You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 06:42 AM   #1
mor

Default Max Payne ???

Yo everyone, so cool to find this site, first time, as probably all the other adv. fans I adore the series GK, and LOVE the longest journey.

Now, I've finished max payne last week, and I know its not an adventure game, and usualy I would HATE a first shooter ... But I dont know, the fact that this game is noir'ish, well, I simply loved it, and i'm a person that simply doesn't like games that are not adv.

Just wanted to know if i'm getting crazy or are there any more like me out there .
Old 01-20-2004, 07:02 AM   #2

I can't find anything interesting in any game that is not an adventure game, with one exception:

Postal 2. Yeah, I'm a sadistic asshole. Can live with it. Sorry, no time for discussions, gotta set a disco crowd on fire...
Old 01-20-2004, 07:10 AM   #3
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I thought the story of Max Payne was extremely annoying, clichéd and convoluted, but I really enjoyed the dream sequences and flashbacks. The shreds of story that those scenes contained had more emotional impact than all of the game's monologues combined.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:38 AM   #4
Bearly Here

Max Payne is an amazing game. You need to try Max Payne 2 next. I am still trying to decide if I like the darker, more gritty graphics of the first game. So far (just started it ) I am loving this one too.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:14 AM   #5
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

I love the Max Payne games, but I don't think it's got anything to do with my love for adventures... They're just good games. Maybe you should try out some more genres, mor?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:35 AM   #6
Fum
Indegan Peningald

I've learned long ago that its a very bad idea to pick and choose the games you play based on what genre its in, there are so many great games out there of so many mixed genres that you'd be really missing out if you only played adventure games. All you need to do to find games you'd like is to once in a while read the reviews of the top rated games on some general game review site (like Gamespot), and see if any of them sound like something you'd be interested in.

But back on topic, yeah, Max Payne 1 and 2 are awesome.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:30 AM   #7
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
I thought the story of Max Payne was extremely annoying, clichéd and convoluted, but I really enjoyed the dream sequences and flashbacks. The shreds of story that those scenes contained had more emotional impact than all of the game's monologues combined.
The dream sequences were a cool idea and the visual and audio stuff that went in to make them 'dreamy' were neat, but the actual gameplay itself in those levels drove me insane. Especially the endless corridors and the 'follow the red line' puzzle.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:57 AM   #8
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Both Max 1&2 are great, I love them!

All hail James McCaffrey!
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:50 PM   #9
mor

Ok guys, first up, it wasn't I did mean max payne 2 ! (sorry for droping the 2), I know its kind of wierd but I didn't get to play the first one, a friend had it he was realy exited of it and convinced me to play it.

But I must confess that it wont be the fist game i've played upside down
my most fav. game Gabriel Knight, I played 3, I liked it so much (it was the first time I was introduced to the genere) then I got two, and aventualy I got one ...
Although I didn't realy like the graphics of one, I afterwards read the book of 1, and it was the first book the gave that choke in my throte when I finished it (and NO I dont usually cry )

Anyhow, I guess what I REALY liked in max payne was the whole noir thing (like in disc world noir for those who played it ..)

p.s. I played many games games in many generes before I actualy "commited" myself to adv. (kinda waist of time trying anithing else ... no just kidding )
Old 01-25-2004, 01:06 AM   #10

actually the only reason i played max payne 2 was to find out the story, the shooting gets old quick.. so in a way it can attract story driven fans.. especially that it has 2 endings.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:32 AM   #11
mor

WAIT,WAIT,WAIT,WAIT ...
two endings ? ? ?

how do you get the second one. ( that is the first one is Mona dies, the russion guy dies, and all is sad )
Old 01-25-2004, 03:56 AM   #12
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Play the game with the hardest difficulty setting.

It's kind of fun actually, I played the game through in one session with the hard boiled and dead on arrival settings.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:02 AM   #13

I usually don't like 3rd person action games, but I loved the 1st Max Payne. The story is far from perfect, but I liked the noir-ish setting, the soundtrack, that hotel level, it was a pretty good game.

I bought Max Payne 2 and frankly I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoyed the 1st game. It may have better graphics, 2 maps that I think are some of the best ever in terms of design (the "fun house" map and the "hospital" map), but frankly I didn't care for the story, and I certainly didn't like those maps near the end where you switched characters and played Mona.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:43 AM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
I take it you don't like cheese.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-02-2004, 11:23 AM   #15

Max Payne 1 and 2 are both great games.

