You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General First review of Thief:Deadly Shadows

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2004, 12:17 PM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default First review of Thief:Deadly Shadows

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/thief-deadl...html?fromint=1

4 out of 5 stars

Pros
Excellent story, sound and voice-overs,
good level design for linear missions, great lighting effects.

Cons
Awful graphics, NPCs look like wax dummies,
problem with directional sound in third person mode.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

It's GameSpy. I don't put my faith into their reviews anymore...
Old 05-24-2004, 12:36 PM   #3

Umm....maybe it's just me but I like the graphics.

Gamespy sucks
Old 05-24-2004, 12:49 PM   #4
guybrush_guy

i've never been a realy big fan of gamespy. The concept of horrible graphics is just dumb. I'm looking at screan shot right now and there are far from "awful"

Old 05-24-2004, 01:25 PM   #5
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Awful graphics, NPCs look like wax dummies.
I don't know, I wouldn't put this past Thief 3, really. *both* deus ex games have weird-looking NPC's. It doesn't show everywhere, but viewed from a particular angle or something, the Deus Ex 2 NPC's do look like barbie dolls (or indeed, wax dummies). I never noticed this showing up on DX2 screenshots.

But based on the screenshots, I don't think the graphics are awful.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
i've never been a realy big fan of gamespy. The concept of horrible graphics is just dumb. I'm looking at screan shot right now and there are far from "awful"
You can't trust screenshots...
Old 05-24-2004, 01:35 PM   #7
Umbilicus Mundi

I'm just reading the review and here's a quote:

"annoying obstacle course"

Don't they know that obstacle courses are awesome?

Old 05-24-2004, 02:08 PM   #8
merely human

Gamespy and Gamespot have always been graphics sluts, placing a little too much bias on how a game looks. I'm a bit more trusting those sites that don't have much 'tech-lusting', like Gamesfirst and Salon.com (which, sadly, had eliminated their gaming section). Adrenaline Vault has good writing and a more mature perspective, and I'll wait until their review Thief: DS posts.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-24-2004, 02:56 PM   #9
Fum
Indegan Peningald

Trep, I thought you were THE graphics slut? I seem to remember you always creating topics about upcoming shooters in the general gaming forum just so you could post some sweet looking screens.... (You sometimes included a quote from one of the developers touting their new game play gimmick, but we all know you really only cared about the graphics .)

I personally feel graphics are very important, and I think the only reason you are implying otherwise is because you are more of a Warren Specter slut then a graphics slut .

Oh, and the screen shots for Thief III do look pretty bad (as they did for DX:IW), and I can easily understand using the word 'awful' if the game is indeed choppy on a top-of-the-line system. But he still gave the game a 4/5, which I think is pretty good, and considering some of the other faults of the game listed, I wouldn't say the review was very graphics biased at all.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:15 PM   #10
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Gamespy and Gamespot have always been graphics sluts, placing a little too much bias on how a game looks. I'm a bit more trusting those sites that don't have much 'tech-lusting', like Gamesfirst and Salon.com (which, sadly, had eliminated their gaming section). Adrenaline Vault has good writing and a more mature perspective, and I'll wait until their review Thief: DS posts.
That's why I love PC Gamer, which gave a glowing review of Geneforge 2, which has graphics that are absolutely ancient.

And why the hell did Ion Storm use the DX2 Engine when the Splinter Cell engine is so BLINDINGLY PERFECT for the Thief series? (They already owned the DX2 Engine, I know, but stick with me here.)

Last edited by ConcreteRancor; 05-24-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:25 AM   #11
Mostly absent

Overall a good review and I agree about the graphics being bad looking, although I doubt that those screens tell the whole truth. In other words, it could be even worse. Just like the reviewer, I would like more nice detailed artwork and architecture, because at least in the previous Thief games many places has had that pale and Soviet feel to it (anyone who has actually seen an old Soviet building IRL knows what I'm talking about).
Graphics isn't everything though and those lightning effects indeed seem spectacular.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:05 PM   #12
lemonhead11

There's another review at Gamespot

Quote:
Difficulty:Medium
Learning Curve:About 1 hour
Stability:Stable
Version:Retail
GameSpot Score 8.3 great
About Our Rating System
Gameplay - 8
Graphics - 8
Sound - 8
Value - 8
Tilt - 9

Requirements: 256 MB RAM, 4X CD-ROM, 64 MB VRAM, 2.93 GB disk space,

One of the many reasons why 1998 was such a groundbreaking year for gaming is Thief: The Dark Project, a game that helped invent what's now commonly referred to as the stealth action genre. Though two other noteworthy stealth action games were released that same year--Metal Gear Solid and Tenchu: Stealth Assassins--Thief's brand of stealth was the most convincing, and it went on to become the most influential. The original developer of Thief and its similar sequel is unfortunately no longer in business, but Eidos and Ion Storm thankfully snatched up the rights and have finally delivered a new chapter in the series that's suitable for longtime Thief fans and newcomers alike. Like its predecessors, the new Thief: Deadly Shadows features a memorable protagonist, a great setting, and some very interesting missions. It also happens to suffer from a variety of miscellaneous, minor flaws. These are unfortunate, since Thief: Deadly Shadows is great game, for the most part.

Old 05-25-2004, 03:05 PM   #13
lemonhead11

Oh yeah, heres the link http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/thief3/review.html

Old 05-26-2004, 02:29 AM   #14
pain is love

Quote:
Adrenaline Vault has good writing and a more mature perspective, and I'll wait until their review Thief: DS posts.
Yeah man, AVAULT has always been my first choice. It's just that sometimes they are a bit slow. But the reviews are superb! I usually go to www.gamerankings.com, they post a vast of reviews from different sites, so it's kinda the easiest way to see the opinion of gamers community altogether!

For adventures, on the other hand, this site is more than enough for me!

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 05-26-2004, 01:47 PM   #15
The Robot Head of Love

Send a message via ICQ to zarathustrian Send a message via AIM to zarathustrian Send a message via MSN to zarathustrian Send a message via Yahoo to zarathustrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
For adventures, on the other hand, this site is more than enough for me!
Brownnoser.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:58 PM   #16
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
Yeah man, AVAULT has always been my first choice. It's just that sometimes they are a bit slow. But the reviews are superb!
Slow, yes, but I really like the quality of their writing, especially from Bob Mandel, Emil Pagliarulo, and Chris Harding. The editorials are often excellent, addressing issues in the game industry, community, and beyond, and again in a mature manner so that you wouldn't think it was writ by some hack geek living a filthy dorm room. I'd rather wait for quality writing and coverage than half-ass excrement finished two seconds ago and immediately posted .
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-26-2004, 06:22 PM   #17
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
you wouldn't think it was writ by some hack geek living a filthy dorm room. I'd rather wait for quality writing and coverage than half-ass excrement finished two seconds ago and immediately posted
Hey! Hack geeks living in filthy dorm rooms can writ well too!
But you're right --we're not above throwing excrement around from time to time either :eek:
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 05-26-2004, 07:44 PM   #18
merely human

*gasp* Go clean your room!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 01:16 AM   #19
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathustrian
Brownnoser.
hehehe, guess you're a funny guy, ah? Can't man speak the truth here?

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 05-28-2004, 08:14 AM   #20

Well, just played my first mission last night ---- Garrett is back!!!

I don't know what all the fuss is all about with the graphics but they're sure great by me. I suppose you have to play it for yourself to see what I'm saying, but then again, you may not agree with me of course.