You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General After Half Life (A Mini Review) [May contain slight spoilers]

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray
Default After Half Life (A Mini Review) [May contain slight spoilers]

Ridiculous, it may seem.

Ludicrous even.

But finally, after six years, tonight, I finished Half Life for the very first time.

And boy, do I feel a sensation of regret for leaving it so long.

I got hold of the game, the christmas after it was released (pretty much, as soon as it came to stores) and I got straight into it. I was ploughing my way through the levels, evading everything the military could throw at me, schooling slimy mutants, left and right. Yet, for reasons I can no longer remember, I let the game collect dust, when I got to games conclusion, in Xen.

Up till now, that is.

Let me say, right off the bat, that, to me at least, the story of Half Life and the atmosphere that the game generates, is still very strong to this day, (in the earlier stages at least). Graphically, obviously, the game no longer holds up to your Unreal Tournament 2k4's and Far Cry's, but it still does it's job.

However, I cannot help but keep thinking, how much more fulfilled I would have felt, had I completed this game, when I first set out to do so, all of those years ago.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there was something about completing Half Life just now, that felt...plastic?

I beat the last boss, I admired the fancy way that he made his exit, I listened to the final moments of the game, I made my choice, and now I am at a par with the majority of the PC FPS playing population, awaiting the sequal, and the next assignment of Gordon Freeman.

Maybe I've played too many of these games over the years, but it felt like I had just, finished another game. There was no afterthought, no wondering, no sense of acheivement or wow factor. I just thought, oh well, and made preparations to play my next game...

Don't get me wrong, there were many sections in the game that I adored!! The green tentacles, the adrenaline rush of escaping the military, the science labratories, and interacting with a whole cast of characters along the way.

I just thought, that after completing, what many consider to be, one of the greatest games ever made, I'd feel something more.

I would still go on record to say, that Half Life is certainly, one of the best First Person Shooters, I have EVER played, and believe me, I've played them all, near enough.

I think I've begun to learn the difference between a first and third person game, except, obviously, for the graphical implications. Because in essence, you are Gordon Freeman in Half Life, whereas in Final Fantasy 7, you're watching Cloud's story unfold.

I'm not comparing Fantasy 7 and Half Life by any stretch, just the difference between a first and third person game, and how attached you, the player, can become to the protagonist/s.

I would still recomend to anyone, who has never played or finished Half Life, to do so. If you're even remotely an FPS fan, then you need to get hold of this game! It took the principles that Wolfenstein had created, and spun the whole thing on it's head! The first true, must have FPS game!

Overall, it was fun replaying Half Life, and FINALLY, finishing the game, after all this time. I just think, that I have since been spoiled, by other games in the genre, that had modified the formula set here, and added new dimensions, that sparked a greater interest.

My qualm with the game? I should have finished it sooner.

My (not so well designed) bowling website, complete with pictures from our golden pin victory!

C'MON!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 04:54 PM   #2

I understand what you are saying completly as i just finished half life a month ago after several attempts earlier to play it (in my younger days i wasn't a fan of fps but everyone told me i just HAD to play it) I also miss that feeling that I had actually accomplished something great by beating the game, i just felt like "thats the end of that, time to wait for half life 2"

I think it really has something to do with when you play the game and the shared experince you have with other gamers. I enjoy Space Quest 3 immensly, I love the jokes the graphics the play style, but freinds i have tried to show the game point and laugh. When I do get them to try it, even if they have enjoyed it they have the "eh, it was alright" attitude. However when I talk about the game to my best freind we get into a fevered pitch on how great it was and quickly rush to play it yet again!

Perhaps half life would have been better for me if I had someone to talk to and say "wow did you see that part with the thing, that was awsome!!" but no, i quietly played it by myself and when i did try to mention a part i would get "yea dumbass that game came out years ago"

I havn't been a member to these forums for very long, but i realize while writing this that that is what i'm looking for, the sense of community, from those who love adventure games as much as I do.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Gordon never speaks and there is not much emphasis on character interaction or development, nor is there a very big plot. It's something we are only starting to expect of FPS games these days, actually, having had many other genres doing it many, many years before.

But that's not why Half-Life succeeded, of course. It was because of it's brilliant design and how it introduced elements like intelligent AI, a multitude of handy weapons, a game scenario that made sense and was believable (Except for Xen perhaps), no health packs but rather refilling stations, some NPC interaction and much more. The game was quite a romp from the beginning to the end, IMO. Valve also capitalized on the mod-making community and managed to do what id Software had miserably failed to achieve and Epic Games had only mildly touched upon: Let the fans keep the game alive with their own original content.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:06 AM   #4
Citizen of Bizarro World

You know what I don't like about Half Life 2 is how the game just ASSUMES that you took G-string up on his offer, and builds a sequel on that premise. How about making something for us loyal fans who chose to
Spoiler:
get transported weaponless into a room filled with hundreds of 7ft aliens ready to shoot flies up your a**?
I hate their game already
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 07-06-2004, 04:03 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fool
Gordon never speaks and there is not much emphasis on character interaction or development, nor is there a very big plot. It's something we are only starting to expect of FPS games these days, actually, having had many other genres doing it many, many years before.

