You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Beyond Good And Evil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2004, 04:45 PM   #21
TM3

Get it, get it, and get it! I have the PS2 version of the game. It totally blew me away! I hope they make a sequel to it. The game was short, but so epic and vast which is unbelievable. The characters...don't get me started, perfection! Very likable and unquie.
I just want you to know who I am..."
"IRIS"-GOO GOO DOLLS
Old 04-14-2004, 06:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Did you notice they changed her outfit and design a bit and people didn't seem to notice? Sort of like Nico in BS3.
People noticed all right. When the official forums first opened pretty much the only thing that was going on in them was people complaining about it. We all even sent it letters to try to get them to change it back. I must say that it all did work out in the end though.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:48 PM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Nighthawk Send a message via MSN to Lord Nighthawk

When I rented it awhile back I managed to complete quite a bit of the game, but I have yet to finish the game.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:50 AM   #24
pain is love

BUMP

This game is something else, I haven't enjoyed a game like that for a long time! If you haven't played it: HURRY UP AND BUY! Awesome (that game is the reason I haven't been here in two days)!

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 05-13-2005, 01:55 AM   #25
Gaming Art Historian

I just picked up a copy a few weeks ago for $10 USD, best 10 bucks I've ever spent
Old 05-13-2005, 02:07 AM   #26

Yep, I tried BGE based on what I've read about it on this forum, and it's everything I've heard about it; beautiful, fun, rewarding, you name it.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:08 AM   #27
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishale
I just picked up a copy a few weeks ago for $10 USD, best 10 bucks I've ever spent
Damn, I've payed it twice as much. But it's still worth much, much more.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 05-13-2005, 02:16 AM   #28
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Yep, I tried BGE based on what I've read about it on this forum, and it's everything I've heard about it; beautiful, fun, rewarding, you name it.
So Ninth, I'm curious. Now that you've played it, how do you position its qualities and attributes within the scope of what we've been talking about in terms of adventure games?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-13-2005, 02:31 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
So Ninth, I'm curious. Now that you've played it, how do you position its qualities and attributes within the scope of what we've been talking about in terms of adventure games?
Things that BGE does better than AGs : character design, clever pseudo-linearity (you have to do things in a given order, but you still can explore the world any time you want), cinematic feeling (although Still Life is great in this aspect), and 3D graphics that don't suck.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:12 AM   #30
merely human

And art direction.

As far as 'pseudo-linearity' you'll find that total non-linearity is impossible in heavily story driven games no matter what genre.

Also, remember Steve's idea of 'interaction density'? What do you think of BG&E in that scope compared to your typical adventure game today?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-13-2005, 03:30 AM   #31
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
BUMP

This game is something else, I haven't enjoyed a game like that for a long time! If you haven't played it: HURRY UP AND BUY! Awesome (that game is the reason I haven't been here in two days)!
Yeah, I also finished it a week ago, a gorgeous game. Now I'm at the end of Sands of Time, it's just as good.

Btw, did anyone notice the similarities with Little Big Adventure 2? Not just in some characters and general art design (BG&E looks way better, of course, LBA2 was made in 1997), but also in the basic premise ("friendly" alien occupants of a gorgeous fantasy world where different cartoony species live in a peaceful coexistence turn out to be not so friendly after all). I'm not saying that BG&E is a ripoff, far form it, but it's an interesting coincidence nevertheless.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:33 AM   #32
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Yeah, I also finished it a week ago, a gorgeous game. Now I'm at the end of Sands of Time, it's just as good.
I finished that one last week. Bittersweet ending, but also intriguing. The art direction and level design were SUPERB!
Old 05-13-2005, 03:35 AM   #33
merely human

Oh, and you might want to pick up Jedi Knight II. Good stuff.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:11 AM   #34

Quote:
And art direction.

As far as 'pseudo-linearity' you'll find that total non-linearity is impossible in heavily story driven games no matter what genre.

Also, remember Steve's idea of 'interaction density'? What do you think of BG&E in that scope compared to your typical adventure game today?
Yes, art direction too, but that's something that's quite well done if a few AGs, like (again) Still Life, or The Black Mirror, or Myst 4.

It's true that BGE has some neat interaction density.
Simple equation : interaction density = fun.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:12 AM   #35

Quote:
I love Jedi Knight 1, but I played it with a friend. I don't like playing FPS on my own, they wear me out. Too stressful.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:38 AM   #36
gin soaked boy

Quote:
I'd like to one day, but I've still yet to finish Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy and there's a huuuge stack of unplayed games on my shelf, not to mention all that next-gen stuff just around the corner. So as I said, one day
Old 05-13-2005, 09:06 AM   #37
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra

Btw, did anyone notice the similarities with Little Big Adventure 2? Not just in some characters and general art design (BG&E looks way better, of course, LBA2 was made in 1997), but also in the basic premise ("friendly" alien occupants of a gorgeous fantasy world where different cartoony species live in a peaceful coexistence turn out to be not so friendly after all). I'm not saying that BG&E is a ripoff, far form it, but it's an interesting coincidence nevertheless.
Little Big Adventure 2 is a truly wonderful game. Trepsie, I think you will fall in love with it. It's true that its graphics are subpar for today's standards, but for its time it was amazing. Man these frenchies make the whackiest most innovative and fun games out there

Firefox rules
Old 05-13-2005, 09:36 AM   #38
gin soaked boy

I don't know why, but I thought Trepsie already played it! Then by all means, you MUST get yourself a copy.

There's a lot of interesting things happening in LBA community at the moment. All this talk about LBA3 and Trium Planeta... I try not to get too worked up on it, but it's hard to resist. Maybe we're in for another surprise comeback in the next few months
Old 05-13-2005, 11:45 AM   #39
merely human

Quote:
I love Jedi Knight 1, but I played it with a friend. I don't like playing FPS on my own, they wear me out. Too stressful.
It's in first person only during the first third of the whole game. Once you acquire your light saber it's all third person from there.

Quote:
It's true that BGE has some neat interaction density.
Simple equation : interaction density = fun.
Did you win the pearl playing the air hockey game against the shark? Did you find the code to the locker on the second floor of Akuda Bar? Did you find ALL the pearls? Did you find the DomZ stash somewhere in the city? Did you talk to everyone? Did you get rid of all the looters in the caves? Did you win all three hovercraft races? Did you explore the top of the volcano?

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 05-13-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:36 PM   #40
I needed a dare

I just got this game from Gamefly and it's been unbelievable.. a question

Spoiler:
I just got into the slaughterhouse, how much further do i have to go?