You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Worst game names ever?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 03:46 AM   #21
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
You've played it? Then tell me, what is a Dragon Ninja?
Everythnig you ever wanted to know about Dragon Ninjas but were not too afraid to ask.

I'd have to nominate "Wizard's Pet" which was a platformer on the C64 with such an unforgiving control system I never completed the first level.

Also "Darkstar" (another C64 game) which had you flying down a crack in a hostile super planet (for which read black area of screen between two grey areas of screen) whilst being attacked by various ships and turrets (read differnetly coloured blobs) Not forgetting it's best feature. Ocassionally the path split. If you chose the wrong direction at the split, you hit a wall and died (no option to turn round) I've heard that the "map" stayed the same (so you could learn it through repeated plays) but I had better things to do with my time.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 07-14-2007, 05:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
Ah , tongue of the fatman , i remember i used to play that. It's a fighting game , do you really need a manual for that ?
I'm sorting through a pile of stuff that is, or claims to be, abandonware. And, completist that I am, I'm trying to find a box shot and manual for each one. Apparently there isn't a manual for Fatman, anyway.

Still, the search was worth it, since it led to that website. "Princess Tomato in Salad Kingdom" sounds so bad I want to try it.

Actually, "Zeitgeist" and "Huygen's Disclosure" are titles that I find strangely appealing. Maybe it's the intellectualistic pseud in me.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:40 AM   #23
A Servicable Villain

Hey wait, I just remembered a really strange name of a quite recent game. It's actually in stores now. I assume it's some sort of Eastern European game. It's called "YOU ARE EMPTY" and it's a shooter. The cover shows two skeletons dressed in Russian cold war gear (big fluffy hats and coats), with Soviet banners and all in black, white and red.

I just find it completely awesome that there's a game called You Are Empty, which may or may not refer to their gun.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #24
The Solomon of Sarcasm

I came in here to see if "Divine Divinity" was on the list, and unsurprisingly, yes it is. What's worse is its sequel, which didn't make the list. "Divine Divinity 2: Beyond Divine Divinity." Ooookay then.

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 07-18-2007, 07:01 AM   #25
Vigilant

I am pretty sure that they just called it Beyond Divinity and left the prefix series title out of it. If not, then yes, that would be a pretty bad title.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #26
is not wierd

I'm also pretty sure it's just Beyond Divinity. In the states, anyways. I actually don't find "Divine Divinity" that bad. Redundant, obviously, but it has a nice ring to it.

It's not awful on every level like most of what's on the list, but I think a lot of the names coming for DS games where they actually incorporate the acronym "D.S." into their title are pretty lame. Advance Wars "Dual Strike," Resident Evil "Deadly Silence," Castlevania "Dawn of Sorrow," etc.

Also, "Touch the Dead" is not something I want to do.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #27
Revolution obsessive

Revenge Joe’s Brother is a classic! This site also pokes fun at it.

http://www.flyingomelette.com/oddities/oddities11.html

But if the helicopter is called ‘Revenge’ than surely the title should be “Revenge, Joe’s brother.” I remember watching a friend play the game years ago, but I never quite understood the storyline…

And I think that all Restaurants have an aura of panic about them!

Thanks for the link, it’s totally rad!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:17 AM   #28
Freeware Co-ordinator

Having realised we're talking about NAMES not the games themselves (sorry about that ) I've raided the C64 game archives here for some classics.
  • Aaargh! Condor (a game screaming out for a sequel called "Yikes! Eagle)
  • Apple Cider Spider (Beer Spider was considered but they didn't think it would sell)
  • Astonishing Adventures of Mr. Weems and the She Vampires (sounds like a film you find in the restricted section)
  • The Attack of the Phantom Karate Devils (Because if they were only Phantom, Karate, or Devils they wouldn't be as scary)
  • Better Dead Than Alien! (Promoting intergalactic harmony for generations)
  • Bionic Granny (Don't know is she cost six million dollars)
  • Booga-Boo the Flea (Because why should spiders have all the fun?)
  • Call Me Psycho (Then don't turn your back on me)
  • Captain America in: The Doom Tube of Dr. Megalomann (winner of the most imaginatively named villain award)
  • Crush, Crumble & Chomp (I actually had this one. Build your own movie monster and then terrorise the town)
And that's just a brief review of the first 3 letters of the alphabet. A lot of weird stuff was produced for that machine.

