You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Why turn based rpgs like FF13 annoy me

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 02:59 AM   #21
kamikaze hummingbirds

Yeah. That's always been the problem with the Final Fantasy games imo, three or four bosses in a row - with no oppurtunity to save or heal or anything.
Gah!
Old 03-31-2010, 03:42 AM   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
Yeah. That's always been the problem with the Final Fantasy games imo, three or four bosses in a row - with no oppurtunity to save or heal or anything.
Gah!
Until FFXIII, that is. Even the final boss has a checkpoint before each phase and, of course, you start at full health anyway.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:22 AM   #23
kamikaze hummingbirds

I'll probably reminisce about my angers when I decide to replay FFVIII this summer.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:18 AM   #24

Yeah I enjoy the fact that you get full health before each battle but that is because there is nonstop battles during most of the game. I actually enjoy the combat system and its fast past nature more then previous Final Fantasy games. And the combat is not even technically turn based in the traditional sense but based around an attack gauge.

And on a side note its weird how they designed this game. I mean the first 80% of the game consists entirely of linear levels where you move forward in a straight line with no exploration. Then at the end when you go to pulse the game suddenly becomes an open world full of extremely open maps, side missions and multiple ways to progress through the level. I dont understand why they didn't use this approach at all during the first 30 hours of gameplay because alot of people will give up long before that and wont even get to experience the more open elements the game has to offer.

Recently finished or playing: Sam and Max episode 2, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Alpha Protocal.