You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Beyond Good & Evil 2 might not happen!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
kiss me Lewton

Send a message via MSN to carlotta von uberwald
Default Beyond Good & Evil 2 might not happen!!!

As a Big Fan of BGE I was sad to find out they might not make the game at all Technically it's not an adventure game due to the fighting but the story was gripping, imaginative and it felt like an adventure game to me. I would love to know your thoughts on BGE 1 & BGE 2?

The sacred lace of Hyperopia the goddess of shoes, the holy trolley of Mr. Safeway, the blessed chamber pot of the whinging martyrs of constipata. Anything could become a sacred relic if you weren't careful enough.

I never misenthropated anything!

Malaclypse is a nut!!!

Keep The Adventure Alive!
Old 08-01-2009, 04:35 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlotta von uberwald View Post
As a Big Fan of BGE I was sad to find out they might not make the game at all Technically it's not an adventure game due to the fighting but the story was gripping, imaginative and it felt like an adventure game to me. I would love to know your thoughts on BGE 1 & BGE 2?
What? Why?
I've been waiting for a sequel since I finished BGE all those years ago, it's one of the best games I've played, ever. The story, music, characters, the environment and the gameplay was perfection.
I was slightly disappointed when I saw the trailers for BGE2, it looked like a Mirror's Edge copy. But I WANT a sequel, I demand it. A game so great as BGE deserves a sequel.
And I know it's not considered a traditional adventure game, but I believe it's kind of similar to Dreamfall in some parts. It's like a cross between Dreamfall & The legend of Zelda ^^
Old 08-01-2009, 06:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlotta von uberwald View Post
Where did this come from? Proof? Links?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
Junior Mint

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...-after-all.ars

If they don't finish the game, I will never buy an Ubisoft product again. BG&E is one of my all time favorite games.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...-after-all.ars

If they don't finish the game, I will never buy an Ubisoft product again. BG&E is one of my all time favorite games.
Lies, you'll still buy Assassins Creed 2. lol

Anyways, I hope this is a joke. There are so many games coming out that look horrible.

Then again, maybe the game isn't ready to see a sequel.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
Homer of Kittens

Ubisoft has disappointed me a lot in the last few years. It started with the deterioration of the quality of the Prince of Persia franchise (after Sands of Time) culminating in the very average reboot of the franchise on the new consoles. And then there is the new Rayman games on the Wii (they don't even include Rayman anymore), which took one of the best platformers ever, and transformed it into a bunch of mini games. I wouldn't be surprised if they disappoint all of us by pulling the plug on Beyond Good & Evil 2, though I sure hope they don't.

Firefox rules
Old 08-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
Ubisoft has disappointed me a lot in the last few years. It started with the deterioration of the quality of the Prince of Persia franchise (after Sands of Time) culminating in the very average reboot of the franchise on the new consoles. And then there is the new Rayman games on the Wii (they don't even include Rayman anymore), which took one of the best platformers ever, and transformed it into a bunch of mini games. I wouldn't be surprised if they disappoint all of us by pulling the plug on Beyond Good & Evil 2, though I sure hope they don't.
I mostly agree, although I think that they need to work on BG&E 2 while they still have some talent and can afford to do it, because I think if they don't do it no one will, unfortunately.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Banned User

Quote:
Yet I thought the new Prince of Persia was the greatest thing to ever happen to the series. With a beautiful story, easy control scheme, simple but very fullfeeling freerun gameplay, great character development, awesome voice acting and simple puzzles. Not to mention the boss fights were pretty good.

Assassins Creed had an amazing story, great visuals, but repetitive gameplay. Later leading to Mirrors Edge, which wasn't so bad and wasn't so great. Sure it had some pretty good visuals and gameplay, but it wasn't really anything special. It still doesn't come close to the xbox game Breakdown.

