You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Games of the Year 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
Schättenjager

Default Games of the Year 2011

Here's my list 10 best games of 2011,

1.ACB
2.Witcher2
3.Batman AC
4.La Noire
5.Nba2k12
6.Trine2
7.Skyrim
8.BOUT
9.Limbo
10.Portal2
Old 12-14-2011, 01:09 AM   #2

1. Assassins Creed Revelation
2. LA Noire
3. Skyrim
4. Portal 2
5. Deus Ex Human Revolution
6. Uncharted 3
7. Gears 3
8. Rage
9. Bastion
10. Jurassic Park

Worthy mention: Back to the Future

Come to think of it, this year was a helluva year wasn't it? So many BIG name and amazing AAA titles!

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
Schättenjager

Did you forgot the Batman AC or really think worse than Jurassic Park ?
Old 12-14-2011, 02:31 AM   #4

Haven't played it yet since renting it isn't an option for me. Otherwise, it'd be under ACR if the reviews are right. Surprised ACR isn't in ACB's place since ACB came out last year.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #5
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Haven't played it yet since renting it isn't an option for me. Otherwise, it'd be under ACR if the reviews are right. Surprised ACR isn't in ACB's place since ACB came out last year.
ACB relased at march for pc,gameplaywise i couldnt find anything better
in ACR feels like an expansion for packing up the story.
I'll finish one day for story's sake no doubt.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:38 AM   #6
Filmfreak

Some of these were probably released in 2010, but meh...
And a lot of these are ties (since they're often hard to compare)...

1. 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

2. Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
-. Tennis Elbow 2011
-. FIFA 12

5. Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call (*)
-. Dragon Age II
-. Gemini Rue
-. L.A. Noire (*)
-. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

10. Gray Matter

(*) Haven't finished it yet, so it will need re-evaluation afterwards.

Only the second time ever that BioWare released a game and didn't make top spot (or even make the top-3)...
(the other one was Jade Empire)

And yes, I know The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim isn't on here. It'll probably be on my 2012 list...

Last edited by TimovieMan; 12-14-2011 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Forgot about Ghost Trick
Old 12-14-2011, 04:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
ACB relased at march for pc,gameplaywise i couldnt find anything better
in ACR feels like an expansion for packing up the story.
I'll finish one day for story's sake no doubt.
To think someone would consider ACR a game that feels like an expansion to be nonsense. The moment you first start the game, it immediately feels and looks like an actual sequel to AC2. Especially since ACB looked, played, and overall felt like a simple expansion/dlc to AC2. ACR boasting an impressive new update to the graphical engine, not to mention polished gameplay that doesn't overwhelm the player with new features. ACR is a game that brings answers, new features, and everything that would make it a game that successfully continues the story, especially something that finally tells Desmond's story.

Gameplay wise, it definitely is better. The brotherhood system is greatly improved especially with the addition to dens and an interesting take on the 'tower defense' gameplay. Also the game offers more unique environments and creates a flow that doesn't seem repetitive at all, which surprisingly ACB felt. Not to mention action sequences that break up the gameplay work VERY well.

ACR feels like a breath of fresh air, despite people's complaints that they are drawing EZIO out to long....which is BS.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
The brotherhood system is greatly improved especially with the addition to dens and an interesting take on the 'tower defense' gameplay. Also the game offers more unique environments and creates a flow that doesn't seem repetitive at all, which surprisingly ACB felt. Not to mention action sequences that break up the gameplay work VERY well.
Tower defense,zipline,bomb making cabinets at every corner etc. additions giving gameplay more arcade feeling for me and no fun.

While you mention "ACR boasting an impressive new update to the graphical engine" overlooking the limitations of it like no sea traffic,horses etc.anymore.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:18 AM   #9

Here you go;

10. Mortal Kombat
9. Super Mario 3D Land
8. Alice: Madness Returns
7. Catherine
6. L.A. Noire
5. Atelier Totori: Alchemist of Arland 2
4. Batman: Arkham City
3. Sonic Generations
2. Portal 2
1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Amongst the adventure games this year I enjoyed L.A. Noire, Gray Matter and especially Back to the Future. I'm yet to play Skyrim and I don't think I ever will because of the PS3 game killing glitch. I haven't played Dark Souls yet either.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
Senior Automaton

I don't think I can come up with a list of 10 but I'll give it a go.

1. Last Half of Darkness: Society of the Serpent Moon
2. Baron Wittard: Nemesis of Ragnarok
3. Portal 2
4. Blue Madonna (Carol Reed)
5. Limbo
6. Alice: Madness Returns
7. Conspiracies 2
8: Drawn: Trail of Shadows
9. Trine 2 (which I haven't finished yet, but so far it's really great)
10. Black Mirror 3

You can tell it's a slow year when Black Mirror makes the list But I thought the top 5 were really fantastic.

Unfortunately I didn't find Alpha Polaris, BOUT or Deus Ex particularly memorable, but they were all okay. Skyrim didn't seem very compelling but I only played for a few hours on a friend's PC. There are so many more I need to play: LA Noire, Witcher 2, Gemini Rue, Stacking. I haven't played Arkham City but if it's anywhere near as fun as Asylum, it will be great.

Was Gray Matter really 2011? It seems older.

Last edited by Oscar; 12-14-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:32 AM   #11
The Quiet One

Just games? Aww. I liked my idea from last year which covered, not just games, but movies, music, TV shows, and books etc.; including best AND worst nominations.

I highly doubt I can list 10...

1. Batman: Arkham City *****
2. Gears of War 3 ****
3. L.A. Noire ****
4. Dead Space 2 (was a bit harsh with my rating in my mini review) ****
5. Rage ***
6. Alice: Madness Returns ***
7. F.E.A.R. 3 ***

Worst Game(s):

1. Duke Nukem Forever (was a bit generous with my rating in my mini review ) *

And I've still yet to play:

Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Portal 2
Gray Matter
Jurassic Park - The Game
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode 1
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X HD
The Book of Unwritten Tales
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
Psychonaut

1. Skyrim - No game I have played this year has this breadth and scope. SO even though I'm not done with the game it is easily my favourite game of the year.

2. Batman Arkham City - May have lost the direction and tightness of the first game, but it still kicks ass.

3. Portal 2 - Funniest game of the year.

4. LA Noire - Weak ending, but playing it as an adventure and not an open world game made this a fantastic experience.

5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Big improvement on Invisible War. Fun game.

6. Uncharted 3 - Still technically fantastic, has some of the best characters and animation in video games. Let down by a couple of pointless missions and being compared to No 2.

7. Infamous 2 - Just a hell of a lot of fun.

8. Dead Space 2 - Creepy as f**k.

9. Gears of War 3 - Decent end to the series.

10. Dead Island - Not brilliant, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

There are a few games that I have on my pile of shame that I haven't played enough to make a GOTY judgement on.

Zelda: Skyward Sword - Not played yet (hoping to get for xmas), but given my past history and the reviews I think this will probably be top 3 material.

Dark Souls - Twisted game that I haven't managed to spend enough time with.

The last two Assassins Creed games. Not even played Brotherhood never mind Revelations.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
handsome

From this year I've only played Skyrim so that's my game of the year, even though I think it has a recycled medieval-fantasy lore (like almost every mmorpg ever) and clumsy combat -- I'm definitely a Fallout guy.

EDIT: No wait I've played Deus Ex: HR too! Buuut listening to Jensen's raspy-Bale voice wasn't that great either so... man, dunno which one "wins". Maybe Skyrim cause shooting some arrows in my housecarl-Lydia's face, seeing flying mamoths and watching my stolen horse fight a sabertooth is really something.

Last edited by TiAgUh; 12-14-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
Schattenjäger

i havnt played some of the bigger titles of the year, but presently my list would go somthing like:
1. ghost trick
2. edna and harvey the breakout
3. l.a. noire
4. witcher 2
5. radiant historia
6. deus ex HR
7. Back to the future

EDIT: forgot that edna and harv english release was in 2011... i suspect i will remember more titles to add.

Last edited by zane; 12-14-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #15

My favorites of 2011 are:

1. Mass Effect 2 (I'm cheating a little bit, but it was released in January for PS3 and I played it this year)
2. Batman: Arkham City
3. Portal 2
4. L.A. Noire
5. Jetpack Joyride
6. Back to the Future
7. Ghost Trick

Only 7 because most of the other games I played this year weren't released in 2011.

I'm still looking forward to playing Uncharted 3, Catherine, and Jurassic Park, and I would be surprised if I didn't really like them.

Regarding Assassin's Creed Revelations: the AC series is my favorite modern franchise. I have loved all the Ezio games. Just this week I started playing ACR. I hate to say I am having a really hard time getting into it. Strangely enough, I think all the AC games start slowly so I am hopeful that I will come around and this game will end up being great. (I've kind of put it on hold to replay Fahrenheit). Maybe I just need to embrace the bomb mechanic which I have yet to use. No city will match the Florence of AC2, though, imho.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interplay View Post
Regarding Assassin's Creed Revelations: the AC series is my favorite modern franchise. I have loved all the Ezio games. Just this week I started playing ACR. I hate to say I am having a really hard time getting into it. Strangely enough, I think all the AC games start slowly so I am hopeful that I will come around and this game will end up being great. (I've kind of put it on hold to replay Fahrenheit). Maybe I just need to embrace the bomb mechanic which I have yet to use. No city will match the Florence of AC2, though, imho.
I rarely use bombs, but if I did, it'd make things a lot easier tactics wise.

I think your problem with ACR is the intro cinematic. It through you into the action without you taking in what happened over the years. Like previous games, you usually started outside the animus or with a connection with your friends, this one, it's meant to make you feel like you are broken but must push forward to fix yourself and to find answers.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #17
Life and times of...

Haven't played many games this year, and I might've forgotten some, but those that come to mind:
Gray Matter
Portal 2
Skyrim

To be honest, I don't even remember playing anything else... No wait, there was Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse, but I guess it's a bit of a stretch to count it in the 2011 list (even though I only found it in retail this year). The three other newish games that I remember playing (there were also the Broken Sword remakes) would all go to the list regardless. I tend to focus only on the best every year Of course, sometimes I actually get to play them much later than they actually appear...

Not that many interesting games this year though that I haven't played.

Last edited by UPtimist; 12-15-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #18

I'm surprised no one listed Blackwell Deception yet.
I played a lot of older games this year because I usually wait for the games to go on sale before playing them, but of the games released this year that I played I would pick
1. Gemini Rue
2. Blackwell Deception
3. Portal 2
4. Back to the Future

Games that I know will make the list once I play them based on playing the demos / I love the gameplay mechanics already

5. A New Beginning
6. Pokemon Black
7. To the Moon

and the final three should be among the following:
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Radiant Historia
Gray Matter
Bastion
Batman: Arkham city
L.A. Noire

Alas, since I don't have a PS3, XBox 360, Wii, 3DS or iPad/iPhone I can't play the following games, but they all look really good and I'm hoping to get some of those consoles in the future.

Uncharted 3
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection
Catherine
Stacking
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Cave Story 3D
Super Mario 3D Land
Pushmo
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Old 12-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
Adventure Game Researcher

Skyrim
Deus Ex 3
Mass Effect 2
La Noire
Batman: Arkham City

sure are a lot of dark games, even Skyrim is gloomy and morbid...and overly combat oriented. I hope for some sunny and happy games in 2012.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 12-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #20

1. Batman: Arkham City (still playing) / L.A. Noire / Portal 2
2. A New Beginning

Adventurewise, this year wasn't very rich, at least not for me. But the first three games I've mentioned will definitely justify a long period of dry season.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III