You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General recommend a PS3 shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
fov
Rattenmonster

Default recommend a PS3 shooter

I am finally taking the plunge to buy a PS3 (Heavy Rain will be my first purchase!) and my partner, who is not a gamer, has requested a first-person shooter. I think the last game he played was Castle Wolfenstein in the 80s.

A few I'm considering are Mass Effect 2, Killzone, and God of War (mainly because they're titles I recognize... this is not my genre!) But I think he would like a more realistic scenario as opposed to sci-fi or fantasy, so I'm wondering what else I should look at. Multi-player is not required but might be fun, if only so he can kick my ass and realize video games are still fun in the new millennium.

Also the game doesn't have to be the latest and greatest. I don't even know if he's going to get into it so I'd rather buy something that's a few years old and cheaper than something brand new and more expensive.

Suggestions?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
In an evening of July...

I've absolutely no experience with shooters on the PS3, but since the majority of titles is cross-plattform, I can recommend Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. It's looked upon by many for its multiplayer part which is populated by kids mostly, but the single player is an intense and packed experience. It's set in the very near future, too, so it's not sci-fi at all, and it's a few years old already.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
I am finally taking the plunge to buy a PS3 (Heavy Rain will be my first purchase!) and my partner, who is not a gamer, has requested a first-person shooter. I think the last game he played was Castle Wolfenstein in the 80s.

A few I'm considering are Mass Effect 2, Killzone, and God of War (mainly because they're titles I recognize... this is not my genre!) But I think he would like a more realistic scenario as opposed to sci-fi or fantasy, so I'm wondering what else I should look at. Multi-player is not required but might be fun, if only so he can kick my ass.

Also the game doesn't have to be the latest and greatest. I don't even know if he's going to get into it so I'd rather buy something that's a few years old and cheaper than something brand new and more expensive.

Suggestions?
Well ME2 is a 3rd person shooter, GOW is also a 3rd person game. Killzone is a 1st person shooter but a sci-fi one! so here are some of my suggestions:

3rd person shooters:

Red Dead Redemption (it's not a game it is A JEWEL)
Dead Space 1-2
Uncharted 1-2 ( Another Jewel)

1st person shooters
Call of Duty: Black Ops (this is the only one not a sci-fi game from my 1st person suggestions)
KillZone 3
Resistance 2
Bioshock

some links
Red Dead Redemption
uncharted

Last edited by Geothing; 04-03-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Thanks! I'll check these out. I've heard of all of these, of course, but never really paid attention to any of them thinking I'd have no reason to ever play them.

Quote:
Well ME2 is a 3rd person shooter, GOW is also a 3rd person game.
Haha, funny you should point that out... he did ask for an FPS but I'm not sure the perspective matters to him that much. On the other hand, I prefer third person games so that might have been my bias sneaking in.

Oh, this might be a dumb question... but in general, do these games allow two people to play together on the same console? Or is multiplayer mainly online?
Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Stalker of Britain

Well, I can't speak of all of them, but I know Halo allows you to play multiplayer against the computer offline. (But Halo is more fantasy, I was just giving an example I knew).
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #6

I agree with Geothing, Uncharted and Red Dead Redemption for sure. They're third person, but probably more accessible to someone who's not a hardcore gamer than the average FPS on a PS3 controller. Besides, as an adventure game fan there's a very strong chance you'll fall in love with these games as well.

Same goes for Mass Effect 2 and inFamous.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Well, I can't speak of all of them, but I know Halo allows you to play multiplayer against the computer offline. (But Halo is more fantasy, I was just giving an example I knew).
Halo is an Xbox360 title!

@fov Well you could play call of duty in split screen mode but it's not the best thing and i wouldn't suggest it

I think you should go for RDR and Uncharted you will be mesmerized. Unfortunately their multiplayer is mainly online but believe me just seeing somebody playing these games is an experience by itself

If you like coop shooters you'll probably go for titles like Dead Nation

I want to point out that split screen coop games is something i don't like But there are hundreds of games on Playstation Store that you can try (beginning with their demos)
Old 04-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #8

I can recommend many but to make it simple I will just throw
some titles that might fit what you want....

These are War FPS's -
Medal of Honour (many in the series)
Call of Duty (many in the series)
Rainbow six, Vegas 1,2 (has really good Co-op)
Brothers in Arms (many in the series)
Battlefield 1,2 (with various expansions)
ˆBad Company 1,2 (Battlefield spin off, with co-op)
America's Army (realistic FPS)
Black (not sure if this is on PS3)
Call of Juaruz (Western FPS)
Delta Force: Black Hawk Down (oldie but a goodie)
Homefront (America gets attacked by Koreans)

Other FPS
BioShock 1,2 (set in an alternative past, you might like this one)
Fall out 3 vegas (excellent FPS RPG
Far Cry (FPS set in paradise)
Crysis 1,2 (very good on PS3)
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (Creepy Lovecraftian horror)
FEAR 1,2 (supernatural FPS)
Half Life 1,2 (One of the best story driven FPS exploration game)
Left 4 Dead (Zombie survival FPS)

There are heaps more but these are all I can think at the moment
that are not fantasy or Sci-Fi. Just google the name and you can read more info on each.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #9

L.A. Noire is released next month too, another third person game that's been praised in many a preview for its adventure game elements. (Interrogations, investigations and like. )

Might be something you'd both like to play assuming it lives up to the hype.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

I'm definitely planning to check out LA Noire myself. Maybe I'll be able to convince him to play adventure (or adventure-like) games with me someday, but he really wants a shoot-em-up to start. (Actually he doesn't really want anything, but I'm pestering him to at least try *something* so he's humoring me!)

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I'll check out some reviews!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #11

Half life 1 isn't on ps3.