You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General It's official! Marvel Vs Capcom 2 is coming to Xbox live/PSN this summer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII
Default It's official! Marvel Vs Capcom 2 is coming to Xbox live/PSN this summer!

Quoted from the capcom unity blogs as I am too lazy to rewrite it:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blo...s_mvc2_is_real

[I] 1. It’s based on the Dreamcast code base – While the PS2 and Xbox versions of MvC2 were great, there are a few niggling issues in them that have caused the competitive community to continue using the Dreamcast version of the game. We wanted to bring you the very best version of the game, so we listened to the community and started with the Dreamcast.

2. There is online – With the game being developed by Backbone, we are using largely the same, critically acclaimed net code that we used in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix and with that will come our player match quarter mode/lobby system that has proven so popular. Naturally leaderboards and some form of stats tracking (details to be provided at a later date) will also be in the mix. So on the net code side, you’re pretty much assured the best fighting game net code ever created for consoles.

3. HD upscaling options – Given that most people play Xbox 360s and PS3s on HD TVs, it’s important to help make the game look better. We’ve refined our real-time sprite filtering to use even more advanced techniques and we’re providing two upscaling options for the sprites… one we’ve termed “Crisp” the other we’ve termed “Smooth”. It’s a matter of personal preference for which one you’ll enjoy more. For purists, if you’d like you can use the “Classic” setting, which leaves the sprites completely unfiltered. Because the filtering is applied in real-time, you can change these settings on the fly, mid-match if you choose. Our producer will be showing you some comparison screenshots in the coming days to better clarify the differences. The backgrounds in MvC2 are all 3D, and when rendered at higher resolutions look fantastic. The original textures and assets from the Dreamcast were actually much higher quality than the Dreamcast could really display at the time and when shown in HD, the impact is really quite amazing.

4. Widescreen – Again, with most people playing on HD displays, we wanted to figure out how to implement widescreen support. To do so, the camera field of view was widened (which we’re able to do because of the 3D backgrounds effectively running off the “edges” of the 4:3 scenario) and there are a few camera tricks that minimize any impact on the gameplay. Play area is unchanged, and this is not a zoom and crop like HD Remix was. To put it simply, the gameplay area will be in a 4:3 field, while the viewing area will be widescreen. At the same time, for purists and competitive play, a 4:3 option (with vertical bars on the left and right) still exists.

5. No unlocking – While we love giving people unlockables in games, for this outing, there’s not a lot of surprises in terms of what characters are in the game. All 56 characters will be unlocked at the start for immediate play, again great for tournament play where players won’t need to mess with save game data or hacked versions (/shame).

6. Music Options – We love MvC2 but the original “jazzy” music has long been criticized even by ardent fans. Independent music volume controls and support of custom soundtracks on PS3 and 360 we deemed an important feature. Purists will still have what they love and fans of customization are also served.

And as an added bonus, some of you will get to play it sooner than you think. The US PlayStation network will have the demo available for download this week (Europe’s PSN should follow not far after). /I]

This is great news! I know the game is super broken but that doesn't mean it isn't still a great fun compelling fighting game...
Old 04-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #2

The filtered version of saturn and GBA based sprites , well meh for me, the sprites with filter do look ok but the actual art is too old and not so classic, so many games played with same sprite. Its basically what sega genesis collection did recently , it will cash in old fan of both comic books and capcom but seriously i personally wanted MvC on sf4 engine. Such things can be done in mugen. But i will do get demo , tommorow or day after.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
full of tricks

Well, I've already got this game on a couple of systems. Great fun, but I'm not tempted to buy this version, even with all those extra features.

Although I may change my mind if I get a decent joystick hehe
Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #4

Well I never had the game "officially" so will be buying this "upgrade" for the first time. The demo is out now hurray!

Last edited by MikeLXXXVIII; 04-30-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
handsome

I've always prefered the 1st one, less confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
Such things can be done in mugen.
but most of the characters are f*cked up and overpowered, kinda difficult to find a normal spiderman (just an example)..

EDIT: Heres a new (and lame ) trailer - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48720.html

Last edited by TiAgUh; 04-30-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
I've always prefered the 1st one, less confusion.

but most of the characters are f*cked up and overpowered, kinda difficult to find a normal spiderman (just an example)..

EDIT: Heres a new (and lame ) trailer - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48720.html
But man who says MvC2 is balanced? Not even Sf4 was balanced, crappy zangief, keep spinning and you will win online even you dont know crap about SF.
sagat, seth, zangief, akuma are way over powered.

But what i like about mugen is that (if you know how), can tweak the gameplay, i had my fav. fighters, many new sprites drawn by fans, much better than KoF original ones, and then i balanced gameplay.
Beauty of mugen is , you can optimize it as much as you want/can.

Anyways i heard demo is 2 player only and people hating it, download it today and post more impressions.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:58 AM   #7

I agree the first Marvel VS Capcom was more simplified and that was nice.

I tried yesterday the demo and its a bit too weak, in the sense you must have a friend to play it with (shouldn't be too hard to implent cpu or just not cutting it). You couldn't even invite a psn friend either to play with even if the option wasn't hidden. The sprites looked a bit blurry even without crisping them. Not too impressive from the quick play but I do prefer the cleaner look than what the xbox version had. The backgrounds were very crisp and clean which was nice but the sprites kinda looked off with the background.

I tried to mess around with Mugen once, but gave up since the tutorials I found was out of date and code hell.