You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Mac Vs. PC (re: Games!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #21
Super Moderator

Ask yourselves before you post if your post will specifically address the issue of adventure games on the Mac or PC. If it doesn't, then don't post so we can keep this from becoming a general Mac/PC thread.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #22
eXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikatana_ View Post
If you really want to play just games, go for PC or some console. Usually, if some software is for MAC, it is for PC also. But not the other way around. And the good thing about PCs is that you can upgrade whatever part you want. Need better CPU, just buy new one and replace it or video card or sound card, anything... PC is like a LEGO, you just put some parts together to make the whole thing, you can't even make any mistake.
YAY!! COMMON SENSE!!!! LISTEN TO THIS GUY!
Old 02-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Ask yourselves before you post if your post will specifically address the issue of adventure games on the Mac or PC. If it doesn't, then don't post so we can keep this from becoming a general Mac/PC thread.

Well, if someone wants to know something about this issue, it is not a bad thing to state all pros and cons, even if it's not exactly about adventure games...

Running Slackware Linux
Old 02-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #24
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXo View Post
YAY!! COMMON SENSE!!!! LISTEN TO THIS GUY!
You've already made pretty clear that you're a Windows fanboy. No need to keep posting in this particular thread.

In summation of this thread, if you want gaming, go PC. If you want ease and don't care about price, go Mac. Either way you'll probably end up spending a lot, because gaming PCs are just as hard on the wallet, if not more so, as Macs.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #25
Super Moderator

If he searches the forums, there are plenty of wars threads that have discussed the general pros and cons of Macs.

Here
Here
Here
Here

As I was searching I found some threads on Mac gaming:

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...t%3B%26quot%3B
http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...t%3B%26quot%3B

I think if and when he's ready to make a purchase, he'll look up the info about everything else or perhaps ask a more general question later. For the time being and to avoid contention, I want to stick to his specific question. End of debate.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #26
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikatana_ View Post
Well, if someone wants to know something about this issue, it is not a bad thing to state all pros and cons, even if it's not exactly about adventure games...
There's more to apples than imacs and power books. They make desktop computers too... that, you know... open with design award winning ease, for you to.. oh I don't know, upgrade components...

I wouldn't recommend a mac to a devout gamer just yet, theres lots to enjoy about macs but any gamer would be on a strict diet of big name titles a year (at least) after their release for the PC for the forseable future. If they wanted to run them natively under os x that is. Dualbooting (not my preference) has already been discussed earlier in this and other threads.

I suspect if macs ever did become a real contender for native 0-day game releases a lot of the negative speel slung by misinformed pc gamers would evaporate simply because there's no longer a need to deride the competition in order to feel better about what we're presently stuck with.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:41 AM   #27

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Reference: Mobygames
2006, Mac: 41 titles, Win: 497 titles, Linux: 14 titles
2005, Mac: 53 titles, Win: 602 titles, Linux: 16 titles
2004, Mac: 63 titles, Win: 763 titles, Linux: 18 titles
2003, Mac: 61 titles, Win: 817 titles, Linux: 25 titles
2002, Mac: 47 titles, Win: 702 titles, Linux: 12 titles
2001, Mac: 47 titles, Win: 660 titles, Linux: 13 titles
2000, Mac: 41 titles, Win: 625 titles, Linux: 11 titles

Any questions?
Old 02-18-2007, 02:05 AM   #28
Master of time and space

My general opinion is that you buy a Mac if you're going to use it to create graphics, designs, layouts, music and other more media related stuff. If not then go with a PC with Windows (if you want to play games or work) or Linux (if you only want to work).
Old 02-18-2007, 08:38 AM   #29
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
I have a rapidly aging PC that I'm wanting to replace some time in the near future. My first computer experiances wear on Mac's and enjoyed them very much but moved away from them because I couldn't find the software I wanted for them especially games. Is this still the case with Mac's? Do many games particularly adventure games have Mac versons and if so wear can you find them?

Thanks for all the help guys.
As others have said, new Intel-powered Macs have dual-boot capabilities and can run Windows for playing most Windows-based games.

