You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Games of the Year 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #21
M-E

It seems like nobody has a Wii here?

1. The Legend Of Zelda - Skyward Sword (by far)
2. Assassins Creed Revelations
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
4. LA Noire
5. Portal 2

Haven't played Batman: Arkham City yet, but judging by AA, which I actually just started recently this should be in my top 5 as well.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #22

Kind of hard to put a Wii game up there if you sold your wii a while ago because so many of the games were just BS.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 12-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #23
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-e View Post
it seems like nobody has a wii here?

1. The legend of zelda - skyward sword (by far)
Name:  Well-excuse-me-Princess-Well-excuse-me-Princess.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  57.6 KB
Old 12-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #24

1. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
2. Batman: Arkham City
3. Assassins Creed: Revelations
4. L.A. Noire
5. Portal 2
6. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
7. Child of Eden
8. Catherine
9. Fight Night Champion
10. El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron

It was a great year for gaming. There are a bunch of titles I feel should be in the top 10, but there's room for only 10 . I actually didn't have time to play much adventure games this year and looking ahead, next year might be even better for my tastes. I will make room for couple of adventures, but not as much as previous years.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Kind of hard to put a Wii game up there if you sold your wii a while ago because so many of the games were just BS.
Well, this year we got Zelda SW and Xenoblade... Plus Rayman Origins, but I think this runs on other consoles.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiil View Post
5. Portal 2
BTW, for those of you who have not enjoyed this game (e.g. myself), there's this offer on steam for just today.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periglo View Post
Well, this year we got Zelda SW and Xenoblade... Plus Rayman Origins, but I think this runs on other consoles.
Two great games for the Wii. Rayman def is better especially since it looks amazing in HD resolutions.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #28
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

1. Skyrim
2. Portal 2
3. L.A. Noire
4. Dark Souls
5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
6. Rayman Origins
7. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
8. Crysis 2
9. Mortal Kombat
10. Batman: Arkham City

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 12-21-2011, 06:21 AM   #29
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Just games? Aww. I liked my idea from last year which covered, not just games, but movies, music, TV shows, and books etc.; including best AND worst nominations.

I highly doubt I can list 10...

1. Batman: Arkham City *****
2. Gears of War 3 ****
3. L.A. Noire ****
4. Dead Space 2 **** (was a bit harsh with my rating in my mini review)
5. Rage ***

Worst Game(s):

1. Duke Nukem Forever * (was a bit generous with my rating in my mini review )

And I've still yet to play:

Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Dark Souls
Catherine
Portal 2
Dead Island
Gray Matter
Jurassic Park - The Game
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode 1
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X HD
The Book of Unwritten Tales
Meh. Scratch #6 and #7... I'm considering playing Dark Souls at some point, so that will most likely make its way onto that list once I've finished it
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #30

BTW, Duke Nukem Forever with the new DLC should make people rethink where DNF is going.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #31
Filmfreak

To the Moon happened, and no longer being able to edit my previous post, I'll just put my new and reworked top-10 here:

1. To the Moon
-. 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

3. Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
-. Tennis Elbow 2011
-. FIFA 12

6. Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call (*)
-. Dragon Age II
-. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
-. Gemini Rue
-. L.A. Noire (*)

(*) Haven't finished them yet.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #32
Life and times of...

Was Stacking released this year? I just saw it on this list of game developers' top 3 games, and only now remembered it, but it sure goes right there on the list!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #33
The Quiet One

Oops. I forgot to add Stacking to my list too.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #34
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Was Stacking released this year? I just saw it on this list of game developers' top 3 games, and only now remembered it, but it sure goes right there on the list!
How come dudes (like Molyneux (DK and Populous:TB ftw!)) keep raving about Zelda games and giving them bloated scores despite knowing how "old and formulaic" they are - has he himself said -, always ending with the nostalgia-filled remark "but overral an enganging experience"?
Luckily, sites like Gamespot and weirdos like ZP's Yahtzee are not that blind for what was once a creative ip.

And mr. Yoshinoro Ono: if you had a ice-dragon following you everywhere and thus not letting you fast-travel, and pretty much being a pain in the ass to beat cause he's just way too cool to land, you wouldn't call them 'nitpicks that just need some work' my overly-happy Onimusha2 producer . At least the upside down fox made me laugh before I gave up.

Thanks for giving me the chance to speak with the creators Uptimist, I sure do hope they anwser me. And yes, it's from this year.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #35

OK, well, I just finished playing Gemini Rue, so please allow me to most definitely add it to my top 10. Great!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
How come dudes (like Molyneux (DK and Populous:TB ftw!)) keep raving about Zelda games and giving them bloated scores despite knowing how "old and formulaic" they are...
You know, that's a very valid point. Unfortunately, we don't have many really original games this year, it seems. You proposed Skyrim yourself, while acknowledging it being derivative.

Let's see, there's Stacking, Bastion I guess ... any more titles of games that are truly original?
Old 12-30-2011, 12:23 AM   #37
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periglo View Post
You know, that's a very valid point. Unfortunately, we don't have many really original games this year, it seems. You proposed Skyrim yourself, while acknowledging it being derivative.

Let's see, there's Stacking, Bastion I guess ... any more titles of games that are truly original?
How is Bastion original?

I think I would call Limbo original, and I would call From Dust reasonably original, even though it follows on to some degree from what Populous started two decades ago. There's also Portal 2 even though it's a sequel, it added enough innovations to keep it fresh.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
How is Bastion original?
Well, the narrator voice obviously.

Quote:
There's also Portal 2 even though it's a sequel, it added enough innovations to keep it fresh.
I wasn't sure about this one, since as you say, it's a sequel, and I've only played about 5 min. Lots of sequels this year.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #39

Quote:
How is Bastion original?

I think I would call Limbo original, and I would call From Dust reasonably original, even though it follows on to some degree from what Populous started two decades ago. There's also Portal 2 even though it's a sequel, it added enough innovations to keep it fresh.
Really? Gameplay mechanics, Environments, Non-Linear Adaptive Narrator, Interesting Story, etc.

From Dust is nothing like Populous. What you meant was Black & White minus the animals.

Limbo wasn't original since we already have a billion artsy games like it, just minus the great engine of Unreal.

Saying how Bastion isn't original is just as bad as calling your listed games as original. Seriously, a low blow for a brilliant game.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #40
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Really? Gameplay mechanics, Environments, Non-Linear Adaptive Narrator, Interesting Story, etc.

From Dust is nothing like Populous. What you meant was Black & White minus the animals.
Not at all. Raising/lowering the terrain to make it safe for your inhabitants to establish villages is basically the essence of both games, with added god-like powers. I haven't played much of Black & White and can't really remember it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar too.

I can't think of any other RTS based around manipulating the terrain and calling in supernatural powers in the way that From Dust and Populous do.

Quote:
Limbo wasn't original since we already have a billion artsy games like it, just minus the great engine of Unreal.
What do you mean by "artsy"? I'm not sure that precludes a game from being original. It wasn't a game totally based around style, if that's what you're suggesting. Although I would say that style is the main thing that separates it from games like Another World, which is very similar in terms of gameplay.

Quote:
Saying how Bastion isn't original is just as bad as calling your listed games as original. Seriously, a low blow for a brilliant game.
What originality Bastion had came from combining genres that hadn't been combined very often. To me it was just an amalgamation of RPG like Diablo and isometric action taken from some of the old SNES/Genesis games like Landstalker. With an extremely annoying narration over the top - and if that was the main thing that was original I can safely say "no thanks" to it being in future games.