I understand your hate, but seriously, like every other angry person, they don't see the big picture. The mind is clouded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post
I mostly agree, although I think that they need to work on BG&E 2 while they still have some talent and can afford to do it, because I think if they don't do it no one will, unfortunately.
Thats what they said about Sam and Max, and now we have two awesome seasons of a new game series.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Later leading to Mirrors Edge, which wasn't so bad and wasn't so great. Sure it had some pretty good visuals and gameplay, but it wasn't really anything special. It still doesn't come close to the xbox game Breakdown.
Mirrors Edge is not from Ubisoft. It's a Dice game, published by EA.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Mirrors Edge is not from Ubisoft. It's a Dice game, published by EA.
Weird. I had it in my mind that all the games were connected because the free running mechanics are pretty much all the same.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccsie View Post
Are you mad because the games you yourself wanted aren't being produced? That's understandable and I can empathize. Unfortunately it's the nature of the business and we all know the business of games is hugely different from how it was 10 or even 5 years ago. The market's shifted here and there and new markets have emerged, and all that naturally influences how games are designed.

But I personally can't spend my own energy being disappointed by a company over a couple or so games, particularly when some of their other games interest me. I definitely look forward to Ubi's Assassin's Creed 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction, two critically and commercially successful franchises. BG&E2 probably had to be sacrificed because it was ultimately not considered a bankable enough IP, especially in today's economy, and that's unfortunate. But as we all know, it's business. The games industry, contrary to what some of us may believe, is not immune to the economic recession and they have to scramble to adapt.

However, further down the road it's possible that BG&E (and other beloved franchises) could get another chance. But that actually depends on the success of the more prominent titles like Assassin's Creed 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction. If these and other more marketable games do well commercially and critically, and if/when the economic pall gradually lifts, there may be enough profits from the sales of such strong franchises to help fund BG&E which, for now, remains on the back burner.

I know I'm gonna do my part and get AC2 and SC:C, they're looking damn sexy in the previews. Besides, I want me some hot Sam Fisher fixins. You know how much I "sympathize" with him. Heh heh...
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #12

Well, we don't know if BG&E2 is cancelled yet. It would be very cruel after announcing it with a great looking trailer and showing off amazing gameplay footage, though, even if the last video was unintentionally leaked.
Maybe they don't want to invest in it, but don't want to lose Michel Ancel either? Afaik he nearly left the company after they turned Rayman into a mini-game monstrosity behind his back. I think it was the deal that he would stay if he could do BG&E2. As far as I remember...

UbiSoft shouldn't forgot that over the years more gamers picked up BG&E and played it for the first time. It may not have been an instant success, but in the longterm it found a lot of fans. I don't know if UbiSoft wants to disappoint those.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
UbiSoft shouldn't forgot that over the years more gamers picked up BG&E and played it for the first time.
Oh, believe me, they haven't forgotten.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #14
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Yet I thought the new Prince of Persia was the greatest thing to ever happen to the series. With a beautiful story, easy control scheme, simple but very fullfeeling freerun gameplay, great character development, awesome voice acting and simple puzzles. Not to mention the boss fights were pretty good.
To each his own. You call it easy control scheme, I call it lacking any kind of challenge that I felt like the game was playing itself while I was watching it unfold. You say great character development, I say one of the most obnoxious and out of place voice characters in video game history. You say simple puzzles, I say, "What puzzles?". And you say boss fights were pretty good, I say, it's the same 4 bosses you fight over and over and over again.

Quote:
Assassins Creed had an amazing story, great visuals, but repetitive gameplay.
Can't argue there, I still haven't finished Assassin's creed because I was bored to death with the same side quests over and over and over again.
Quote:
I understand your hate, but seriously, like every other angry person, they don't see the big picture. The mind is clouded.
What's the big picture? Preach to me oh wise one. And who said I'm angry. I just expressed my disappointment that they might have canceled a sequel to one of my favorite games of all time, especially knowing that Monsieur Ancel himself was working on it. But I'm not losing sleep over it. There are way too many awesome games coming out this year that I'm excited about.

Firefox rules
Old 08-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Are you mad because the games you yourself wanted aren't being produced? That's understandable and I can empathize. Unfortunately it's the nature of the business and we all know the business of games is hugely different from how it was 10 or even 5 years ago. The market's shifted here and there and new markets have emerged, and all that naturally influences how games are designed.
I'm not mad just disappointed Mainly because Beyond Good and Evil is a brilliant game and the announced sequel was being developed by the same visionary behind the first game, Michel Ancel. As far as my rant about the rest of their games goes, I just haven't been satisfied with the games they have put out as of late as I was satisfied when I played Beyond Good and Evil and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Not sure what drove them for these radical design changes. It is probably like you said a huge market shift, with the success of the Wii, but from my experience, they are not as good of games as their predecessors.

