You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Silent Hill 4 Box Cover

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2004, 09:36 AM   #1
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax
Default Silent Hill 4 Box Cover

Here's the cover for Silent Hill 4, which is coming out September 8th in North America. Not bad, not bad at all. A lot better than the huge head cover of SH3.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 06-29-2004, 09:52 AM   #2
Antibacterial

Send a message via MSN to RemiO

I'd prefer it without the face, and the logo a bit further down to show of the door more.

Still, not bad at all.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:52 AM   #3
guybrush_guy

I'm really curious on how this game is going to turn out, I've seen the in game video's and they look awesome but I'm still a little skeptic

Old 06-29-2004, 11:03 AM   #4
merely human

I agree, please remove that cheap-ass Resident Evil face and keep the rest. At the risk of being snobby, I've always liked the more cerebral and abstract box art of the SH series.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-29-2004, 11:52 AM   #5
After 2 years...

*is still scared from the "flying" zombies :eek:

A nice box, but...were is a bigger version?
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 06-29-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
Evil Incarnate

Quote:
I'd prefer it without the face, and the logo a bit further down to show of the door more.

Still, not bad at all.
I totally agree.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:21 PM   #7
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Cheesy boxart, designed to 'shock' the average shelf browser. Looks like PAL gamers win yet again (Not really, as the PAL box art is also rather crap):

Amazon.co.uk item listing

Fun Fact #1: Amazon.com didn't have the game listed, so I couldn't find big NTSC box art.

Fun Fact #2: The Amazon.com editors don't seem capable of sorting the items correctly. See the 'New Releases: PlayStation 2' page to see what I mean...

Last edited by Royal Fool; 06-29-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:42 PM   #8

I actually rather like the PAL one. The other one is fine too. Not brilliant, but fine.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:51 PM   #9

I pretty much dislike both cover designs, and any SH cover really. Seriously, covers should try to be more.. subtle, or what trep said, I dunno, I still see awesome potential for more handdrawn box art though.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:31 PM   #10
guybrush_guy

I'm not sure if I'm correct in this statement I'm about to say but i always thought that only people who bought silent hill were fans of the series not the individual games. even if the box art was white and just said "silent hill 4" it would still sell the same as really nice artistic box art.

Old 06-29-2004, 07:14 PM   #11
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Well, true, Silent Hill isn't your average casual gamer series, but then again people tend to pick up games (Or movies) in a series even if it's like the 3rd or 4th entry. I myself don't normally do that, if I am interested I generally try seeking out the previous games/movies first and seeing it all in order, but not everyone thinks that way, I guess.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:51 PM   #12
Antibacterial

I still think the Japanese cover is the better one:

http://gallery.felixmcli.org/gallery/shboxes/sh4_jp
Old 06-29-2004, 09:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiO
I still think the Japanese cover is the better one
Now that is something I would instantly buy without even thinking about it.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:06 AM   #14
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:

That is definately the best of the covers for SH4
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:00 AM   #15
some may call me tofu

Send a message via AIM to guybrush122

This game certainly looks great, but I'm still pissed off since Silent Hill 3. (The only enjoyment in that game was the Shakespeare puzzle and the poetry puzzle. Everything else was terrible. BASTARDS!)

Forgive my skepticism, but if this game turns out to be just another ill-plotted gore-fest (not that I mind gore, it's just all gore and no story makes guybrush a cranky person to live with), I will have a FIELD DAY with Konami...

Okay fine, I'll have a field day with Konami in my head.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:24 AM   #16
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

I really can't figure out these japanese lads... i can understand they have their own letters, but why do they mixed them with latin alphabet all the time is beyond my comprehension. You can find this kind of mixing also in FF series, every written line of dialog, text is in japanese, while the various fight bars are marked with normal latin letters like HP, AP, etc...
Old 06-30-2004, 11:43 AM   #17
merely human

Quote:

8-) Now THAT is damn good box art! Applause, applause!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-30-2004, 06:14 PM   #18

Send a message via ICQ to Jakek Send a message via AIM to Jakek Send a message via MSN to Jakek Send a message via Yahoo to Jakek

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush122
This game certainly looks great, but I'm still pissed off since Silent Hill 3. (The only enjoyment in that game was the Shakespeare puzzle and the poetry puzzle. Everything else was terrible. BASTARDS!).
GAH! GAH! Heracy! Silent Hill 3 was a brilliant wrap-up of the story line from the first game. Maybe you have to be a bit of an SH buff, but it was all very very good. The gameplay was brilliant aswell, by the way.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:27 PM   #19
merely human

Heracy? You mean heresy, right?

I thought the gameplay in SH3 was pretty conventional myself, standard and predictable. Run for your life and fight if absolutely necessary, basically. But some of the puzzles, imo, trumps many puzzles from mediocre traditional adventure games - devious and clever at times. And yes, the story nicely and tidily answered some lingering questions from the first SH. Unfortunately it also ruined some fans' theories on what might have happened, such as...
Spoiler:
those that proposed that Harry Mason's experience was all just a dream and that he was actually comatose and lying in a hospital bed after that car crash.

BTW, I really, really missed the air raid sirens, they should have been also included in SH3, would have made for a nice continuity. Anyone else?
Old 06-30-2004, 07:52 PM   #20
Antibacterial

There were a lot of good qualities with SH3 - puzzles as mentioned, good locations, some interesting attention to detail, etc. My main problem with it was that SH1 was designed to be a game that wasn't supposed to be wrapped up in a tidy little package, yet that was what they - not including the original director - went and did.

I keep hearing mixed things about SH4, but am obviously waiting to judge it until I play it. From what I understand it's fairly (though not completely) freestanding from the other games, and that counts as a positive for me. Guess we'll see.