You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General The Darkness 2 - Worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #1

Default The Darkness 2 - Worth it?

I've been putting it off for a while now and I'm feeling the urge inside to just go and get it. I loved the first one because it was just original in terms of your standard FPS, and when it was only £5 and turned out to be a good game, I was a happy man. I downloaded the demo and it was... OK, nothing new but the story line was was well put together (and why wouldn't it be? It's Italian mobsters for Christ's sake!)

BUT... With the newly released 'Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City', I'm wondering if I should go with my ol' faithful.

Who should I give my hard earned money to?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
The Quiet One

Neither.

You're best option is to sign up to a rental service like LOVEFiLM or something. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City has received a lot of flack and, apparently, isn't a very good action game. So it may be wise to stay clear of that. Of course, if you do want to buy it, I'd wait until the price lowers. A LOT lol.

As for The Darkness II, in my humble opinion, you should rent it instead. That's what I did and I'm glad. I think it's inferior to the original. The original has a certain charm/uniqueness to it that the sequel lacks. The sequel does play out like a typical corridor shooter. I think it's shorter than the original (it felt like it to me), it's linear, I don't think the story is anywhere near as interesting, the characters are voiced by different actors (so they don't feel the same to me), and I think the graphic noir styled graphics are a mixed bag.

Overall, I thought it was good, but not great. I'd save yourself the £30+.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyShinigami View Post
Neither.

You're best option is to sign up to a rental service like LOVEFiLM or something. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City has received a lot of flack and, apparently, isn't a very good action game. So it may be wise to stay clear of that. Of course, if you do want to buy it, I'd wait until the price lowers. A LOT lol.

As for The Darkness II, in my humble opinion, you should rent it instead. That's what I did and I'm glad. I think it's inferior to the original. The original has a certain charm/uniqueness to it that the sequel lacks. The sequel does play out like a typical corridor shooter. I think it's shorter than the original (it felt like it to me), it's linear, I don't think the story is anywhere near as interesting, the characters are voiced by different actors (so they don't feel the same to me), and I think the graphic noir styled graphics are a mixed bag.

Overall, I thought it was good, but not great. I'd save yourself the £30+.
Thanks for the speedy reply! I was watching gameplay of RE: ORC and it reminded me of 'Splinter Cell: Conviction' and just looked like my kind of game. Do you think the negative reviews are due to the game not resembling the predecessors in the francise?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #4

I'm also kind of interested in Darkness 2. What I hated about the first game was that like half of the game took place in those horribly boring World War I Hell scenes. Does the 2nd one have anything like that? I'd much rather it take place in the real world.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendLongy View Post
Do you think the negative reviews are due to the game not resembling the predecessors in the francise?
No, they seem complain about the AI being dumb, how the game is under-developed, how ideas/designs are poorly executed, and how it's very glitchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneckchen ^.^ View Post
I'm also kind of interested in Darkness 2. What I hated about the first game was that like half of the game took place in those horribly boring World War I Hell scenes. Does the 2nd one have anything like that? I'd much rather it take place in the real world.
Apart from one part - reaching the guy on the cross, which always frustrated me - I didn't mind the Hell parts. In the second one, instead of those, when Jackie dies at certain points in the story, he's taken to a sort of limbo where he's a metal patient in a hospital. I didn't think much to those sections, but your mileage may vary.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #6

Well, I got Resident Evil because the negative reviews I read were due to the game not being survival horror but an action shooter. I love action shooters, I love zombies, I love shooting Zombies so my review of Resident Evil is to come soon. Me and a mate bought this game because it looks like the fun is in coop so my review will be based on that.