You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Into sneakers? "Thi4f" announced.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
merely human

Default Into sneakers? "Thi4f" announced.

Quote:

This is one of the least-surprising announcement mixed with the least amount of information we've seen in a while, but it's official: Thief 4 is coming. The story broke via Twitter, there is an official page up that shows little more than a logo, and you can speculate endlessly on the game's forum, if you'd like.

Other than hoping for something more like Thief 2 and less like Thief 3 (and gagging a little at the l33t-spe4k title) there isn't much to say here.

It's coming. We'll probably get more information at E3. Take another look at the logo.
Anyone else here play a Thief game? I did the original, Thief: The Dark Project (PC), own but never played Thief: The Metal Age (PC), and had a good time with Thief: Deadly Shadows on the original XBox.

Heads up for anyone looking for a stealthy time.

Eidos Montreal is also working on Deus Ex 3.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #2

Loved Thief 1 and 2. Every year or two I usually reinstall one or the other and play through again.

My preference was toward 2, as it felt more like a game based around actually being a thief, whereas #1, as good as it was, had too much dungeoneering vs zombies, etc. for my liking.

The less said about the third game, the better. Mainly because it was dumbed down in so many ways, compared to the previous ones.

So... if #4 is anything like #2, or #1, then I'm there. Otherwise I'll pass.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Banned User

Great news, Horrible Title. Really? Thiaf? Is that really a great idea, not to mention feeding the troll that is Numbers in Titles?

Anyways, I loved Thief 1 & 2 with a little love for the third. The first two games have some of the best cinematic sequences I've ever seen in a first person shooter. It has style, beautiful cinematography, and great use of light and shadows.

Thief 3 did what Deus Ex 2 did to the first game. They better do it right with the fourth.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
kamikaze hummingbirds

Yes!!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
Psychonaut

This was possibly the worst kept secret in video games.

It's been widely rumoured for yonks.

Glad to see it's finally out of the closet. As long as it's more Thief 1 and less Thief 3.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Glad to see it's finally out of the closet.
Garrett is gay? There is a god after all!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
As long as it's more Th1ef and less Thi3f.
Fixed for you.

But seriously, what kind of moron came up with "Thi4f"? I believe/hope it's only a piece of promotional art, and the actual logo and title will be different, but still, considering that's all they revealed: worst first impression ever.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
merely human

Oh, please, people. Remember when we laughed at the name 'Wii' for Nintendo's next console? Are we laughing at it now?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
kamikaze hummingbirds

No, but that's only because they've gone out for a Wii.

*snickers*
Old 05-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Oh, please, people. Remember when we laughed at the name 'Wii' for Nintendo's next console? Are we laughing at it now?
Yes, but mostly at the mountains of dreadful shovelware they call games.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
I actually fiercely defended Wii's name back when everybody was laughing, but that's beside the point. We had known quite a lot about the console prior to that announcement. Conversely, this lame attempt at humour/being hip/appealing to younger audience/whatever is a first thing officially released concerning the game. We can't not comment on it, because it's all we've got. And it looks terrible.

If they really thought digit-as-a-letter is such a fitting way to market a Thief game (which makes you wonder how faithful a sequel is this going to be) and insisted on sticking with it... someone over at official forums needed already came up with an idea 444 times more subtle and pleasing to look at:

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 05-12-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I remain hopeful that it's just a teaser image, and isn't actually the final logo. For the past few days they've had the logo partially covered, and it could be that they just put the "4" there so that it would look like the original logo when semi-masked.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozwah View Post
Loved Thief 1 and 2. Every year or two I usually reinstall one or the other and play through again.

My preference was toward 2, as it felt more like a game based around actually being a thief, whereas #1, as good as it was, had too much dungeoneering vs zombies, etc. for my liking.

The less said about the third game, the better. Mainly because it was dumbed down in so many ways, compared to the previous ones.

So... if #4 is anything like #2, or #1, then I'm there. Otherwise I'll pass.
Could not agree more. I had same issues with thief 1 and liked thief 2 more for less 'creatures' levels and more dynamic missions, reallife stuff. And i too play thief yearly, it reminds me yearly how bad gaming has become with time.
And i highly doubt that any other company can match brilliance of original 2.

Thief3 was disappointment, i never felt as immersed, only few levels gave me same old feeling otherwise meh.

And this new studio opened by eidos , with new people on board, will try to immitate the essence of original.
Well how about allowing them to finish dx3 first and then milk other franchises.

Frankly, i am more pissed at announcement than happy, and the title thi4f doesn't help.
The amount of hatred the title getting on boards everywhere, i think they should reconsider it and rather subtitle it like Thief DS.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #14
Jen

Tee hee, whenever I see "Thi4f," I always read "Thifourfuff." That's just messed up!
Old 05-14-2009, 08:13 AM   #15
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
And this new studio opened by eidos , with new people on board, will try to immitate the essence of original.
Well how about allowing them to finish dx3 first and then milk other franchises.
Deus Ex and Thief 2 were made at the same time.

Most companies are split into teams, each handling a specific project. Thankfully there are reasons why fans have no say in business decisions.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
"Deus Ex and Thief 2 were made at the same time"

Most companies are split into teams, each handling a specific project. Thankfully there are reasons why fans have no say in business decisions.
Correction(not same time, bad knowledge prevails)

spector quote

I was a huge believer in the 'immersive simulation' game style, exemplified by games like Ultima Underworld, and I wanted to push the limits of that sort of game further. But I could never get the project off the ground at Origin or, later, at Looking Glass. (I think it was lack of interest at Origin/EA and it was mostly a lack of money at LG!) But then John Romero and Ion Storm came along and said, 'Make the game of your dreams. No limits.' It took me about two nanoseconds to say 'Yes!'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeusEx#Development_history

Ionstorm made Deusex, Lookingglass made Thief , though some people were same, but definitely not same time LOL. DX proper development started after thief2gold edition completion. Its good to be fan you know, they know what they are talking about than pointing out mistakes in others statement and showing their bad homework.
Also , i don't know which part of world you live in , fans decision matter alot, its consumer shaping industry now, their feedback on forums changes the entire content now.Do you know bioshock LE was decided by fans?
Heck even SF4 console exclusive characters made their way into the game by poll, lol.I can give more examples but that would be enough.

And i would love to check how this eidos business decision to hire new team will turn out,lol.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #17
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
Also , i don't know which part of world you live in , fans decision matter alot, its consumer shaping industry now, their feedback on forums changes the entire content now.Do you know bioshock LE was decided by fans?
Your confusing design decisions with Business decisions. Fans should never have control with that. Its like saying that the voting age in america should be lowered to 12. I don't see fans organizing teams and departments, choosing hourly wages, or hiring specific people.

Fans have no say in what a company can or cannot do when dealing with Business. When talking about design, then sure. Again, I said BUSINESS.

You may be a fan, but you don't know everything.

Good to know an honest date and company mistake is a felony.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Again, I said BUSINESS.

You may be a fan, but you don't know everything.
Depends how limited your view and definition of Business is....

Its HUGE and VAST thing , marketing is part of it and IT(net) getting customer feedback too to shape product comes in marketing of product and when product changes itself (like SF4 characters lineup which you totally ignored since you have nothing on that, you should know that beatemup fans buy games only if there favourite characters are there, so i gave example to show noobs like you that 'here' fans feedback changes the entire product and they have to FIX that character in the gamedesign).

There are books being written regularly with thousands of pages on Business, which DON'T end in single line.

There are 2 things in business , basics. Create a product and sell them , OR find people wants and sell that. You are talking to qualified MBA here, so get you H.W right.
Besides i have knowledge enough to prove you wrong with quotes and examples. Proved you wrong twice, thats enough, come up with examples nextime or PM me, you people always get egoistic and attack the person without any FRAME of reference untill moderator shows up.

So BACK TO TOPIC

New interview

http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/...perInterview/1

some LOL moments

'When I had time recently, I played Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, and that sort of thing, to really understand what makes those franchises as good as they are'

Assassinscreed, really?

Another

'No. With the fast evolving world of hardware, there's a lot of things that will be happening in the following years so we need to be close to that - but either way, there's a lot of work to be done. Presently the only asset that we're able to release is the logo, which we're pretty proud of as it's very respectful of the franchise and you can recognise it very rapidly, and once we have other types of assets we'll make them publicly available'

So they have no plans to change the logo, but are proud.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #19

I am interested in the game. I am hoping for it to be set in the modern day. I always wanted to play as a cat-burglar.