You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2004, 10:44 PM   #21
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Actually, they intended the story to be over-the-top, insanely clichéd, and horribly cheesy (hence my little joke to Marek above).
Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant; what I was trying to say was that to me the cliches and cheesiness worked well in the context of the game because the whole game was intentionally using them as its mode of storytelling. It wasn't as if the developers were trying to convey a realistic and novel plot and failed because of an overabundance of cliches.

Quote:
In other words, you had fun!! I did.
For sure.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 02-03-2004, 09:49 AM   #22

I hated Max Payne...for more reasons than one. I can't quite grasp why people complain about the short length of the game. I had to force myself through the game. I thought the game would never end. The game was dull, boring immensely repetitive...and those are the good parts. I lost interest about halfway through and uninstalled the game. Bullet-Time was cool for about 5 seconds. I'm not even taking into consideration the noir element and the storytelling part. What good is a story if the actual gameplay is extremely poor ?
Oh and it has one of the ugliest skybox art I've ever seen in a title as acclaimed as this one. Second only to the ugly canyon artwork of Half-Life. I somehow liked the graphic novel and the dream sequences, though. Max Payne 2 seems a little better. At least the bullet time and shoot dodging are well fleshed out. Feel free to flame me.

Old 02-03-2004, 10:32 AM   #23

Mycroft I agree , the gameplay and game got tedious, I found myself playing for the story only.. At the end of maxpayne 2 i felt it was too short, the story that is, i was glad the constant slow downs were over.

I guess a game like this falls in the grand theft auto niche of fans.. I never understood why gta3 was so popular, i mean its the 3rd one , didnt anyone ever play the other 2? its the same thing!
Old 02-03-2004, 11:47 AM   #24
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft
Feel free to flame me.

mycroft
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-03-2004, 11:53 AM   #25
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82
I guess a game like this falls in the grand theft auto niche of fans.. I never understood why gta3 was so popular, i mean its the 3rd one , didnt anyone ever play the other 2? its the same thing!
It's in three dee!!!
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:09 PM   #26
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Quote:
NICHE???????? :eek:
Old 02-03-2004, 03:41 PM   #27
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
I don't think so. I play Max Payne and GTA for completely different reasons. I would love to see a GTA-like game with Max Payne style combat though.

And why GTA3 was so popular? Because it has some of the best gameplay ever. And the 3rd dimension actually added a lot to the experience. And astoundingly they managed to make it even better in Vice City.

Old 02-03-2004, 04:55 PM   #28

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
i mean its the 3rd one , didnt anyone ever play the other 2? its the same thing!
After reading this statement, I have a hard time believing that YOU played the other two. GTA 1 and 2 very very much the same, gameplay-wise, whereas GTA 3 and VC are like totally different games with the same basic premise. I don't know how you could possibly consider them the same. I'm not even going to bother listing all the differences, it's unnecessary.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 02-03-2004, 04:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft
I thought the game would never end. The game was dull, boring immensely repetitive...and those are the good parts.
Well, to each his own, I suppose. Personally, I don't consider dull, boring, immensely repetitive parts good, so perhaps that's why our opinions differ on Max Payne.