good amount of money to create an Elder Scrolls RPG for the Xbox 2. (And I wouldn't be too surprised if Bioware's "Intellectual Property 2" turns out to be an Xbox 2 title, while we're on the subject.)
Old 07-13-2004, 06:13 AM   #11
delusions of adequacy

Well thank god they're hiring. Morrowind on the Xbox was a ****ing crime with all the bugs and disc errors that thing generated.

Putting aside the bugs, Morrowind was big, long, and for the most part tedious. Quest after quest of please go travel a really long distance in order to a) get a parcel b) kill someone, c) kill someone and get a parcel. A wonderful world where nearly every NPC you meet insults you if you walk near their cardboard standee avatar and then spits out page after page of text about the rich and wonderful history of a very static and unfriendly world.

I haven't seen evidence that Bethesda are up to the amusing dialogue that is all through the fallout games and sticking with their current method of delivery is one more reason to approach with caution.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:25 AM   #12
Mourning Sam & Max 2

I just can't see the fallout gameplay on a console If they mess this one up................. Perhaps I'm being to negative
Old 07-13-2004, 09:24 AM   #13

I must admit I'm surprised at how much the Fallout "fans" (especially the ones at No Mutants Allowed, the number one fansite for the game) are bitching about this. This is the best news for the franchise in years, and they're doing pretty much nothing but complaining. I wish they'd STFU and let Bethesda do what they do best, instead of trying to "force" them to make it a 2D isometric turn based game _just_ like the two last games in the series.

I mean, if all they want is a copy of Fallout 1, why can't they just make one themselves?
Old 07-13-2004, 10:10 AM   #14

Well the 2D isometric view and turn-based combat just so happen to be some of the most important elements of a Fallout game to many fans, and I'm no exception. Keeping them intact is hardly the same as making a copy of the original Fallout. Get real.

That said, I'm willing to give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt and won't judge the game until I've played it. I'd be lying, though, if I said I'm very hopeful about the upcoming game. It has a hell of a lot to live up to.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:00 AM   #15
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a 2D game. Bethesda has poured years of manhours into making their current engine and world building tools and it would be foolish of them to create a second 2D engine from scratch. However, Bethesda knows they'll get serious backlash if they just slap Morrowind-style gameplay mechanics onto the Fallout brand. As one associate producer said "We're not making Morrowind with guns."

Some skepticism is always healthy, but I agree that what goes on at No Mutants Allowed etc., before anyone has seen or heard a single thing of the game (because Bethesda hasn't even finished a design doc let alone gotten a team together) is unwarranted and unrespectful. I think most fans just want to demonstrate how, ahem, "hardcore" they really are. Pretty stupid, in my opinion.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthboy
Well the 2D isometric view and turn-based combat just so happen to be some of the most important elements of a Fallout game to many fans, and I'm no exception. Keeping them intact is hardly the same as making a copy of the original Fallout. Get real. .
No, I insist on being unreal for the time being.

Anyway, I can understand you to a certain extent, but to me the only thing they should (but not "must") keep is the turn-based combat. Games such as Wizardry 8 has proven that it is quite possible to have turn-based combat in a first person 3D game, which is what I hope Fallout 3 becomes (IMO, first person is the best viewpoint for RPGs).

Even with real-time combat, I doubt it will turn into an action-RPG (which is something a lot of people seems to be afraid of). Morrowind is not an action-RPG, despite the realtime combat, and neither is Arx Fatalis.

Quote:
That said, I'm willing to give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt and won't judge the game until I've played it. I'd be lying, though, if I said I'm very hopeful about the upcoming game. It has a hell of a lot to live up to.
I agree. I think Bethesda Softworks have proven themselves as a developer of fine RPGs, and I don't think anyone (except _maybe_ Troika) can do a much better job than them. We'll just have to wait and see, though.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:25 AM   #17
delusions of adequacy

Blindly flailing a weapon that effortlessly passes through walls, monsters and what ever you swing it at, and randomly 'hitting' isn't really my idea of action either I agree. I must admit I've not tried Wizardry 8, the notion of first person turn based combat makes me giggle still so I must give it a try. How much control do you have over your party members in Wizardry 8? I should imagine keeping track of where they are and what they're doing while you're in first person mode would be a hassle.

I don't want to seem a fallout fanboi here though by just bashing Morrowind, so I'll just add that if Bethesda wish to truly please fallout fans everywhere with a 'perfect' sequel they had better include party member AI that results in you getting shot in the back nearly every single battle.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
I must admit I've not tried Wizardry 8, the notion of first person turn based combat makes me giggle still so I must give it a try. How much control do you have over your party members in Wizardry 8? I should imagine keeping track of where they are and what they're doing while you're in first person mode would be a hassle.
It's been a while, but on the surface the game is pretty much like other 1st person RPGs with turn-based combat (such as the Might & Magic-series). However, you get a sort of overhead radar view-thingie (sorry again, it's really been a while) where you can put your guys in various formations by sending some to the front, some to the rear, et.c. I can't remember the specifics, but I thought it worked very well when I played it.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:49 PM   #19
i'm with... <thud>

Default bethesda purchases fallout series

any thoughts on this from you PC rpg gamers who have experienced the fallout series and bethesda's masterwork?
Old 08-27-2004, 01:56 PM   #20
SamNMax

Go lie down.