You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Games you just keep coming back to

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #1

Default Games you just keep coming back to

Hi there,

Anyone care to list games that, no matter how old they are, you just keep playing and constantly (such as at least once a month)?

Here are mine:
Sega Rally Revo- taking over from Sega Rally on the Saturn, since buying it over a year ago, I'm still playing it on a weekly basis. I've owned GRID: Race Driver since but it just doesn't compare when you want a game that's simple, fast and intense.

Beach Life- whenever I want to play a relaxing game, this is it. Perfect soundtrack, good sense of humour, detailed graphics and enough stores and items to keep you entertained building your beach resort for hours.

Pro Pinball: The Web- got 5 minutes spare? This'll keep you entertained so long you'll have spent 15 minutes on it. Really deep pinball game.

Far Cry- I've downloaded demos to Crysis, CoD4, Airbourne, Bioshock, etc yet none of them have been as entertaining as this gem. A perfect mix of action, freedom and variety.

Max Payne I & II- for all your 3rd person action fun.Never gets boring.

Silent Hill 1-3- I don't know why but these don't get boring either. The atmosphere and detail to locations aren't what you get in any other game.

Worms Warfare 2 (DS)- been left in my DS almost all the time since I got it about 6 months ago. Worms at it's most perfected. I'm lucky to be able to play multiplayer with a few friends too.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:08 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

The Gabriel Knight series and - I must admit - the old Lemmings
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
The Quiet One

I'm not sure about replaying my favourite games once a month. More like, once every few months or year or so. It depends when i'm in the mood to replay them really. Usually if i'm playing a game, on a console for example, i'll keep playing it until i've fully finished it or there's nothing more i can do. Then i'll probably leave it for a long time.

Broken Sword 1-3 and Simon the Sorcerer 1-2 are some i'm known to replay. Probably more so than any other game. There'll be plenty of others no doubt, adventure or otherwise, i'll be replaying in the future. Like Gabriel Knight 1-3, Monkey Island 1-4, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle, BioShock, GTA III, GTA 4, Half-Life 1, 2, EP1 and EP2, The Darkness, Portal, Gears of War 1 & 2, Condemned, Dead Space, DOOM 3 etc.

The list could go on...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 01-03-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #4

I often replay first stage(s) of Doom and old nes games like Castlevania. Doesn't require lot of commitment, but they're always fun.

I don't know if I have it in me to complete old adventure games (I already know the puzzles so half of the fun is gone) or longer games again, knowing how much commitment they require.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
Random

Like 1 month ago i was trying to finish Outcast for the 2nd time, but Gow 2 took my attention. Outcast is a good game, anyone here have played?

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #6

Spider Solitaire, Bubble Ice Age, Ravenhearst games, Unreal Tournament (classic), Colin McRae Rally 2005.

Adventures:

Myst series, Silent Hill series.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:25 AM   #7
kamikaze hummingbirds

Silent Hill 2 - 4:
I'd replay the first one if I had it, but I have enjoyed every one of these (even 4, which I have no problem with) and I'm looking forward to Homecoming.

Broken Sword:
I've enjoyed all the Broken Swords, but the first blows the others out of the water in terms of suspense, atmosphere and humour (the Irish kid).

Deus Ex 1 & 2:
Both excellent, though I prefer the first one. The ratio of freedom to game structure is just right, I think.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
Like 1 month ago i was trying to finish Outcast for the 2nd time, but Gow 2 took my attention. Outcast is a good game, anyone here have played?
I've heard lots about it. Has quite a cult following. What's it about this game that you/ fans like so much?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
I've heard lots about it. Has quite a cult following. What's it about this game that you/ fans like so much?
It's pretty fun, have a rich storyline and a stunning songtrack. You control an american guy called cutter slade that is "locked" in a paralel universe and have the hard job to save the world. Sounds a little cliché but its pretty fun, it's similar as stargate series with portals stuff. I recommend that dude, graphicaly it's not that good because it's a 1999 game. But worths the catch!

Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
delusions of adequacy

i can revisit shorter or casual titles, or just dip my toe in previously finished games for a sense of nostalgia. Just briefly, but never to the extent of finishing them again.

