You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Castlevania: Lords of shadow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 AM   #21

You know what would even more perfect. If they released the three GBA titles on a single DS cartridge. Like they did with Megaman Zero 1-4
Old 10-04-2010, 03:24 AM   #22

Demo released on XBL. My night has been made. Can't wait to buy the game now.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 10-04-2010, 04:12 AM   #23
The Quiet One

Sweet. Gonna log on and download it now!
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 AM   #24
The Quiet One

Anyone playing this now? What are your first impressions?

I'm only a few stages into Chapter 2, but I'm enjoying it so far. The graphics and weather effects are really impressive and I can tell this is gonna be an epic journey. I didn't expect the game to span 2 CDs. Usually it's RPGs/JRPGs that span over a number of discs.

I have noticed that there does seem to be quite a few references to other games and movies. Certain lines and events reminded me of Lord of the Rings. A perfect example is when you go into the spider cave.

From what I've read, and it does seem to be the case, the game gives you too much of a helping hand. In every stage you get a prompt telling you what to use or how to get through/past certain obstacles. The solutions a lot of the time have been pretty straightforward and go without saying. Thankfully it hasn't happened with the odd few challenging puzzles I've encountered. I hope they become more challenging later on. I like how you can use XP points to 'buy' the solution to the puzzles. It reminds me of Tex Murphy. It makes me all the more determined to crack them myself.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 10-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #25

^
Nice. But the game probably includes an option to turn off the help right?
Old 10-09-2010, 02:50 AM   #26
The Quiet One

Unfortunately not; I checked.

I'm nearing the end of Chapter 2 and I've met this female character who communicates with you (Gabriel) via telepathy. She just doesn't shut up! I've started fighting my second titan and she keeps telling you what to do, over and over again... Either that, or she keeps taunting the titan to gets its attention.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #27

Enjoyed the demo but haven't picked it up yet due to a concern. While the demo was exciting it was basically one cinema after another, each then leaving the player in an arena-like environment to face off against foes. There wasn't any in-game transition between combat, travel, and exploration. Just one "set piece" after another. So my question is whether the entire game is paced like the demo or if there is actually any exploration and traversing of the environments (ala Ninja Gaiden, DMC, or similar action-adventures)? To me if there's no exploration then it's not Castlevania and I can pass on another cinematic-drive button masher...
Old 10-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #28
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
So my question is whether the entire game is paced like the demo or if there is actually any exploration and traversing of the environments (ala Ninja Gaiden, DMC, or similar action-adventures)? To me if there's no exploration then it's not Castlevania and I can pass on another cinematic-drive button masher...
Pretty much, yeah. You will traverse through the environments - climbing, jumping, swinging etc. - but the levels (or stages) do get repetitive to be honest. Although there's usually more than one path to take to get to a certain point within the level (i.e: the end), the levels are very linear and there's very little to do. You also have to put up with a fixed camera as well; you can't even move the damn thing.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #29

I really enjoyed the demo
also it looks like there is going to be a sequel

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1127060p1.html
Old 10-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #30
The Quiet One

That was quick.

On another note, I miss Michiru Yamane's music.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #31

lol indeed it was

I heard a few soundtracks by Michiru Yamane's
and it was awesome