You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Not being able to buy certain games from America

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2007, 05:55 AM   #1

Default Not being able to buy certain games from America

Why is it that when I see a game that I would love to play I can't buy it because it is not sold to Europe? Or why do they change the names? Is it just to confuse us or what? I spent years trying to find this really cool game only to find I'd already played it!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
Puts the 'e' in Mark

This is very annoying indeed. Given the rarity of true global releases for adventure games (same date, same game title, etc.) the only thing that might help here is digital distribution, where a game can be released and sold truly internationally.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Can it really? My impression was that most online stores only sell to certain countries.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Can it really? My impression was that most online stores only sell to certain countries.
Online stores that sell physical copies may have restrictions, but for downloading a purchased game, the restrictions are much fewer, if any.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:12 AM   #5

I don't want to have to download a game. I like going into a store and buying my game on a whim and then putting it in and downloading it. Plus if anything goes wrong the store is usually very good at replacements. But if a problem occured whilest downloading, would the same apply? I was told by one store that it is down to the distributor and the gaming licence people to decide what gets sold to which countries and not the stores. Online or not. So much for global distribution.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:28 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
But if a problem occured whilest downloading, would the same apply?
Here in the US, I would probably feel more comfortable about contacting the support team associated with a download if something went wrong than going back to a store to return a boxed game. The return/exchange policies for PC games (and music and movies for that matter) are extremely strict here due to piracy concerns.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Here in the US, I would probably feel more comfortable about contacting the support team associated with a download if something went wrong than going back to a store to return a boxed game. The return/exchange policies for PC games (and music and movies for that matter) are extremely strict here due to piracy concerns.
But, in the US, consumers still have rights when it comes to games that have something wrong with them, including pc games, I hope. I mean, if the game sold has flaw in it which means that it can't be installed etc. on someone's machine, then clearly the consumer has (legal) right to an exchange of the faulty product??

As for US games, not being sol to Europe. I have had no problem getting amazon.com shipping games from US to Denmark, Europe. [Other than having to pay 25% sales tax and customs which is another 25-50% of the game's sale's price, I haven't had any problems at all]. But for some countries in Europe, there may bre restrictions, I'd think. (don't know why, really ).

I would also recommend contacting the support team for the game or try to find to game's website and get (official) support that way.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:43 AM   #8

Amazon is a pretty good source to go to for new games. Your local Amazon is likely to be able to tap into the network and get what you want. And eBay is another source worth looking into.

Google has the option to search exclusively within your own country. It can be worthwhile doing a search for the game name with this option on -- you might find somewhere local that sells it, or at least can get it. If not, do a search worldwide and find a seller who will ship.

If you know anyone living in the States, you can always ask them a favour!