You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Games in which you so badly want co-op mode

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2004, 01:08 PM   #1
merely human

Default Games in which you so badly want co-op mode

Hitman Contracts: "Erkki, meet me
in the kitchen in 5 minutes. I just poisoned
the soup and need you as a waiter to deliver
it to the target. I can't leave because there's
a guard who'll get suspicious."

Hitman 2 and Hitman: Contracts concept. I am so broke, can't afford either atm. But I had just finished the St. Petersburg demo for Hitman 2, and I thought, this game would be cool to have co-op. Say, a mission where Erkki and I would start at opposite ends of a level and agree to meet at so-and-so and we would have to synchronize our timing (communicating via headsets), have 3 or 4 targets to eliminate, and even be able to correct one another's screwups before they're discovered. We could swap weapons and items (trade poison tablets for chloroform), spy on each other's targets and exchange info on them, and plan our hits together.

Silent Hill 2: "Trep, I'm at the
shopping center. Did you find the 2
ampoules I left at the jewelry shop?
I had to get past that....thing firs....
cho.....knif..............."

Silent Hill 2 game concept. Wow, this would be interesting. Imagine Voodoo and me at the beginning of the story, off on a weekend road trip and having a freaky accident, whereby we get separated somehow and end up in that damned titular town. We have to escape, and our only way of contacting each other is our cell phones, which strangely now only keeps the signals local. Strangely enough our phones also begin hissing whenever danger lurks nearby, so we never know when our communication is suddenly interrupted by a nasty 'fight-or-run' situation. In our efforts to rejoin, it's possible for us to leave extra ammunition or supplies for each other at mutually agreed locations anywhere in the town:

Voodoo: "Trep, you there? I'm at the police station, I found a crapload of shotgun ammo."
Trep: "Great. I'm nowhere near there judging from the map. But I found some tools that might be of some use."
Voodoo: "I'll leave some ammo...........Chester Stree..........hind the....blu...."
Trep: "Voodoo!! You're breaking up again! Voodoo? Be careful, you know what that means! Voodoo!!"

We could even write each other notes containing clues and directions on scraps of found paper in case our phones' signals get interrupted. Along the way we each find bits and pieces of story from past souls who may or may not have survived their stay in Silent Hill.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-12-2004, 01:21 PM   #2
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

Trep, the nearest to Hitman Contracts you can have with a co-op mode, I believe, is the new Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow (which I'm itching to try out). But I agree, I truly feel that co-op storyline modes, are the way forward for many games.

I would LOVE to be able to work on a co-operative (or even opposing) internet adventure game. A great setting would be something like Silent Hill, as well. I have so many ideas for puzzles, and a story, but it would be so difficult to pull off.

I truly believe that co-operative adventuring could really be an untapped resource, in regard to giving this genre a good revitalising kick in the backside. More companies need to look into this. How cool would it be to interact with a friend, to solve common problems, or having to work together as a team, to try and get past a particular puzzle.

As far as this thread goes, I can't really think of a direct game, that I want co-operative mode included with it, but I do believe, that it should become standard issue with games released (within reason). I quite liked the co-op in the new Bond: Everything or Nothing game. It wasn't the same as the single player, and it seemed to pose quite a formidable challenge.

Argh, I could really rant on about this!!

Basically, to sum up my argument - MORE CO-OP!!!!!!!!!! It's fun!!!!!!

My (not so well designed) bowling website, complete with pictures from our golden pin victory!

C'MON!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2004, 01:29 PM   #3

Coop in Thief or Hitman would be awesome. Coop is probably my favorite kind of multiplayer.

Coop in an adventure game would be very cool (the multiplayer in Zork:GI doesn't count)

Coop in a game like Jedi Knight would also be cool.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:32 PM   #4
Umbilicus Mundi

Great idea, that Hitman thing. But I don't think it would go with that particular theme. I mean, hitmen usually work alone. But if a similar game was done with an even slightly different theme, it could be wonderful.

edit: I guess you actually meant the concept, not the exact game, but coop.

PS. Pierluigi Collina. If he'd just make the right face expression for once goddammit, he'd look pretty much like 47

Last edited by Erkki; 06-12-2004 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:27 PM   #5
I'm really Cookin'

Morrowind in co-op would have rocked-- if only so that my whole family and I, who all played the game last summer, could have shared loot!
Old 06-12-2004, 07:51 PM   #6
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotray
Trep, the nearest to Hitman Contracts you can have with a co-op mode, I believe, is the new Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow (which I'm itching to try out). But I agree, I truly feel that co-op storyline modes, are the way forward for many games.
Yes, I know. I downloaded the demo and ran around in the dark and explored. Unfortunately when I went online and specked everyone, someone invited me to join them and I chickened out . I knew this is one game where you must develop your skills and wit, otherwise your ass will be 0wn3d all over the place by better players.

Quote:
I would LOVE to be able to work on a co-operative (or even opposing) internet adventure game. A great setting would be something like Silent Hill, as well. I have so many ideas for puzzles, and a story, but it would be so difficult to pull off.
I think that for my idea for a Silent Hill co-op, I could have it so that one player could try to solve one puzzle and if not, she could leave it alone for her partner to come across a bit later. The idea is for the game to try keep the players separated in the large town. Maybe introduce something like several parts of a talisman that, when joined, will create a portal for both players to escape through out of the horror. Each player discovers parts of the talisman and the game is spent trying to find each other while hords of beasties, the thick fog, nasty traps, and devious puzzles try to prevent that.

Quote:
I truly believe that co-operative adventuring could really be an untapped resource, in regard to giving this genre a good revitalising kick in the backside. More companies need to look into this. How cool would it be to interact with a friend, to solve common problems, or having to work together as a team, to try and get past a particular puzzle.
Sadly, whatever promises of a co-op trend there were in the past have only been just that. Even Call of Cthulhu originally was to supposed to have it (as well as deathmatch), but that was squashed.

Quote:
Argh, I could really rant on about this!!
Well, what's stopping you?!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-12-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Minnie
Morrowind in co-op would have rocked-- if only so that my whole family and I, who all played the game last summer, could have shared loot!

was'nt the X-box version capable of co-op

Old 06-13-2004, 04:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
was'nt the X-box version capable of co-op
Nope.

It would have been really fun, though. It wouldn't neccessarily have to be co-op. Just let two or more players into the world, and let them choose whether they wanted to cooperate or compete (or a bit of both).

Implementing this idea would probably have been a nightmare for the developers, though..
Old 06-13-2004, 10:32 AM   #9
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

All the games.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 06-13-2004, 10:48 AM   #10
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I hate co-op games! I never find anybody to play with!
So lonely...
Old 06-13-2004, 10:50 AM   #11
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

I look forward to the mod community creating co-op game mods for Doom 3. (Only the XBox version has 'official' co-op)
Old 06-13-2004, 01:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
All the games.
Even Solitaire?
Old 06-13-2004, 05:20 PM   #13
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
Even Solitaire?
All the games.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright