You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Rumor: full beta of HL2 (code + graphics) leaked as well?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2003, 10:39 AM   #1
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Default Rumor: full beta of HL2 (code + graphics) leaked as well?

The following appeared on http://www.halflife2.net/ :

Quote:
As most of you in IRC and on the forums already know, a pre-release version of Half-Life 2 has found its way onto Peer-to-peer, IRC, and web warez networks around the globe.

We ask all of our participants of our community, both in our IRC channel (irc.quakenet.org #halflife2) and our forum, to remain as sensible and calm about the situation as possible. We will not hesitate to ban users posting screenshots of the source, where to get the source, code from the source, the file name of the Half-Life 2 pre-release, where to get the pre-release or any content remotely similar to this likeness.

If you do insist on discussing the pre-release (in an appropriate, and legal manner), we would prefer you do it in our IRC channel (irc.quakenet.org #halflife2) rather than in our forums, for moderation related reasons.
What worries me is that HalfLife2.net is usually a reliable source, which means it could very well be true.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:41 AM   #2
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Hmmmm:

Quote:
thats the compiled source test version. the beta that I had was 1.5 gigs in size. it is pure crap and definately a mis-representation (if you can even say that) of what the final game will be.

you are exactly correct. there is nothing to see, and you'll be wasting your time getting the beta. I have already removed it. For those looking to actually play, you wont find it here. Its more of load a map, look at half finished map, move stuff with the manipulator.

the game contains e3 maps as well as some other maps. many are missing. for example there is a map of some underground tunnels, but you walk through them and you get to the end, and nothing happens. I am guessing that this is a point where the next part loads, except in this so called "beta" nothing happens. You can go into a room with 5 bad guys and they don't shoot at you, because they are not scripted. like I said this beta sucks and it is more of an alpha.

Like the UT2003 leak alpha demo ... It's just shit , nothing to see ... Just waisting you'r time to get it anyway .

there is no gameplay. you load the map and you basically look at it. many maps are missing textures and many scripted events. put it this way, you walk around looking at orange or white walls, floor and ceiling. there is no gameplay, there is no beta... it is more of an early alpha, a development version.
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1
Old 10-07-2003, 11:01 AM   #3
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Sounds kinda like the Doom 3 Alpha. The enemies didn't actually attack you in that one, cause they weren't scripted to.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:56 PM   #4
Burning

This is getting worse...

I was eagerly anticipating the release of this game, but looks like HL2 will be cancelled in the end taking Valve with it. Situation is really grim for Valve, all source code stolen, now resources are also leaked. If they release product now then there is dilemma how much hackers can exploit it, and if they re-write it no one knows how long it will take. Just hoping something good comes out of this i.e. Half Life being released, and Valve saved.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:02 PM   #5
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Wait, so are there two versions out, a leaked alpha and a version made from the compiled leaked source code, or is there just the leaked alpha version? I'm hoping for the latter, since that version seems pretty harmless.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-07-2003, 11:17 PM   #6
Joop Sloop

*sigh* : /

teh suck
Old 10-08-2003, 12:42 AM   #7
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/07/comm...ming/index.htm

Here some more on the subject.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:25 AM   #8
El Luchador

http://www.users.qwest.net/~amerrill/hl2/
Old 10-08-2003, 03:30 AM   #9
Revolution Fanatic

There are some videos of it floating on the web, I wouldn't download the beta aside from the virus aspect. It looks crap cause a hella load of resources are still missing.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:12 AM   #10
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Someone decided to upload the scripts included with this version of the game along with pictures of the character models.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/fluffyguts/HL2/... click at your own risk. There are some spoilers to be found there, though they're far from being huge.

Spoiler:
But, well, at least now I know how the Combine soldiers look like without a uniform... yuck. :eek:

From the comments I've seen so far, the AI is largely inactive and there are big clipping problems. But everyone also agrees that the physics are wicked fun.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:41 AM   #11
Under pressure.

Why are people downloading a crappy leaked beta, that's only going to spoil the surprise and fun of everything? It doesn't even resemble the game at all.

It's like watching a low-quality streaming movie in RealPlayer, ugh!

--Erwin
Old 10-08-2003, 05:04 AM   #12
El Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
It's like watching a low-quality streaming movie in RealPlayer, ugh!
It's like deciding to just go screw the slutty, ugly girl instead of having to spend time smooth-talking the selective, hot chick.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:18 AM   #13
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naveed
This is getting worse...

I was eagerly anticipating the release of this game, but looks like HL2 will be cancelled in the end taking Valve with it. Situation is really grim for Valve, all source code stolen, now resources are also leaked. If they release product now then there is dilemma how much hackers can exploit it, and if they re-write it no one knows how long it will take. Just hoping something good comes out of this i.e. Half Life being released, and Valve saved.
Don't be so fucking melodramatic, it is not nearly as bad as you're making it seem. Get a hold of yourself!
Old 10-08-2003, 10:46 AM   #14
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
It's like deciding to just go screw the slutty, ugly girl instead of having to spend time smooth-talking the selective, hot chick.
So you're saying those people are either lazy or impatient?

--Erwin
Old 10-08-2003, 06:32 PM   #15
Munior Jember

By far, my most favourite screenshots are in this thread.
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1
Except for the first post.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:40 PM   #16
El Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
So you're saying those people are either lazy or impatient?

--Erwin
Impatient. And in the case of the source stealers, stupid. I mean, if you've got a shot at the hot chick, do you go score with the ugly slut instead? And after you've screwed her the hot chick's either gone or with someone else.