Cold Topic

Old 07-19-2007, 01:30 AM   #29

I thought "Crush, Crumble, and Chomp" was a board game. Maybe it was adapted.

"Bionic Granny" sounds cool. Sort of. Reminds me of the episode of Banzai where they had a stairlift race between two old ladies. Come on, Betty! Go, Mabel! Ooh, Betty's catching Mabel at the turn...

But no-one, EVER, is going to top "Aargh! Condor". As you suggest, it could be the first of a series. "Yikes! Eagle"... "Cripes! Buzzard"... "Oh my God! Cockatoo"...
Old 07-19-2007, 01:34 AM   #30
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
I thought "Crush, Crumble, and Chomp" was a board game. Maybe it was adapted.
Possibly. As I recall the game play was very square-based (even though it all happened in real-time) so I could see it working as a board game.

Cold Topic

Old 07-19-2007, 01:40 AM   #31
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Quote:
I am pretty sure that they just called it Beyond Divinity and left the prefix series title out of it. If not, then yes, that would be a pretty bad title.
Well, I'll be. Just looked it up and you're right. I read an article a while back about poorly-named sequels and that was listed there; guess the author was wrong.

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 07-19-2007, 02:27 AM   #32
Dungeon Master

I kinda like Wargasm (as far as puns go, it's pretty funny) and Zeitgeist (but not the other "intellectual" one, because they spelled "Huygens'" wrong ). The rest of them deserve being on that list.

The "best" addition I can think of is Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates. Can you imagine asking about Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates at the store without blushing?

As a side note, I guess we're being a bit unfair in judging titles without seeing the games. For example, Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich sounds cheesy if you don't know what the game is about, but if you know - it's pretty damn perfect.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
The "best" addition I can think of is Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates. Can you imagine asking about Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates at the store without blushing?
Yeesh. I thought it was bad enough asking at Boots for a nasal balm called Happinose.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:04 PM   #34
Thats the ticket

Pokemon
Old 07-29-2007, 03:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemelChelovek View Post
I came in here to see if "Divine Divinity" was on the list, and unsurprisingly, yes it is. What's worse is its sequel, which didn't make the list. "Divine Divinity 2: Beyond Divine Divinity." Ooookay then.
That game was actually going to be originally called "Riftrunner." But, that was dropped b/c Divine Divinity was a cult classic. So, they changed it to include the word "Divinity"; hence it called Beyond Divinity.

Beyond Divinity -- it's on a slightly modified version of the original Divinity engine and doesn't deal too much w/ the story of the original; so, it's not a true sequel.

Divine Divinity 2 is in the works by Larian, currently. And, it's being made on a completely 3D engine.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #36

On gamespot I saw an upcoming game called "Bastard Online". I think it's about trolling forums.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:52 PM   #37
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Vinyl Goddess from Mars was a really trashy platform game featuring a scantily-clad heroine. The name sounds stupid, and the game was annoying.

To be honest, though, I'd like to plump for Final Fantasy X-2 for the most stupid game name of all time, because the "Final" bit is so obviously a lie.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Vinyl Goddess from Mars was a really trashy platform game featuring a scantily-clad heroine. The name sounds stupid, and the game was annoying.
That title alone could well be a sequel to the leather goddesses of phobos series.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #39
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Quote:
To be honest, though, I'd like to plump for Final Fantasy X-2 for the most stupid game name of all time, because the "Final" bit is so obviously a lie.
I try to explain why I hate that title so god damn much to people who like that series and they honestly can't see the problem with it. "What's wrong with 10 2? It's the sequel to 10." "Shouldn't that be '11' then?" "But every Final Fantasy sequel has nothing to do with the one before it, so they had to call it 10 2." "No, they didn't. That's ridiculous."

10 2. No god damn sense.

--Kevin Wilson
Old 08-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #40
Psychonaut

According to GAMEStm magazine there is a game called "Operation: Pedopriest" which is just soooo wrong. (As is the gameplay *Shudder*)