You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General What was the first game you ever played?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Banned User

Default What was the first game you ever played?

For me it was pong on a computer with a 5 inch green screen built right into the computer and a drive bay just as big as the computer to read the disks like a floppy but bigger and thin

Pong frist second was frogger.. on the same green screen computer..
Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikdevid View Post
For me it was pong on a computer with a 5 inch green screen built right into the computer and a drive bay just as big as the computer to read the disks like a floppy but bigger and thin

Pong frist second was frogger.. on the same green screen computer..
Ohh, you brought old memories. I was going to say carmen sandiego but i remember that hardware you described, it was similar to the pc in the pic?

I remember I had a PC like that at home, and these giant floppy disks too. But i can't remember pretty well the first game i've played in it, i think it was an elevator game or something like that and surely it was before carmen sandiego.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Stalker of Britain

Probably the old "Oregon Trail" on the Apple.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 11-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
Psychonaut

Probably Pong or Space Invaders on the the Atari 2600.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:52 AM   #5
The Quiet One

I think the first game(s) I played were on our very first PC, which had Norton Commander installed. We had two pinball games called Pot of Gold and Deep Sea or Deep Blue Sea. I can't remember now. There was also a space game, but I can't remember what it was called. I'm not sure what it was, whether it was an action or RPG game, as I never got very far. All I remember was that you could cruise around space, meet other beings and talk to them. You could either be kind to them or hostile. I think... it may be Stellar Defense II. But I'm not sure. Either way, it wasn't very good.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 11-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

1991, Street Fighter II - if my memory doesn't trick me
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 11-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #7

That "table-tennis" thing, with two paddles and a bouncing white square as "ball". 1975 something. A big box that connected to the tv. My father bought it and was very proud. No one had ever seen anything like it...
Old 11-24-2009, 07:34 AM   #8

Something on the Atari 7800 when I was four. Probably Battletank or Defender or something like that. Mario and Duck Hunt on my older cousin's NES was next.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
Junior Mint

Berzerk! on an arcade machine, when I was about 3 or 4. I fell in love immediately. It's still one of my all-time favorite arcade games.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #10

For games on PC it would have to be Where in Europe is Carman Sandiego. I know I thrilled to see the animation of the paddywagon show up and arrest the criminal.

That was my first PC. I even learned to create batch files to get the game to run correctly in that DOS setting without fiddling with it each time.

It was another thrill when I debugged my first program (batch file). Had no training whatsoever, so I learned as I went.

My actual first game on a game system was Pong.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #11

Pitfall on the atari 7600 I think. It's been so long I can't really remember. Either pitfall or that tanks game they had. I remember the second was Impossible Mission on Apple IIC.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #12

My mom used to be a radio host when I was little, and she would bring me in to her work on the weekends. The sound engineer was all proud of his SEPERATE computer (which was like the first mac) and showed me how to play space invaders and some other game he had on there. I think that was '91.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #13

We also had the Pong console. Several of those handheld games, a Donkey Kong variety, a Popeye game (don't ask) and this cool split screen thing where you control a lifeboat to save passengers jumping off a cruise ship.

Next was the Atari console with Pacman. Got it one Christmas after I lost my Pacman handheld game. Got about a dozen games for the Atari over the years. Last one was a Smurfs game.

Then my first PC I had Prince of Persia and some golf game. Then Monkey Island and the rest is history.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 11-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

I think it was Cat or Cats or however it was called
Old 11-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
Stalker of Britain

Catz? I STILL play Catz and Dogz 5!!!
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #16
Homer of Kittens

Probably Donkey Kong in the Nintendo Game and Watch series.

or a Youtube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRXJKmuvvlk

It's really interesting how this was the forefather of what today is the Nintendo DS.
I remember I finished the game completely (score 999, and then it resets at 0 with crazy speed). I had 14 games in total in the Game and Watch series. Good times

Firefox rules
Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #17

The Game & Watch series, that's what I meant with those handhelds. Thanks!

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 12-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #18
the midnight rambler

I'd quite like to know how old people are here to get a good idea of when they started to play games.

I'm 26 and as far as I know my memory seems to serve me best when it comes to games as a kid! My first game was on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128K (with built in tape deck!) and I think it was Commando, Kane, Odd Job Eddie, Crazy Golf or Bomb Jack because that's all my grandad had. I would have been about 4-6 years old. Blimey.

Last edited by geggis; 12-04-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: grammar breakdown
Old 12-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #19
Stalker of Britain

I'm 19, and I remember playing the first "Oregon Trail" on this very old Apple. I also played a game where you were a bum called "Rags to Riches" and another one called "Bellow the Root" on my brother's Commodore 64...
Old 12-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #20

I don't exactly know what the first video game was I ever played, but it was one on the C64, and I assume it was Pitfall, since I remember this the best from that time. Another game I remember was set in a kind of labyrinth you had to get out of. You could tell the game how hard it should be. If you set it to the easiest setting then you may be able to walk out of it in a straight line! I think you got points subtracted when you looked at the overview map...hm, I really don't know the name of the game, but it wasn't very interesting, great or fun anyway.