Quote:

I know I'm gonna do my part and get AC2 and SC:C, they're looking damn sexy in the previews. Besides, I want me some hot Sam Fisher fixins. You know how much I "sympathize" with him. Heh heh...
SC:C is definitely looking good, but it is not my cup of tea, for the simple reason that I suck at stealth games. The only stealth game I ever finished was Metal Gear Solid, but I played that one mainly for the whacky story and over the top boss battles than the gameplay itself.

Firefox rules
Old 08-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #16
Junior Mint

Quote:
I can't speak for Soccer Dude, but the reason I am annoyed with Ubisoft is because they USED to be a company that would bring great, new ideas to the fore, as well as games with great story lines and gameplay. Nowadays, they're no better than any other game company. They're in the business of making sub-par sequels to already wildly-popular titles. A BG&E sequel -- a well-made one, but what else can we expect from Michel Ancel? -- would go a long way toward redeeming Ubisoft's integrity.

I realize times are tough, and that companies are "selling out" in order to stay afloat, buy why should they be spared from being called on it?

Quote:
To each his own. You call it easy control scheme, I call it lacking any kind of challenge that I felt like the game was playing itself while I was watching it unfold. You say great character development, I say one of the most obnoxious and out of place voice characters in video game history. You say simple puzzles, I say, "What puzzles?". And you say boss fights were pretty good, I say, it's the same 4 bosses you fight over and over and over again.
Agree with everything you said here, except for the characters and voice acting, which I thought were excellent. While I *liked* the new PoP game, it remains my least favorite game in the franchise (excepting the horrendous Prince of Persia 3D, which should just be stricken from the record ). The only real reason to play it is for the story and dialogue. Gameplay-wise, it's just a series of button-presses, and if you don't press the right button, you just go back and try again. The only really interesting boss battles are with the Warrior, and even then, the game tells you EXACTLY what you need to do to beat him. There's nothing to figure out, anywhere, and the only challenge is in guessing what button the game is going to tell you to press in order to stay alive.

Assassin's Creed disappointed me. I was expecting an interesting stealth-based game with a rich story. What I got was a repetitive fighting-and-climbing game with good graphics. My only saving grace was that I waited until it was $30 to buy it. I won't be buying the sequel.

SC: Conviction... well, maybe I'll eventually get into this series -- it looks cool -- but it seems just WAY too involved for someone like me -- the opposite of the new PoP game. My kind of stealth game is one like... well, BG&E, where being spotted isn't TOO punishing, if you can manage to get away and try again. Games like SC, Thief, and Hitman are waaaaay too hard for me. More importantly, I like a stealth game that doesn't rely almost 100% on stealth. BG&E contains a multitude of different types of gameplay -- platforming, racing, fighting, stealth, FPS elements, RPG elements, puzzles, and even an air-hockey-esque minigame. You just don't see too many games like that anymore. What will the new SC game bring to the table? While I haven't played it, Double Agent was kind of interesting in that it contained the loyalty gauges, which would go up or down depending on your actions in favor of one party or another... but gameplay-wise, wasn't it pretty much the same as the earlier titles?

Ubisoft used to set the bar, but nowadays, they seem to be just "getting by".

Last edited by booB; 08-04-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Afaik he nearly left the company after they turned Rayman into a mini-game monstrosity behind his back.
I thought Raving Rabbids was designed by Ancel, but before posting a reply I did some googling… Looks like you may be right. I like Raving Rabbids, but those previews describe a more exciting game.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #18

In a Danish newspaper I read about something called 'the long tail'. Basically this theory says that it is better to get your invested money back over a long period of time instead of just a short period of time. Corporations and game publishing houses may not see it this way; they should.

Last edited by aries323; 08-14-2009 at 06:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #19
Game Creator Hobbyist

That's something that's becoming more important now with downloads. When they don't have to fight for shelf space, games don't have to stop selling after a few weeks.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:35 PM   #20

Its now confirmed at GC that game is indeed on hold.