You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Top Ten Scariest Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 06:43 AM   #1
handsome

Default Top Ten Scariest Games

From GameTrailers:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/14536.html

I never played Darkseed .. is it really scary??
Ive played:
Clocktower - not scary at all imo, but cool game.
Alien vs Predator - Yup! pretty scary back in the days..
Resident Evil - Never played the Remake, but ive played the 2nd and 4th. RE games never scared me at all.
Silent Hill - also played the 2nd and 3rd .. kinda scary a few times but 1st place?? meh ..
Id love to try Eternal Darkness

So...what do you think about the Top10 ?

Last edited by TiAgUh; 07-14-2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
Master of time and space

I've only played System Shock 2 and DOOM 3 and of the two I thing SS2 was scarier.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Headbanger

I haven't played through a single game on that list (but I've tried a few). Some seem really good and others don't seem to fit that list at all. Silent Hill is a worthy winner though. Eternal Darkness, what is that?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Eternal Darkness, what is that?
well.. this might give you a bit of info about it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3etBeNEhks
Old 07-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
A Servicable Villain

I certainly agree with Silent Hill's high ranking. Little games so emotionally disturbing as that series. Sometimes, scary isn't about the monsters, though SH has plenty of those as well.

Also, one part of Lands of Lore 2 always scared the shit out of me. The original Diablo I thought was pretty scary at the time. System Shock 2, obviously, and Resident Evil.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
handsome

Diablo I ? are you serious ??
Old 07-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
DAVE

I found it to be particularly scary, more in the city at the beginning, with the stories the characters told you and such, but I was a kid then, so. If you really like scary games System Shock 2 is your game. I was pretty jumpy through the whole of Doom 3 as well.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #8

hmm played them all but why wasn't Alone in the dark in the list? I mean back then It was really scarry.

Remember: "You can pick your Friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose."
Old 07-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #9

As with any of these lists, this one is severly lacking. 'Realms of the hauting', 'Dark Fall', 'Scratches',...
Old 07-15-2007, 12:45 AM   #10
A Servicable Villain

I think it's a fine list nonetheless. And yes, Diablo 1 was very scary, though more in a 'terrifying creepiness' way. I was young back then too (11 years ago?), and the atmosphere was so strong and unrelenting... no surprise many got spooked, especially with the jittery critters in the first few levels; those facehugger El Chupacabras.

I've got Darkseed 2, and it's scary in its own annoying, clumsily portrayed way. I guess it's lost a lot of its flair since it came out.

I really wanna play Silent Hill 1 by the way, but unless there's a rerelease on newer consoles, it's unlikely to happen.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:30 AM   #11

(What an annoying voiceover!)

I've never played any of the games listed, though I have played at Darkseed a bit and intend to play it seriously one day. It was certainly talked up really big when it came out. The only general complaint I remember was that it's too short -- the Giger graphics took up too much disk space to allow for a long game.

I remember a When Games Attack review of Final Frame 2. Dominik Diamond said it was THE scariest thing he had ever played, hands down. I seem to remember a comment that it's hard to play any game with your hands over your eyes half the time.

That top-ten list seemed to mix up shock (Alien vs Predator) and horror. Being made to jump isn't the same thing as fear, in my opinion. But to each his own.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
That top-ten list seemed to mix up shock (Alien vs Predator) and horror. Being made to jump isn't the same thing as fear, in my opinion. But to each his own.
I couldn't agree more. I always prefer horror over shock, to bad that most films only have the former these days.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #13

I think what you have to realise is that many of these were scary at the time. I agree with Silent Hill 1 at 1st. I own all, and have played most a fair few times through. I recently rebought SH1 and started playing and immediately found it just as scary as it was originally.

As the video says, the game is somewhat scarier because of the lack of the PSX 's capabilities. Whilst I think they were mainly on about the graphics, where you could barely see anything, I'm more concerned with the controls. The controls are quite jerky, and maneuvering around the town and especially during around monsters can be quite difficult. When close to a great number of monsters, things get intense.

A flaw but never the less makes things scary.

As graphics increase, the SH games become less scary. I've seen two screenshots from SH5 and because you can see all the way to the other end of the corridor, the game loses the clustraphobic affect. The should go back to everything being almost completely pitch black where the light doesn't shine.

As for Resident Evil remake, I think it's a lot more effective if you've never played the original. Whilst they do make a few spins from the original, new monsters and scenarios, I just knew a lot what to expect. That being said, the corridor with the mirror aimed at you, seeing a zombie silently coming into view within the mirror did one hell of a fright for me.

Scariest moment I've had. Silent Hill 2, having to put EVERY item in a box in order to go in an elevator. Knowing something was lurking up there waiting for me. Only thing was, I don't think anything was up there waiting for me.

I always wanted to play Clock Tower. But if I played it now it probably wouldn't have the same effect. I played the third but the storyline was real cheesy.

Too me a great horror would be one without weapons. Just running the heck away. It's the only way to feel most unsafe. Resident Evil and to a certain extent Silent Hill never feel that scary when you're holding a shotgun or bazooker or whatever.

Quote:
I think what they were getting at with AVP was that knowing that you can't always tell where they are coming from, the fear is in the tension and the paranoia that something is always behind you. I've never played, and I doubt it'll have an effect now, but when released over 10 years ago it must have been quite something.

We all boast how un-scary The Exorsist is. And yet you always see it in the top five (I think it's Empire that has it in 1st). Worth thinking about with games too.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:49 AM   #14

A scary games list is always subjective as everyone has a different opinion.

The Phantasmagoria series had some scares , the first one is a bit more creepy but the 2nd one is all about the gore.

Harvester relies on gore and the story which is kind of disturbing - sort of like a social commentary on violent games.

The Parasite Eve series is similiar to Resident evil. There's Siren , the thing.

Obscure has a few scares as well , Michigan (although hampered by the gameplay) does have some cool moments with the strange monsters you encounter in the mist.
Haunting ground isn't truly scary but it shares some similiaries with clock tower in getting chase by a maniac , run run run , hide hide hide.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:54 AM   #15
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Scariest moment I've had. Silent Hill 2, having to put EVERY item in a box in order to go in an elevator. Knowing something was lurking up there waiting for me. Only thing was, I don't think anything was up there waiting for me.
I remember that
Quote:
I always wanted to play Clock Tower. But if I played it now it probably wouldn't have the same effect. I played the third but the storyline was real cheesy.
The 1st one is nice, the 2nd is awful and the 3rd is the best of all 3. And yes, I was expecting a much better story.
Quote:
I think what they were getting at with AVP was that knowing that you can't always tell where they are coming from, the fear is in the tension and the paranoia that something is always behind you. I've never played, and I doubt it'll have an effect now, but when released over 10 years ago it must have been quite something.
You're right my friend! I played it back in the days and no game ever scared me or made me jump like AVP.
___

(IMO) Silent Hill games are overrated .. only the 2nd one was great..
The 3rd one was only cool when:
Spoiler:
Heather finds her father dead and few minutes later we're fighting the monster who did it. Revenge is Sweet !!!
Old 07-16-2007, 02:12 AM   #16

Quote:
I think what they were getting at with AVP was that knowing that you can't always tell where they are coming from, the fear is in the tension and the paranoia that something is always behind you.
I fully agree. There can be huge amounts of tension, and it can be exciting and entertaining, and it is a sort of fear. I'm just saying it's not what I myself would call by the name of "scary" or "horror".

I've recently run across a good pair of definitions in the AD&D rules for the Ravenloft (gothic horror) setting, where the two are carefullly distinguished:
"Fear is the reaction to an immediate physical threat... Horror is a revulsion or mental anguish upon encountering horrid secrets, gruesome scenes, or dread-filled obstacles."

So under these definitions, fear is the tension you feel when moving through the alien-infested ship, or the reflex jump that happens when the face-hugger leaps out of nowhere and grabs you. Horror comes more gradually as you realise the aliens have killed everyone aboard, or learn that the face-hugger has laid eggs inside your body.

I suspect that the Alien vs Predator game is long on fear and short on horror. For my own tastes, I prefer the other way round.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:17 AM   #17

I think the scariest game I've ever actually played was Harvest of Souls (Shivers 2). Investigating the empty town was nervous-making, and then the dawning realisation that somebody is watching you, creeping round behind your back... brrr! Especially when you play in the dark.

The single scariest moment, though, has to be when Curtis gets slapped by the invisible force in Phantasmagoria 2. A "make-you-jump" WAHHH! moment, mixed with deepening terror as you try to figure out what happened, and realise it had to be real because he's physically injured. The high point of the whole game.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:17 AM   #18
Master of time and space

The only game so far (haven't played that many to be honest) that have made me take breaks and go out into the sun and recuperate from all the horror has been Silent Hill 2. This is also the only Silent Hill game that I've played (but I own no 3 and 4 as well, but haven't gotten around to playing them.).
Old 07-16-2007, 03:24 AM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

10. Clocktower
Never played.

9. System Shock II
Genious. Very creepy and the plot was great. One of the first games to evoke my negative emotions in a good way.

8. Eternal Darkness
Never played. Bought it and will play it later.

7. Darkseed
Was creepy 1992 but not scary. Nothing for a modern player. The sequel Darkseed II was not any better.

6. Doom 3
Had it's scary movements which the video does not give justice. I remember the creepy voices of a young girl, and the level in which you move back and forth between Mars and the "hell" version (might have been in the expansion pack though).

5. Suffering
Cool game. Lots of creepy moments and mess up your head. One of the few games that recently managed to scare me more than once. The sequel (Ties that Bind) was not as good as the first one and messed up the plot.

4. Alien vs Predator
Jaguar version? I was scared by Alien VS Predator II for PC, but thats mostly due to my primal fear of everything with eight legs.

3. Resident Evil (Remake)
Screw the rest. The remake is a legendary game, only matched by Resident Evil Zero and maybe Code Veronica X. I was sceptic but the remake IS really good and it still is. Forget RE4 (overrated) and the original RE on PS, the remake should be the first game you play, if the only. It's also the best looking of the series.

2. Fatal Frame / Project Zero
I have started to play the first game and theese might just be the most creepiest games ever made.

1. Silent Hill 1
Ah. Pure genious. Silent Hill is a game that still manages to be extremely creepy and scary despite the aging graphics. Silent Hill 2 left you uneased and sick for a few days but wasnt as scary as the first. Silent Hill 3 had one really creepy scene but not that creepy otherwise. Silent Hill 4 had some creepiness but didnt grasp me as the first two.

Other horrorgames:
Condemned: Criminal Origins
I have adult male friends who couldnt handle finish this game. Even I as a horror veteran felt that some levels was painful to go through due to the creepy surroundings and brutal scares. I honestly believe that Condemned share the #1 spot.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Manges to be both scary and creepy. The insanity system is genious.

F.E.A.R
Not the scariest in the list at all, although still more scary than for example Darkseed. The expansion is only for them who enjoyed the first game. It's a lesser experience than the first game so if you did not enjoy the first, skip the expansion.

I have no mouth and I must scream
Maybe more controversial than scary. It's still a horror game though, dealing with some of the darker emotions within humans.

Painkiller
Not really a horror game, but I remember that the asylum level was quite creepy.

Cold Fear
"Resident Evil on a boat". Quite short and questionably long distance between saves. Flawed game but still worth to play for a horror fan. Contains one of the most unpleasent monsters I encountered.

Sanitarium
More disturbed and creepy than scary. Quite an interesting tale for an adventuregame.

The Thing
Quite an unique twist, placing the horror in a very cold place, where you also have to face the weather/cold. Quite decent.

Scratches
Scratches was a scary game although there might only have been about 3 strong scares, they were enough for me to remember it.

Clive Barker's Undying
The mansion in the beginning is quite creepy even if the game drops a bit later on.

Barrow Hill
Was quite creepy up to the point in which you realise the truth.

Phantasmagoria
More gory than scary IMO.

Prey
Not scary through and through, but there is one specific scene involving a schoolbus...

Elvira & WaxWorks
Also more gory than scary.

Vampire Bloodlines
Not scary through and through, but I remember getting scared more than once in the haunted hotel.

Alone in the Dark
While the first three are a bit outdated now, the fourth (A New Nightmare) had quite a few scares that took me by surprise. Good story too.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:57 AM   #20
handsome

Am I the only one that played Forbidden Siren? The game had a great back story, graphics and overbearing creepiness, also the inclusion of 'Sightjacking' is a stroke of genius. But the gameplay was awful which makes it boring to play. A waste of potential imo...

I heard the 2nd one fixed the gameplay problems, anyone played it?
Heres the trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rhkl1iY7Wg