For games that run natively in the Mac OS, I usually shop here:
http://www.gogamer.com/Mac-Games_stc...2VVviewcat.htm

Yes, there are considerably fewer games that run natively in the Mac OS. However, when you ignore the number of games and programs available for PC that are cheap knock-offs of more popular and mainstream software, the field gets a bit more level.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #30
hello

I remember back years ago now my friends family bought a new MAC, it cost them $4,000 (NZ$), and they also had a PC which they had for years it was a pentium 166, probably worth about $1000 at the time. They had been fed all of the advertising that the latest MACs were insanely fast, and could be used for missile guidance etc etc and beleived their new MAC was a supercomputer.
Anyway, they installed the game quake on the new MAC, and they had Quake on their pentium 166. They were absolutely horrified to find that the MAC quake ran at 16 frames per second, while the old PC ran the game at 52 frames per second. The MAC version was basically unplayable.
(this was in the days when all games were software rendered, so it relied mainly on the processor).
More recently with Doom 3, the same thing happened with expensive dual core G5s and inexpensive athlon 64s, using the same graphics cards the MAC were slower by at least a factor of three, yet twice the price.

Luckily for MAC users now days, MACs are using the same processors as PCs (intel core 2 duo) so i beleive those days should be over.

If you look at the situation logically, and from the perspective of games only. The best choice is a PC, because there are WAY more titles, the games are more supported with patches, and drivers for hardware. And probably most importantly, the ratio of performance to money spent would favour a PC quite considerably.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #31
DAVE

Up to a point where the PCs surpass the Macs? I get the idea everyone thinks the macs are uberfast but since you say they're wrong...
Old 02-18-2007, 09:45 PM   #32
eXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
You've already made pretty clear that you're a Windows fanboy. No need to keep posting in this particular thread.
I will keep adding my opinion as much as I like, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM
Reference: Mobygames
2006, Mac: 41 titles, Win: 497 titles, Linux: 14 titles
2005, Mac: 53 titles, Win: 602 titles, Linux: 16 titles
2004, Mac: 63 titles, Win: 763 titles, Linux: 18 titles
2003, Mac: 61 titles, Win: 817 titles, Linux: 25 titles
2002, Mac: 47 titles, Win: 702 titles, Linux: 12 titles
2001, Mac: 47 titles, Win: 660 titles, Linux: 13 titles
2000, Mac: 41 titles, Win: 625 titles, Linux: 11 titles

Any questions?
That sums up my point about searching eBay just fine.

The guy asked what to use to play games. PC's have more games available then Macs do - this is not an opinion - it is a fact.

Now, it is possible to use on of the wndows emulators or even install windows on macs, but why would he want to buy a mac, just to go pay another few hundred for a copy of windows which the PC had to start with?

I do not believe that windows is a perfect OS at all. ANd I could care less who wins this psuedo OS war.

What I dislike is misleading pro-mac propaganda which is present in commercials and forums, in which PC's are painted as one thing while Mac's are apparantly something completely different (and better).

Melanie is dead right - this is a tired and ridiculous topic that (like many other topics on these forums) gets beaten to death and restarted every few weeks by some uniwtting (or extremely devious) forum member.

Either way - he asked which is better for games.

FACT - PC's have more of them (ten times fold at least) without the need of any emulators and are easier to upgrade if needed.

If that doesn't answer his question, then nothing else will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
As others have said, new Intel-powered Macs have dual-boot capabilities and can run Windows for playing most Windows-based games.

For games that run natively in the Mac OS, I usually shop here:
http://www.gogamer.com/Mac-Games_stc...2VVviewcat.htm

Yes, there are considerably fewer games that run natively in the Mac OS. However, when you ignore the number of games and programs available for PC that are cheap knock-offs of more popular and mainstream software, the field gets a bit more level.

Thats if he wants to pay another few hundred for a copy of windows on top of his cost for a Mac.

And calling everything non-mainstream a cheap knock-off is just plain ignorant.

Are you trying to tell me that games like Quake and Doom define all 1st person games and all the rest are cheap knock-offs?

That same logic says that Sierra and Lucasarts adventure games sum up the 2d adventure genre, while Myst single handedly defines all 3D adventure games - with everything else being a cheap knockoff.

Nice logic.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #33
Friendly Server Admin

Okay, I think this thread is done.