You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Speedball 2 is back

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default Speedball 2 is back

Some guys (Frogster Interactive & Kylotonn Entertainment) are making a new game to the Speedball franchise that was awesome on Commodore Amiga almost 20 years ago (wow, has it really been that long... )

I read that they've been working on the game since 2002 and this year finally it's up for release in Q3 2007. They've been working closely with the original The Bitmap Brothers on making the game, I didn't even know that The Bitmap Brothers still existed. I also heard that in addition to owning the Speedball license, they now own also The Chaos Engine license, another classic Amiga game.

I just watched a little teaser cinematic from GameTrailers.

I also found out that there's a preview at EuroGamers with some actual gameplay pics, more pics can be found at SpeedballHQ.

Weird that they are remaking Speedball 2, it was an excellent game, but wouldn't it be more logical to just call it Speedball 3?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 04-27-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:57 PM   #2

There's already a Speedball 3, it was called Speedball 2100 and was released for the Playstation. It was also crap. Calling it Speedball 2 indicates they're trying to stay true to the original.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:22 AM   #3
Psychonaut

As much as I loved Speedball 2 i'm not sure about this. The video is cool, especially the little retro "Icecream" shout at the end.

what puts me off is the PC only thing (Surely this would light up X-box Live as a Live Arcade game) and the suggestion of micropayments (to upgrade players, more arenas), monthly subsription (to play online in Gold Arena) and the ingame advertising.