You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General So let's talk PC strategy games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #21
Kung Fu Code Poet

Seen many sunrises due to that game, so yep it does hook you... well it did me anyway. And it's free.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:40 AM   #22

I was going to suggest Dungeon Keeper, but it seemed too simple compared with the high-powered titles being slung around here.

Yes, if you like the lighter side of strategy (with plenty of humour), definitely go for Dungeon Keeper. After all, somebody's got to create all those monster-packed dungeons for explorers to find and get killed in, right?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:00 AM   #23
Kung Fu Code Poet

Hah, my suggestion is hardly a high powered title. :-)
Old 07-07-2007, 07:17 AM   #24
Squeaky

Homeworld for sure.

And I've just finished the Company of Heroes (from the same developer, Relic) - best RTS I've played in years.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #25
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow View Post
Homeworld for sure.

And I've just finished the Company of Heroes (from the same developer, Relic) - best RTS I've played in years.
Hey! Who let that guy in here?

Welcome back.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #26
In an evening of July...

How about Soldiers - Heroes of WWII - the most realistic WWII combat simulation. Great game, it is hard though, very, very hard.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:19 AM   #27
Squeaky

More importantly, how do I get back out?

Hey, Mel. Good to see you again.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:42 AM   #28

the first two settlers, were really good.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:01 AM   #29

Wow, I bet this thread only confused the thread starter more and makes it even more difficult where to start, as we've already suggested about 30 different games.

First, if you want to be introduced to a new genre, don't just start with the biggest classics of all time (such as Starcraft), as their dated graphics might initially scare you away.

Instead, start with a fairly recent, accessible classic, such as Warcraft 3. The graphics are still very good, the game is accessible and easy to learn, and it's one of the best strategy games ever made. If you're looking for more laid-back, turn-based action, Civilization 4 is probably your game of choice.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:24 AM   #30
is not wierd

Starcraft isn't any more dated than what I'm used to. Age of Empires II and Advance Wars are what got me started on this whole thing, and I'm a big lover of Fallout, obviously.

I picked up Rise of Nations at a Gamestop for $2.50(!) and have also played the demos/tutorials/bits&pieces from Rome: Total War, Civilization IV, Sid Meier's Pirates! (and they all run surprisingly well on the Macbook under boot camp). Consequently decided they're all worth picking up.

I've been devoting most of my time to Age of Mythology, started the campaign. Seems a bit more complex than AoEII.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:17 AM   #31
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
And after that, to break the spell of repetition: (...) Commandos - Behind Enemy Lines.
...and if you take a liking to its gameplay style, follow it with the mission pack Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty and the sequel Commandos 2: Men of Courage, but don't bother with the remaining games in the series - play surprisingly amazing clones Desperados and Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacog View Post
Heroes of Might and Magic games are fun too. Turn based and very different to any of the abovenentioned.
I second the love for Heroes, especially for #3.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #32
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
but don't bother with the remaining games in the series - play surprisingly amazing clones Desperados and Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood instead.
"So this is what it's like - when doves cry."

Sorry I just get emotional when someone else thinks Desperadoes and Robin Hood are awesome games.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:49 PM   #33

I was in a similar position as you. I've only played the three Advance Wars for the GBA and DS but I've purchase quite a bit and here are my top 5 so far (in no particular order) and I just want to note: I play all my PC games on a laptop and no souped up system.

* Command and Conquer: Purchase the decade box set and the Timberium Wars...AWESOME!

* Rise of Heroes and Rise of Legends - You can find ROH for $9 (it was recently for $4.99 for the Gamestop, EB, Software Etc. Gameday sales).

* Age of Mythology - I have Age of Empires 1 and 2, haven't played the third but I love AoM.

* Total War - Buy the box set! It's worth it!

* Company of Heroes - Wow! What an awesome game and it went down in price to $29 recently. The first level just wowed me! I can only imagine how this level would look if I could put settings to high....but for now have to be play at low.

Other games I have but have not played Warhammer 40,000 (gold box set was on sale at Target for like $9), Star Wars Empire at War, Civilization Box Set.

kndy