You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Red Dead Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax
Default Red Dead Revolver

I was walking through my local rental place for a new PS2 game to buy, and lo and behold I found a western game, a genre I find that's completely looked over.

Red Dead Revolver's a game that's probably going to be overlooked, even though it's published by Rockstar. Which is a real shame because RDR is one of the most over-the-top fun and addictive games I've played in a long time. It's not deep, but it's fast paced and just a blast to play.

So if you're a fan of the western genre and were severely disappointed by 'Dead Man's Hand', try out RDR, which is most likely going to be buried under a recent hailstorm of overblown games like 'Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain'.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 06-04-2004, 08:37 PM   #2

Yeah, someone just told me that it's really cool. Maybe better than Outlaws.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:07 AM   #3
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

I dunno if it will be overlooked persay, there's a great deal of promotion behind this game, (at least here in the UK) and if it's by Rockstar (an established company thanks to GTA and Max Payne), then chances are people will be more inclined to pick it up.

But yeah, it looks impressive to me, and as I said, Rockstar have proven time and again, they can generate some awesome titles. Even Manhunt, which was received with lackluster appraisal, I found to be an intriguing game, which featured several cool elements, like stealth, gore and a unique plot to boot.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled on Revolver.

My (not so well designed) bowling website, complete with pictures from our golden pin victory!

C'MON!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2004, 11:03 AM   #4
peb
Colossal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax
Red Dead Revolver's a game that's probably going to be overlooked, even though it's published by Rockstar.
A few weeks ago at Gamespot it was the #1 game on their little chart at the bottom of the page. I don't know what that means, but it was #1! So I don't think it's been overlooked.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:50 PM   #5
Escaped Monkey Island

Has anyone played this? it looks very cool but i wanted to know what someone who has played it thought.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:05 PM   #6
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

There's always gamerankings...

73.9%

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 06-07-2004, 11:10 PM   #7
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotray
I dunno if it will be overlooked persay, there's a great deal of promotion behind this game, (at least here in the UK) and if it's by Rockstar (an established company thanks to GTA and Max Payne), then chances are people will be more inclined to pick it up.

But yeah, it looks impressive to me, and as I said, Rockstar have proven time and again, they can generate some awesome titles. Even Manhunt, which was received with lackluster appraisal, I found to be an intriguing game, which featured several cool elements, like stealth, gore and a unique plot to boot.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled on Revolver.
Well, a game being credited to "Rockstar" doesn't mean it's the GTA people. There are a bunch of separate studios under the Rockstar umbrella all published by Rockstar Games. Red Dead Revolver was developed by Rockstar San Diego, which has nothing to do with Rockstar North in terms of production.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 06-08-2004, 11:35 AM   #8
Escaped Monkey Island

I consider myself a rockstar.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:55 PM   #9
Sierra Fanatic

I've noticed, for some inexpicable reason, that this game is constantly getting mediocre reviews. 6/10, 70%, B-... Well, I rented it first and it IS a very fun game. All the pieces come together to create a very good looking western (I especially liked the graphic filter, which gave the screen a dirty and grity look, like an old western movie). There isn't exactly too much depth to it, at least as far as I played, but its fun and, at points, funny. I recommend renting it first, but it is likely that you'll love it.