But that's not why Half-Life succeeded, of course. It was because of it's brilliant design and how it introduced elements like intelligent AI, a multitude of handy weapons, a game scenario that made sense and was believable (Except for Xen perhaps), no health packs but rather refilling stations, some NPC interaction and much more. The game was quite a romp from the beginning to the end, IMO. Valve also capitalized on the mod-making community and managed to do what id Software had miserably failed to achieve and Epic Games had only mildly touched upon: Let the fans keep the game alive with their own original content.
Amen.

I believe much of Half Life's success was due to it's fans. They kept that game alive, with mods aplenty, and gracious level designs.

And of course, Counterstrike.

My (not so well designed) bowling website, complete with pictures from our golden pin victory!

C'MON!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 05:20 AM   #6
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
You know what I don't like about Half Life 2 is how the game just ASSUMES that you took G-string up on his offer, and builds a sequel on that premise. How about making something for us loyal fans who chose to
Spoiler:
get transported weaponless into a room filled with hundreds of 7ft aliens ready to shoot flies up your a**?
I hate their game already
The press release for HL2 in an alternate reality:

In Half-Life 2, you again play as Gordon Freeman, but this time YOU are the bad guy! Having rejected the G-man's offer, Gordon was killed at the end of the original Half-Life and his corpse given to the headcrabs. Now one of the zombies that he battled before, Gordon has to come to terms with his new identity while he hungers for the sweet, succulent flesh that he must consume to sustain his eternal half life.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:44 AM   #7
Junior Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to Krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fool

If I remember the game ALSO had health packs as well, and the refilling staion thing was used YEARS ago (1994) in Marathon (which also had a better plot IMHO )
Old 07-06-2004, 09:04 AM   #8
Life and times of...

Hmm... Maybe I should try to finish it too... Doesn't HL2 update the graphics to that level or something? I think I'll wait for that
Old 07-06-2004, 09:09 AM   #9

Seriously Upt?!

I'd heard rumor that Valve was going to ship the original Half Life, with the sequal free of charge, but I didn't realise they were going to up the graphical spec as well!?!?

Oooooh man. . I was going to buy the game before, but now...

On a side note - does anyone know anything more about this special release of Doom 3 that ID software are releasing in August!?! There are going to be two versions of Doom 3. The one next month, and one due out in October!??! All very confusing.

Is Doom 3 a remake of the original???

C'MON!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 12:03 PM   #10
No justice. Only me.

According to the most recent PC Gamer, Half-Life 2 will ship with graphically updated versions of Team Fortress and Counterstrike as multiplayer, and it implied that yes, it would upgrade the original Half-Life with the Source engine as well. (Although I think you have to OWN the original game in order for that to work.) I wonder if it will work for Opposing Force too?

As far as Doom 3 goes, I think it is a remake, albeit one that goes at a much slower pace than the original Doom. (So that you can admire all the fancy scenery.) That disappoints me. In fact, I have yet to be convinced that there will be an actual game behind the tech demo that is Doom 3.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotray
Seriously Upt?!

I'd heard rumor that Valve was going to ship the original Half Life, with the sequal free of charge, but I didn't realise they were going to up the graphical spec as well!?!?

Oooooh man. . I was going to buy the game before, but now...
The leaked alpha version (Despite popular belief it was not in a beta state) of Half-Life 2 included the necessary files to play Half-Life using the Source engine. The models were pretty much the same, as were the textures, but the water and physics had all changed for the better. As for how Valve will release the final port is anybody's guess. I'd think that Opposing Force and Blue Shift will also be running on Source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
As far as Doom 3 goes, I think it is a remake, albeit one that goes at a much slower pace than the original Doom. (So that you can admire all the fancy scenery.) That disappoints me. In fact, I have yet to be convinced that there will be an actual game behind the tech demo that is Doom 3.
Part remake, part original concept. I guess a fitting word is 'retelling'. It takes place on Mars and has many of the classic Doom monsters but also introduces new ones. The plot is somewhat the same, although id Software are promising a much bigger plot involvement than in their previous games. Should be interesting to see how this works out.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:31 PM   #12
No justice. Only me.

Right. I was thinking of Doom 3 being a "remake" of Doom in the same sense that Evil Dead 2 is a "remake" of Evil Dead.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Right. I was thinking of Doom 3 being a "remake" of Doom in the same sense that Evil Dead 2 is a "remake" of Evil Dead.
Exactly.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:45 PM   #14
merely human

According to the press Doom 3 will be a remake of the original Doom, yes. The emphasis this time, other than the graphics, is on a more dramatic narrative presentation and a better screenplay and cinematic. How that will be done we'll just have to wait and see. They promised us a more suspenseful mood, where you'll be wary of looking around corners and keeping an eye on the shadows.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien