You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Top Ten Scariest Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #41
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Looks like a scary Onimusha
Whats good and bad about the game?

Good:

It's creepy
Dual lauguage track with subtitle option
Using magic scrolls to fight with... it's something different
Solid 60fps... something you don't get very often on a PS2
2 playable characters
Blood... lots of blood...
Meditating to calm you character and regain health is kind of a cool option
If found can be picked up pretty cheap

Bad:

Melee fighting is kinda sluggish, swing you weapon. Sorry, no combo moves here.
Controls are a little "floaty"
After you play both characters, that's it. No replay value.
The 'unlockable' feature after beating the game is kinda lame
Not an overly long adventure
Old 07-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #42
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endosanity View Post
(...) Kinda like Siren... (...)
Scary and a good story ?
Old 07-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #43
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Scary and a good story ?

Well, not much can beat the raining blood, zombies, and the blaring siren of Siren but Kuon does okay with it's "Find the missing person in a creepy setting" type story.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:04 AM   #44

I just remembered what the scariest moment in a game was for me.

I don't know if anyone here has played the Playstation game 'Galarians'?

It's about a boy who's used as a test subject for drugs to control psychosis and telepathy. He is able to break free and he tries to find out who he is.

The first disc was escaping from a lab, the second the boy goes to a mansion where he used to live with his parents (which had some scary moments) and the fourth disc he took on the company that created what he is.

However, it was the third disc that got me. You were in this hotel with all these other people. Three other enemy telepathists enter the place to find and kill you. Slowly, as you revisit places in the hotel, people get gruesomely killed one by one. The atmosphere and the horror, knowing everyone in the place was going to die, questioning 'when' really got to me. Then there were these scary rooms where you fought the three enemies.

Chances are very few people have played this. But it was definitely a moment for me.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:10 AM   #45

To be honest, I think the game that scared of horrorfied me the most wasn't one you could pick up at retail.
It's the very popular fan adventure Trilby's Notes. It's the first and only game so far which I had to stop playing because it was too much for me. I really had to convince myself that it is only a game, and that with those pixel graphics!
Gore alone isn't scary at all. But I guess it was those creepy background noises and the feeling that every moment something bad could happen to you. And it did sometimes, but not in the way you expected it.
The prince never confronted you suprisingly.
I don't think that I would be quite as scared on the second playthrough, but it was very horrifying, especially before you had these pills...

The fourth Alone in the Dark was scary at some points, especially when a monster came and went away with the lightning. Man, I jumped out of the seat!!

And, when I was younger, I guess when I was 11, I was really scared while playing through the first region in KQVIII. It was also mainly the ambience music which gave you the feeling that in every moment something could happen to you.
When I played through it again, 5 years later, I didn't thought it was scary.

Oh, I nearly forgot it. Shadows of the Comet was scary, but not extremely. It made you a bit uneasy. The most horrifying thing about it were the unnecessary dead ends, though. Made an otherwise excellent game not so excellent.

Azrael's Tear is not exactly scary, but it has a very lonesome, sad atmosphere.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:43 AM   #46
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I found Condemend: Criminal Origins to be very creepy. For instance, one of the worst parts was the school locker room; coming back and finding the principal gone, then hearing the background noise. This referenced part was just one of many creepy parts, in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:59 AM   #47
kamikaze hummingbirds

i liked Shadow Of The Comet, in spite of the dodgy controls.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #48
Lost.

I have a lote/hate relationship with the Fatal Frame games. I love them because they're so creepy, but I can't play them alone because--like I said--they scare the fuck out of me. They're great.

One of my favorite scary moments was the beginning of Fatal Frame 2 when you're walking in the house and all of a sudden you hear a heart thumping BA-DUM, your controller shakes, and a ghost girl walks by into a corridor while whispering something. Too bad I don't have that game anymore.

Fatal Frame 3 is also pretty damn scary. The scariest place in the game to me is the "Real world" house you wake up in. It's suppose to be a safe place where there's no ghosts trying to kill you but that's why it's so damn creepy. Because occasionally you will hear and encounter some pretty disturbing stuff just when you think you're safe. And it's pretty damn annoying because your roomie will always talk about the rain ("It's raining again... it's raining again...") and not much else, it's always night and it's ALWAYS raining! And you can't leave your house. XD ANd that freaking doll's hair will keep growing throughout the game for no reason.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #49
handsome

Resident Evil 5 - Extended Trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22800.html

Looks like the 4th one (in terms of gameplay), which is not a bad thing... but imo it seams the "scary" part wont be there again.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #50

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Only RE0 and the Remake for GameCube was scary IMO. RE4 was the least scary one and decent until you reached the castle, then it lost the grip on itself.

Fatal Frame is very spooky in a way that makes it difficult to play it. Condemned is also brutal in that regard.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #51
handsome

RE games never were scary except the 2nd when it was released. RE4 wasnt a "scary game" at all.
I need to play Condemned then
Old 07-28-2007, 02:43 AM   #52

For me its Project Zero on ps2 [I think it was called something else in other countries] it was so scary I couldnt finish it, I loved it but man I was scaried playing it.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:52 AM   #53
handsome

I played one for ps2 called " Extermination " (A fusion between RE and The Thing) (my 1st game for ps2, ahhh the memories ) .. just a bit scary, made me jump sometimes.