You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
handsome

Default Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII

New Trailers:

Final Fantasy XIII

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

seems they're back to a more futuristic style like VII or VIII, which is great imo..

Versus looks cool kinda surprised when i saw blood, cant remember seeing blood since VII.

enjoy
Old 12-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #2

These games look like a joke. Random scenes of people spining around killing and destroying pretty much mindlessly.

And still that stupid androdynous look on blokes. When I bought Final Fantasy 7-9 the style seemed so unique and neutral. Now it's just silly anime tosh.

This is the exact reason I stopped playing Japanese RPGs and turned to adventures.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
handsome

you dont even know whats the story about ...do you really think its all about

Quote:
(...) people spining around killing and destroying pretty much mindlessly.
?? FF 8 trailer was also about people fighting, explosions (with some dancing yeah ) spaceships and missiles and whatever.

9 style was unique? hum ok.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:53 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Terramax comment is just nonsense.

The FF series have always had a massive focus on anime-style superhero combat with over-the-edge supermoves as well as killing hordes of monsters to grind up levels. When it comes to style FF7-9 is no different from FF10-12 or FF6, they are all unique productions with their own unique design. FFIX is perhaps the least unique but on the other hand it's my favorite in the series.

What makes the FF games have always been the great storylines and well presented characters. Often the games deal with the tough challenges that face us humans depending on who we are, what others expect from us and what we try to be. Theese personal tales are often as exciting as the main plot. FFXII fell short in developing it's characters, but when I compare with the rest of the games 2006, I cannot come up with a single adventure or rpg that was equally solid and well produced in story and game mechanics. Yes, that includes Oblivion which I really feel is overrated since it's just a beautiful engine with horrible RPG mechanics, no story and no interesting NPC's. Gothic 3 and NWN2 was decent but incomplete.

I look forward to FFXIII, but im not sure about Versus which seem to not be a RPG.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:08 AM   #5
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
I look forward to FFXIII, but im not sure about Versus which seem to not be a RPG.
I remember reading somewhere that it would be like Kingdom Hearts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII

Quote:
The game is directed and designed by Tetsuya Nomura, who previously directed and designed the Kingdom Hearts series(...)
Very little information regarding the design or plot of the game has been revealed as yet, although Square Enix representatives have stated that it will be primarily action-oriented and may be the darkest Final Fantasy yet.
hmm well ... yeah, or maybe will be like Crisis Core (?)
Old 12-23-2007, 06:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
?? FF 8 trailer was also about people fighting, explosions (with some dancing yeah )
It's called a montage. Look it up.

Quote:
Terramax comment is just nonsense.

The FF series have always had a massive focus on anime-style superhero combat with over-the-edge supermoves as well as killing hordes of monsters to grind up levels.
FF7 didn't have any FMVs that took absolutely ages with mindless battles. None of what I can remember. They were all cleverly integrated into the story.

FF8 on the other hand did have one battle where the main character is flying on a ship as the background has some war going on, but I believe this was integrated into the gameplay also.

Although I don't think I got further than half of the 2nd disc, I couldn't find any 'epic' battles in FF9.

Quote:
When it comes to style FF7-9 is no different from FF10-12 or FF6, they are all unique productions with their own unique design.
But they're NOT. They're all look exactly the same. Never played FF6, but 7, 8 & 9 appeared to differentiate one another with their graphic style, settings and stories.

FF7 = Steampunk, FF8 = modern sci-fi mixed with European military, FF9 = medieval elements.

You've all completely misread and misinterpreted my first post. I said it's all the same. Shelling out money for the same redrawn pretty boys, dumba**e, schmaltzy love triangles and stupid over-the-top battles. “Well presented characters”. That’s the most nonsense on this thread.

Fair enough, 2 or 3 like each other is ok I guess. But we're coming up to 13 in the main series, not including all these spin-offs, the amount of money and acclaim these guys have and they still can't be bothered to do something different.

And the characters aren't that well presented anymore either. There's very little depth to half of them. I've never found anything relatable to any of the latest instalments.

My whole point is the series has become a repetitive, subdued anime mess.
Like Anime in general.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
FF7 didn't have any FMVs that took absolutely ages with mindless battles. None of what I can remember. They were all cleverly integrated into the story.
FF8 on the other hand did have one battle where the main character is flying on a ship as the background has some war going on, but I believe this was integrated into the gameplay also.
Although I don't think I got further than half of the 2nd disc, I couldn't find any 'epic' battles in FF9.
The storylines have always been the strength of the FF series and the main reason to play them. This have often meant long and deep cutscenes, FF7 being no less than the rest.

Every FF game have been epic in scale, and they all have several large key battles important to the story in which the characters play an important part. In theese epic battles there are both clashes between cultures and clashes against huge monstrous entities (monsters that often symbolising something great and important, such as the Weapons of the World in FF7, Sin in FFX, the Eidolons in FF9 etc). FFXII is the only game in the series in which the clash of civilizations plays a greater role than the characters personal storylines, something which was the cause of lots of criticism and something the developers have promised to make sure is not repeated in XIII.

"Gameplay" is a word that can mean a lot of different things. While the FF series have been innovative with it's RPG mechanics, they have never put much focus on customability and party tactics (compared with games like Baldurs Gate and Wizardry 8). Usually grinding is the key to beating the tougher opponents, except for the optional battles which are the only ones requiring you to really think about what you are doing. You never really had a chance to actually change the game either, not even in FF7. Compare this with games like Jade Empire and Vampire: Bloodlines which have a whole sea of alternate endings depending on your choices.

Quote:
But they're NOT. They're all look exactly the same. Never played FF6, but 7, 8 & 9 appeared to differentiate one another with their graphic style, settings and stories.
FF7 = Steampunk, FF8 = modern sci-fi mixed with European military, FF9 = medieval elements.
Quote:
You've all completely misread and misinterpreted my first post. I said it's all the same. Shelling out money for the same redrawn pretty boys, dumba**e, schmaltzy love triangles and stupid over-the-top battles. “Well presented characters”. That’s the most nonsense on this thread.
Fair enough, 2 or 3 like each other is ok I guess. But we're coming up to 13 in the main series, not including all these spin-offs, the amount of money and acclaim these guys have and they still can't be bothered to do something different.
And the characters aren't that well presented anymore either. There's very little depth to half of them. I've never found anything relatable to any of the latest instalments.
My whole point is the series has become a repetitive, subdued anime mess.
Like Anime in general.
FF6 is about the clash between magic and science, old and new, the machines and the spiritual world.
FF7 is indeed about steampunk, but there's more about it than that. In FF7 the planet itself have a life, the lifesource. The "Weapons" which you face, for example, are the worlds own soldiers. FF7 rise questions about what responsibilities we have to the planet itself and to protect it from harm. It questions exploiting the planets resources for power and profit when you might end up killing it and yourself in the process.
FF8 are just as you say sci-fi mixed with European military, but it's also a tale about romance and love and a "highschool drama".
FF9 takes the series back to it's roots. It's actually the only game from FF6 and beyond that is like the first five games, with black mages, white mages and epic fantasy. But FF9 is also about the difficulties of finding yourself. In FF9 each of the main characters struggle with the meaning of their lives and who they are and they will have to decide who they are going to be.
FFX is difficult to explain without spoiling the plot. By the first glance it's a world tormented by a huge monster known symbolically as "Sin". Beneath the surface it is deeply inspired by the real world and modern events and it strongly questions a few aspects of our world, rising a very important warning of who and what we choose to trust.
FFX-2 is inspired by pop-culture and teen mangas. It's a very different experience in that regard.
FFXII is about salvation vs revenge. It's deeply inspired by the Star Wars universe and it's easy to say "ripoff".

Despite having similar themes such as moogles and chocobo's, the FF games are very different and unique. I think you are just getting old.

Last edited by JemyM; 12-23-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
handsome

Quote:
These games look like a joke. Random scenes of people spining around killing and destroying pretty much mindlessly(...)When I bought Final Fantasy 7-9 the style seemed so unique and neutral. Now it's just silly anime tosh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
?? FF 8 trailer was also about people fighting, explosions (with some dancing yeah ) spaceships and missiles and whatever.
Quote:
It's called a montage. Look it up.
so... XIII isnt a montage then?
Old 12-24-2007, 02:22 AM   #9
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
I think you are just getting old.
Not quite sure what you mean by this. Since Terramax's profile doesn't include his date of birth then he could well be younger than you. Regardless, I don't see what someone's age has to do with the discussion. At most it means someone will have had the opportunity to play more games and thus be more likely to see repeating themes.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 12-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by this. Since Terramax's profile doesn't include his date of birth then he could well be younger than you. Regardless, I don't see what someone's age has to do with the discussion. At most it means someone will have had the opportunity to play more games and thus be more likely to see repeating themes.
Difficult to explain what I mean with "getting old", and I did not mean it as an insult either. I think we all have moments in life when we realize that something we used to enjoy simply does not entertain us anymore. Maybe we get enough of it or maybe we move on and want to see something new, something different. Personally I am 30, and I played through FF7-FFXII, including Dirge of Cerberus and X-2 for the first time ever this year.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:59 AM   #11
handsome

Quote:
(...) and I played through FF7-FFXII, including Dirge of Cerberus and X-2 for the first time ever this year.
YOU! PLAY 6! NOW!

Here is a review of FF6 for the GBA\DS (with very few spoilers), i played it on SNES, what a game .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Review View Post
If you haven't played Final Fantasy 6.. Shame on you!
Old 12-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #12

Quote:
YOU! PLAY 6! NOW!
Here is a review of FF6 for the GBA\DS (with very few spoilers), i played it on SNES, what a game .
FF6 is planned to next summer. I already own the game on PSX. I definitely have a few games to play before I am "done" with the series. I would like to play FFXII Revenant Wings, the DS version of FF3 and Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 as well. Before that there are some other games and school that have higher priorities though.

Last edited by JemyM; 12-25-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:06 AM   #13
Sinister noir hoodlum

First things first, I count FFVI to FFIX amongst my favourite games of all time.

However this new trailer is very disappointing. FFX, FFX-2 and FFXII all used an almost identical art style, and this new game looks like it's going for the exact same feel again. Square Enix are becoming a bit predictable. I would like to see a lot more imagination put into upcoming installments!

Really, the problem I have at the moment is that I'm about 75 hours into FFXII and I still have no idea where it's going to end. The gameplay was initially fun but now it seems like a huge grind, and battles have become a chore. The story has been weak and having to journey for 5+ hours just to get to the next cut scene is painful. I think I may give up soon, which is a real shame as I've lost faith in one of my favourite developers. X-2 was also appalling.

I really, truly hope that with this next game Square Enix can develop a fantastic story and tie it to a game that doesn't grind you down with monotony.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #14
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorecki View Post
First things first, I count FFVI to FFIX amongst my favourite games of all time.

(...)

I really, truly hope that with this next game Square Enix can develop a fantastic story and tie it to a game that doesn't grind you down with monotony.
See .. what i dont get its that you (like JemyM) say that, but ... the story of IX sucked big time (even IGN.com says that).

Really .. only X-2 (never played XII) is worse. So predictable and ... well .. predictable is bad enough.

About Versus XIII:
Well .. the mysterious man really looks like Cloud.
Name:  tetsuyanomura1.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  24.4 KB

Last edited by TiAgUh; 12-26-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #15

Quote:
See .. what i dont get its that you (like JemyM) say that, but ... the story of IX sucked big time (even IGN.com says that).
What FFIX lacks in story, it makes up in emotions. And what you really remember about a game long after you forgot it's details, it's the emotions.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #16

Heh, I liked the story in FFIX, don't see what's bad about it. It's my second favourite FF story, FFVII being my favourite.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #17
handsome

New:

Versus XIII - in-game
Name:  ingame.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  35.1 KB Name:  ingame2.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  42.7 KB
Click to enlarge Pic1
Click to enlarge Pic2

XIII and Versus XIII - random In-game and CG montage

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  74.5 KB
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  59.4 KB
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  81.0 KB
Old 01-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorecki View Post

However this new trailer is very disappointing. FFX, FFX-2 and FFXII all used an almost identical art style, and this new game looks like it's going for the exact same feel again. Square Enix are becoming a bit predictable. I would like to see a lot more imagination put into upcoming installments!
THANK YOU! Now I know I'm not the only one.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:55 AM   #19
handsome

New FF XIII Gameplay - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM7g1aiS9C4

Why do we need a map for that stage?.. and the fighting looks a bit like X-2, no?
Old 04-16-2009, 06:01 AM   #20

My interest in Final Fantasy Versus XIII far exceeds my expectation for the main game. I also look forward to Final Fantasy Agato XIII on the PSP. Just a couple of days ago, I finished FFVII: Crisis Core on the PSP, and I absolutely loved the battlesystem as long as it required strategy to beat the enemy. Otherwise, it's very much just bashing the attack command.

I think FFXIII's battlesystem looks like an improved version of FFX's. I am looking forward to trying it out, but Versus XIII looks so much more interesting than XIII. Besides, I think I read somewhere that Versus XIII will actually be a much more traditional Final Fantasy than the main game. Hopefully, traditional means PS1 era.

Anyway, the biggest complaint about the latest FF games are that they seem to have lost the humour and self-consciousness, and now takes itself way too seriously.

BTW, do you think we'll see FFXIV this generation of consoles? We've always had three games in the main series per console, FFI-III, IV-VI. VII-IX, X-XII. That's not including spinoffs. Unfortunately, I think the time of development and cost of it have become too high for this tradition to keep up. We'll probably only have XIII and the numerous spinoffs. Maybe that's why they decided to make XIII a series of games.