You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Sonic returning in 2D

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
The Quiet One

Default Sonic returning in 2D

Looks like SEGA have been listening to their fans (after all this time) and are bringing Sonic the Hedgehog back in glorious HD 2D!
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 09-09-2009, 03:02 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Yay for the blue porcupine!

I adored Sonic back then, when I was the proud owner of a MedaDrive
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-09-2009, 03:52 AM   #3
The Quiet One

Classic gaming console. I remember when I was about four or five, I got out of the bath one evening, and there it was connected up to the TV. My mum and dad had bought one for me and my brother as a present. The first Megadrive game we had/played was Sonic 2. Whilst me and my brother were ecstatic, my mum wasn't happy. She was afraid that video games would take over our lives. I guess she was right.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 09-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
the midnight rambler

Haha, I think she was!

I had a SNES first with Starwing/fox then swapped it for a Megadrive and loved the Sonic games. The thing that I loved the most about those games was how the music loops were so short yet were catchy as hell and didn't annoy the crap out of you. Now that's some serious aural mastery. I remember getting sad at the beginning of the Winged Fortress level because Tails went down in the plane. I thought he was dead but then he returned on the Death Egg level!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I think Sega is totally missing the point. The problem was never 3D. It's that they stuffed in so much nonsense that had nothing to do with running fast, nonsense which just distracted from the good parts and wasted the player's time. That problem started when they moved to 3D, because suddenly the team size was much bigger and they could afford to stick in random nonsense. If they switch to 2D but don't restore focus, it'll still be just as muddled a game as the last few.

There will still be long and unskippable cutscenes, there will still be more minigames than gameplay, there will still be a large and tedious overworld, there will still be RPG-like advancement, there will still be multiple characters, and it'll still be a lousy game. But it'll be back in 2D. Whoop-dee-doo.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #6

Well sonic is a cute concept and all but it's hard to get excited when a developer says "We're returning to our roots, in the dire hope we'll make something worthy again"

I used to enjoy sonic, oh well.

Shades of Violet: Song of the Clockwork Princess - Real soon!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
The Quiet One

Hm, it is possible that, even though it goes back to 2D, it could still be crap. As MoriartyL said, the game could still be full of nonsense considering what the 3D games are like. I was happy when it was Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, but then in the more recent Sonic games, SEGA decided to add loads of other stupid/uninteresting characters and scenarios. Were-Hog, anyone? I also hate Dr. Robotnik's name change - Dr. Eggman.

The first proper 3D Sonic game I played was Sonic Heros for the PS2. Did not like it. I think I managed to get near the end, but I gave up and lost interest. The move to 3D, cack gameplay and levels, constantly dying because I could never see how close to an edge I was (thanks to how fast you're going and the camera), given shite scores at the end of each level (no matter how fast or well you think you did), the new characters and the horrendous voice acting, just made the experience... ugh.

I guess we'll just have to see what this new will be like.

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 09-09-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #8
the midnight rambler

Crap characters, mini games and gimmicks aside I've never been able to see how a Sonic game could work in 3D. As a huge fan of F-Zero GX I know how tough merely driving at silly speeds is never mind collecting rings, hitting enemies and doing tricky jumps. The thrill in 3D is immense but controlling the little blue blur would be a pain. My only suggestion would be to make worlds that are huge and open with zero pop up, envisage Flower or Shadow of the Colossus style vistas hurtling along like Space Harrier or Super Hang On. I don't know but that's the thing that made Mario a much 'easier' game to develop logistically: his adventures never relied on speed so platforming was a much easier task. Of course it doesn't help that Sega missed the point so monumentally either.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #9
J.H
Frak.

I first played Sonic on my Master System, it was built into the console, if you started it with no cartridge in Sonic would automatically play lol.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:58 AM   #10
The Quiet One

Default Sonic the Hedgehog 4

*bump*

It looks like we'll be getting a true sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog 3 on XBLA, PSN and WiiWare. Looky here.