You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Beyond Good And Evil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
Headbanger

Default Beyond Good And Evil

I'm sure this game have been discussed before but I didn't found a thread about it on the first pages (and I'm to lazy to look any further ).

I've just tested the demo and this game was nothing like I thougt it would be. I though it would be a standard platform game. But it seemed to have a really great story and many different arcade sequences. The style of the graphics together with what seemed like a rather deep story reminded me very much of an adventure game.

Have anyone played this game. Is it worth buying?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:57 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

i've played through the entire game on xbox......its definitely worth the price (i got it for 20 bucks).........the characters, story, and gameplay are amazing, though i think the xbox graphics could have been a little better....still a great game......definitely recommended!......note: this game has a lot of action elements to it, it is not a pure adventure game (though this is not a bad thing)
Old 04-12-2004, 04:53 PM   #3
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

BG&E is awesome. I am usually not a fan of "platformers" (although it's not entirely a platformer), but I really, really loved this game. I would recommend it (and often do, check these forums ) to anyone.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Do a search and you'll find a dozen threads about the game - a lot of people love it, including me.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:33 PM   #5

Because this is such a great game it's worth mentioning the PC version is really great! (I played both xbox and pc version and I liked the pc version better, especially control-wise) The graphics really do the game's story and gameplay justice.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:06 PM   #6
Babbling as Usual

I loved it. As long as you don't mind a bit o' combat and character-building, the game is fantastic. The soundtrack is my favorite part It's a pity I haven't been able to figure out how to figure out which parts of my CD-extraction chunks are actually the complete songs. Did anyone ever come up with a decent way to figure that out?
Old 04-12-2004, 11:28 PM   #7
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I played through BG+E with a friend on Xbox and I have to say it's one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time. This game felt like it actually had inspiration behind it. The characters actually had character, and the whole game felt very complete. Definitely worth picking up.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 04-13-2004, 12:30 AM   #8
Least used avatar ever

Definitely worth buying, especially at its current price point. It's amazing how many gameplay styles they were able to fit in the game while also doing them well. For instance, there's a few stealth parts in the game, and they all feel quite natural and well executed (much better than in Zelda: Wind Waker, for example). The photography is also great.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:57 AM   #9
Babbling as Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moron Lite
Definitely worth buying, especially at its current price point. It's amazing how many gameplay styles they were able to fit in the game while also doing them well. For instance, there's a few stealth parts in the game, and they all feel quite natural and well executed (much better than in Zelda: Wind Waker, for example). The photography is also great.
I've played through about 95% of Wink Waker (except, ironically, the ending area) and I think BG&E is a very comparable experience. Wind Waker has a better combat and movement engine, but it often fell prey to the "let's put this and this in as filler." A lot of the side-quests and treasure searches feel out of place and a little distracting from the primary intent of the game. With BG&E, the combat system is a little less streamlined, but it succeeds much better in character and story. The sidequests and extra activities are much more plot-oriented than the ones in Wind Waker. Examples below (not spoilerish in terms of plot, just in puzzle design):

Spoiler:
I thought the game had EXCELLENT puzzle design. I rarely remember the puzzles from non-adventure games I have played, but here are a few I remember from BG&E:

-The end of one of the sidequests where the camera flips around and you have to run away from the alien army.
-The elevator that moved up with guards at different angles, and you had to hide behind the boxes
-The stealth mission where you sneak into the compound (Sure it was trial and error, but what a fantastic example of it!)

Just my thoughts. Both are great titles, but I hadn't expected to find such a superb adventure-platforming experience in BG&E. I'm excited for the sequel.

Last edited by Bard09; 04-13-2004 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:56 AM   #10
Puts the 'e' in Mark

At the risk of sounding like a parrot: yes, this game is definitely worth buying. BG&E is what you'd call an "action game lite". It's a platformer, but it doesn't really focus on frantic combat sequences and repetition. What I found most refreshing about BG&E is the diversity of the gameplay and how it all mixes together perfectly. There's also a couple of action-based puzzles that are so unique and interesting that I have no idea how they'd be described in a design document.

For those who have played the game:
Spoiler:
I'm mainly referring to the sequence where Pey'j has to jump and the blob comes up and you have to launch it in a certain direction. The Ubi Soft team must have created prototypes in advance just to see how that would work.

The whole game is oozing with greatness, except for its title, which is idiotic beyond belief. Which reminds me, I really need to get back to this game and finish it.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard09
I loved it. As long as you don't mind a bit o' combat and character-building, the game is fantastic. The soundtrack is my favorite part It's a pity I haven't been able to figure out how to figure out which parts of my CD-extraction chunks are actually the complete songs. Did anyone ever come up with a decent way to figure that out?
There's a game audio extraction tool called GAP, it support tons of games. Although BG&E is not in their list I'm almost sure you can extract it with this program.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:49 AM   #12

There was a thread about extracting the music in the official BG&E forum sometime ago. They must have changed stuff around because the old link that I had for it no longer works. You can search around for it if you like. I did copy some of it into an old thread here. You can read what I copied here I don't know if it will be any help to you though. Actually, I just clicked the link to the extractor program, and the page no longer loads. Sorry.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:28 PM   #13
Kiss My Face

Send a message via MSN to scabb

BG&E is an excellent game, Bard09's description wins. Does anyone know if there's anywhere you can purchase/download the soundtrack?

Spoiler:
The ending was a little strange, though - what exactly is Jade? Did she make the little silver Domz thing appear on Pey'js hand when she "revived" him? There better be a sequel.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabb
BG&E is an excellent game, Bard09's description wins. Does anyone know if there's anywhere you can purchase/download the soundtrack?
You can't. You have to rip it.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:32 PM   #15

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabb

Spoiler:
The ending was a little strange, though - what exactly is Jade? Did she make the little silver Domz thing appear on Pey'js hand when she "revived" him? There better be a sequel.
Spoiler:
It's been a while since I finished the game, but I believe the thing on Pey'j's hand was planted there when he was under control of the Domz. Assumedly, that would be part of the opening premise in a sequel. And last I heard, there was a sequel in production, which is GREAT news. I can't wait to see what Ubi does with it.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 04-13-2004, 12:43 PM   #16
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
And last I heard, there was a sequel in production, which is GREAT news. I can't wait to see what Ubi does with it.
Whoa. Where did you hear that? I've heard nothing but bad news about its sales figures.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Whoa. Where did you hear that? I've heard nothing but bad news about its sales figures.
I remember reading it on some gaming site in January. It's possible that it could have been scrapped if the game didn't sell well enough though.

Old 04-13-2004, 01:01 PM   #18
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Theres a 2 CD-length soundtrack floating around Usenet at the moment. A friend of mine grabbed it and I'm trying to get it from him. Drop me a PM if you're interested in hearing if/when I get ahold of it.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 04-13-2004, 01:06 PM   #19

Usenet? Geez, talk about brilliant ways to circulate a full-length soundtrack...

Old 04-13-2004, 01:20 PM   #20
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Usenet is majorly misunderstood at this point, probably due to the fact that most ISPs have really shitty Usenet support - no binary groups, bad (or no) spam filters etc. Its in fact a great place to get everything If you're on a Mac I highly recommend Unison as well as their Unison access plan. It rules. If only I had more than a modem at home...

Anyway to keep this thread on topic...

Did you notice they changed her outfit and design a bit and people didn't seem to notice? Sort of like Nico in BS3.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens