You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Beyond Good & Evil 2 leaked gameplay footage?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 01:40 AM   #21
Life and times of...

Well, maybe (maybe even probably ) "obviously" is an overstatement (I usually don't have enough time to think every word through), but now that I look back, I didn't just mean the graphics. What I meant was that I find that if the world is obviously like the "real" world and there's only humans there (as is in the trailer as far as I saw), I can't really see the pig-fella (whose name I forget) fitting there alone. And I'm not sure if the animal people in general would fit in these kinds of slum-type (though that's obviously not a slum) surroundings.

As far as just the graphics are concerned, well let me get back to my original statement: kinda so-so... I mean, it's true, you can't say in advance what will and will not work. Of course, it might be difficult to relate to the original, quite caricaturized style if the new one is hyperrealistic (the trailer is not quite there in my opinion, though close). Especially with the animal-people. But more important is of course the graphical style they choose, whether they go for a more bright and colourful game (not overly so, of course (but within good taste )) like the first one or a dark and, um, dirty one (that the trailer again threathens, but doesn't quite go there, which in my opinion would take away (at least part of) the feeling of the first game).

So, you're right, of course realistic graphics per se don't mean anything bad.

But my main point never really even was that in the first place, I'll wait for anything concrete before making any verdicts.

P.S. Wow, that's a lot of parenthesis again
Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #22
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Well, maybe (maybe even probably ) "obviously" is an overstatement (I usually don't have enough time to think every word through), but now that I look back, I didn't just mean the graphics. What I meant was that I find that if the world is obviously like the "real" world and there's only humans there (as is in the trailer as far as I saw), I can't really see the pig-fella (whose name I forget) fitting there alone. And I'm not sure if the animal people in general would fit in these kinds of slum-type (though that's obviously not a slum) surroundings.

As far as just the graphics are concerned, well let me get back to my original statement: kinda so-so... I mean, it's true, you can't say in advance what will and will not work. Of course, it might be difficult to relate to the original, quite caricaturized style if the new one is hyperrealistic (the trailer is not quite there in my opinion, though close). Especially with the animal-people. But more important is of course the graphical style they choose, whether they go for a more bright and colourful game (not overly so, of course (but within good taste )) like the first one or a dark and, um, dirty one (that the trailer again threathens, but doesn't quite go there, which in my opinion would take away (at least part of) the feeling of the first game).

So, you're right, of course realistic graphics per se don't mean anything bad.

But my main point never really even was that in the first place, I'll wait for anything concrete before making any verdicts.

Understandable, but its quite flawed thinking that way. You can't make a judgement of a game that isn't even out yet, not to mention has very little media content, and say its too real.

Honestly, I think with what little we have seen so far still says to me "It's BG&E".
Old 05-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #23
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
What I meant was that I find that if the world is obviously like the "real" world and there's only humans there (as is in the trailer as far as I saw), I can't really see the pig-fella (whose name I forget) fitting there alone.
I can see him fitting there, which was pretty much all I wanted to say. (Why shouldn't he and the other animal people fit with more realistic graphics?) Besides, wasn't Hillys also a pretty realistic-looking place? That's how I remember it anyway. And there were plenty of humans around, too.

Quote:
But more important is of course the graphical style they choose, whether they go for a more bright and colourful game (not overly so, of course (but within good taste )) like the first one or a dark and, um, dirty one (that the trailer again threathens, but doesn't quite go there, which in my opinion would take away (at least part of) the feeling of the first game).
There I might agree with you, but I'm an optimist so I think it'll end up fine.

Quote:
(That's how my writing often turns out, too.)
Old 05-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #24
merely human

I'm not quite sure what the qualifier of "realistic" is in how this game is being discussed here. By that do you all mean that the graphical style, the art direction, etc. look to be more true to life? As if you could easily step out of this world into that world?

What I noticed to be very different between BG&E and BG&E2 as glimpsed in these two trailers (the teaser and the 'leaked' action clip) is the amount of detail. BG&E2 is much higher resolution, therefore allowing, say, more light and shadow and pigmentation and texture on Pey'j as you can see in the above pic. But in my case it doesn't necessarily make the game world any more realistic, it merely makes it more detailed. I even venture to state that Monsieur Ancel most likely would've made the original BG&E that way if the technology had been available in 2003.

As for the population in the action clip, I just watched it again and saw that all of them, save for the cow, are human. But then what if that particular part of the city were largely populated by humans? Kinda like an ethnic neighbourhood of mostly Chinese or Puerto Ricans, but in this case species instead of races? Again, we still don't know until we see more of the game as it develops.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 05-18-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:33 AM   #25
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Understandable, but its quite flawed thinking that way. You can't make a judgement of a game that isn't even out yet, not to mention has very little media content, and say its too real.
Yeah, that's what I tried to say. I said I'm not making any verdicts yet. There's the risk that things might not work (and in my opinion the risk is in making the art-direction have too much realism (meaning making it look as much as the "real" world as possible as well as making it look too washed-out), as in my opinion much of the charm is in the fantasy setting). I also said that the trailer is close to there but didn't go too far.

And I hope I made it clear that that was merely the graphical fitting to the previous game. I said in the first post that the main point for me is still the story etc.

Oh, and in my opinion the first trailer fits the original game perfectly...
Old 05-21-2009, 02:24 AM   #26

It may be worth remembering that this was not intended to be shown publicly, so for all we know it was created to demonstrate some very specific aspect of the game and was never meant to give an impression of overall range of gameplay, setting or story.

These things are kept under wraps precisely because the Internets will go crazy over any pixel they can get their hands on and make wild assumptions based on very little information.

That said, colour me excited.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #27
Banned User

Its like when HL2 was leaked and people were complaining about how limited and unfinished it was. Its pure common sense that its not meant to be seen as is.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #28
Game Creator Hobbyist

Everyone that's posted has made such reservations: We don't know anything, but we discuss it anyway.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #29
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
Everyone that's posted has made such reservations: We don't know anything, but we discuss it anyway.
'Cautiously optimistic' is the term that applies here, I believe.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #30
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
It may be worth remembering that this was not intended to be shown publicly

I totally forgot that