My predilection for strong story driven games like some of my favourite adventure games and rpgs runs counter to the replayability craze. It doesn't factor into my purchase decision nearly so much anymore. I think once you have an emotionally rewarding play through of a game, it just cheapens that to try to replay it. Especially if all you're doing is trying small variations for the sake of variation.

When approaching crpgs, I always 'waste' hours, if not days trying to work out the best character for the story on offer. And once I've had that rewarding play through, going back feels not only like wasted time, but takes the shine off of fond memories.

I completely destroyed Knights of the old republic for myself by playing it through too often. Now I just see its flaws and little of its charm, I hate every line of dialogue. Jade Empire suffered a similar fate. I did manage to replay Arcanum all the way through another time, and I'm glad I did because the first time was rushed and not all that memorable but the second time was just the most perfect playthrough after finding *just* the right character to play. I will never play it again and risk ruining that at all, and yet I will never sell the game second hand either because of that wonderful run through.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
The Gabriel Knight series
Why am I not surprised?

Hum, dunno. I hate replaying games. Maybe some fighting games like Tekken Tag or 3rd Strike.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #12

I keep coming back to Half-Life. And whenever a new episode is released, right after I play it, I have to go back to the very beginning of Half-Life 1 and play all the way through to the end of the latest episode.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #13
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
It's pretty fun, have a rich storyline and a stunning songtrack. You control an american guy called cutter slade that is "locked" in a paralel universe and have the hard job to save the world. Sounds a little cliché but its pretty fun, it's similar as stargate series with portals stuff. I recommend that dude, graphicaly it's not that good because it's a 1999 game. But worths the catch!
I actually came here today solely to find out if Outcast was a great game for adventure lovers. Turns out I'm right?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:08 AM   #14
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneho Chane View Post
I actually came here today solely to find out if Outcast was a great game for adventure lovers. Turns out I'm right?
Dude, i think it really is. It's not a point and click, but have a lot of "take this and give to him" and combine stuff. It's a nice game to anybody. Have action, humor and pretty music! It's one of the games that marked on my gamer life.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #15
Schattenjäger

There are few games i keep on playing again and again throughout the years, but these would be the ones that come to my mind :

Gabriel Knight 1-3
Under A Killing Moon, Pandora Directive , Tex Murphy Overseer
Max Payne 1 +2
Resident Evil 1
Phantasmagoria 1 +2
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
Master of time and space

I'm seldom replay any of my old games. Though games like Gradius, Ikaruga, Guitar Hero and Geometry Wars might change that since I've been playing them on and off for months now.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #17

The games I tend to revisit semi-regularly and fall in love with all over again include:

- Picross DS (still play at least weekly after several years)
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (complete from scratch with a different character every six months or so)
- Rez (gets played at least monthly)
- Thief: The Dark Project (re-install and play through probably once a year)
- Thief 2: The Metal Age (same as above)
- Mario Kart (various platforms since SNES, currently DS multiplayer most lunchtimes with co-workers)
- GTA III (completed several times, still prefer it to subsequent versions)
- Tetris (various platforms since release, currently DS)

While I tend not to replay adventure-style games, I've played through the following more than once:

- Monkey Island 1 & 2 (play about every two years)
- Maniac Mansion (for multiple solutions/endings)
- Zork I and II
- The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy
Old 01-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozwah View Post
- GTA III (completed several times, still prefer it to subsequent versions)
Same with me.

I still like the old Liberty City the best.
It has the best atmosphere.
Don´t know why, probably because of the nostalgia factor or because GTA III was the one which pushed the franchise into 3D realms. But I like to replay the third one the best.

Best controls in GTA series: GTA IV (by a long shot)

Other games I like to revisit:

Broken Sword 1
Gabriel Knight Games
Jedi Outcast/Academy
Max Payne 1&2
Pro Evolution Soccer 6
Old 01-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #19
Random

Quote:
Resident Evil 1
Love to replay resident evil too. I've played for the first time when i was a kid and it used to scare me as hell, hahaha.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #20

I reply GTA III but I never complete it. By the time I get far my computer gets wiped due to crashes and I lose it all and have to start all over again