The only downfall of Max Payne 2 is thats its way too short
Old 02-02-2004, 11:42 AM   #16

Apart from the Bullet-time improvement, the only thing that was a welcoming factor was having the ability to play Mona.

Now if only Kenneth Yeung's Kung Fu mod could be used in Max Payne 2, it would definitely and vastly improve the gameplay/gunplay.....
Old 02-02-2004, 01:40 PM   #17
Cannabis Connoisseur

I find that if i play a game, adventure or not, as long as it has a very gripping story line, and the characters are very involved, im very drawn to it.

There are lots of other factors too.
I loved max payne for the story, and the amazing work the sound and art team did for the game. For instance; have you ever just stopped going around shooting and just watched the TV's? The sound team just threw in some funny random stuff for the tv shows, and offers quite a few laughs. Heck, i actually liked watching the tv series "Lords and Ladies" and that other show... shit.. it was basically a show about noir york city, and this guy was all crazy... anyways...
The art was spectacular. Just look around in a room your in. Awesome drawing and paining done. Very detailed work with all the items in the rooms.
Foley was well done, everything sounded they way it should.
Voice acting was awesome. Rockstar definatley has money to spill in for good actors.

As for other games, i dont mind RPG's at all.
Heck, i consider an rpg a gory adventure game. Cuz to me thats exactly what it is. But you fight monsters and shitl like that.
You still get a gripping story, you still need to solve puzzles, but you can kick ass point n' click or turnbased styles. (i'm a turnbased man myself, unless were talkin diablo )
Who here didn't like KOTR for its good... eveything?
(don't get me wrong, i grew up playing adventure games, and have never stopped)

cheers mates, thats my 2 cents.
And now to play silent hill 3
Old 02-02-2004, 08:40 PM   #18

yah kotor was great, though it gets really annoying when it pauses you everytime you do something bad, then you have to click ok, grrr...
Old 02-02-2004, 09:02 PM   #19
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I picked up Max Payne used a few months ago for $10 bucks and I wish I'd have done so earlier. It's true that the story was rife with cliches and the dialogue had more mixed metaphors than a junior high love poem, but it seemed at least like the game had some sort of vision, and the triteness of plot was simply the natural byproduct of whatever bizarre vision that was. I really appreciated the mood and tone of the game, not to mention the solid gameplay, and for whatever reason that caused me not to be bothered by any other qualms I may have had with the other elements.

Regarding the dream sequences, I agree with Marek that they presented a lot more emotional content than Max's deadpan delivery did, but on the whole I feel how Tabacco does: they were incredibly frustrating and overly difficult, and I don't think the gameplay was very well-conceived. No matter, though. If I recall correctly, there are only a few such sequences and they really didn't detract from the rest of the game.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 02-02-2004, 09:51 PM   #20
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I picked up Max Payne used a few months ago for $10 bucks and I wish I'd have done so earlier.
But then it wouldn't have been $10 bucks . I actually got up and rode my bike 2 miles to get it on the day it came out, I never do that with any game (the box was still warm from the oven). Absolutely no regrets.

Quote:
It's true that the story was rife with cliches and the dialogue had more mixed metaphors than a junior high love poem, but it seemed at least like the game had some sort of vision, and the triteness of plot was simply the natural byproduct of whatever bizarre vision that was.
Actually, they intended the story to be over-the-top, insanely clichéd, and horribly cheesy (hence my little joke to Marek above).

Quote:
Regarding the dream sequences, I agree with Marek that they presented a lot more emotional content than Max's deadpan delivery did, but on the whole I feel how Tabacco does: they were incredibly frustrating and overly difficult, and I don't think the gameplay was very well-conceived.
Yeah, those sequences sucked, gameplay-wise. But you haven't played Max Payne 2, eh? Dream sequence in it as well, but more sympathetic, dramatic, just as creepy as in the first MP, and really good excuse to have fun with the physics engine.

Quote:
No matter, though. If I recall correctly, there are only a few such sequences and they really didn't detract from the rest of the game.
In other words, you had fun!! I did.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien