You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 06:13 PM   #21
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

That was awfully sporting of them to attack him one at a time.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:11 AM   #22

Somebody in work just asked me what's an 'X06'.
I said "?", and now I see a thread here with the title.

What is an X06?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #23
Psychonaut

It's a media event, like E3, held by Microsoft every year to announce what's coming up for their consoles.

http://uk.gamespot.com/events/x06/in...ag=nav-top;x06
Old 10-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #24

Aaaaaaah. I thought it was a new name for an xbox 360 =D
Old 10-03-2006, 03:09 AM   #25
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
So explain me this. How would you defend yourself - an assassin trained to be a stealthy, athletic, nimble, quick, light (very, very light, which means NO HEAVY ARMOUR WHATSOEVER), acrobatic, thus by default NOT built like a tank - against 12 guys who are the complete opposite of you in terms of fighting, and they all attack you at the same time? Remember, you're like a ninja, not a soldier, not a gunner, not a juggernaut. You don't have superhuman powers, no powerups, no BFGs, only a light sword and stilleto blade. How long do you think you would last?
Um... and? I'm not quite sure how saying that it would be difficult otherwise necessarily excuses having the enemies stand around. A stealthy character would aim to avoid combat altogether, in which case it's fair game if you get seen and attacked by a whole load of people. You know... like in Thief...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:04 AM   #26
gin soaked boy

Thief sucks.

Whoops, did I just say that?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:49 AM   #27
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Um... and? I'm not quite sure how saying that it would be difficult otherwise necessarily excuses having the enemies stand around. A stealthy character would aim to avoid combat altogether, in which case it's fair game if you get seen and attacked by a whole load of people. You know... like in Thief...
That's my point. The game will allow you the option of combat. The [in-game] reality, however, dictates that, because you're trained to be stealthy and silent and agile, it will be at the expense of brute strength and armour. What wilco commented on was the fact that the 12 guards try to attack Altair one by one. I think the designers did this with intent, otherwise it wouldn't be a fair game. It's already very, very difficult to take all the guards down, considering that one or two blows from them will kill Altair. It's a matter of gameplay balance. You have many options, of course, such as running away, trapping the guards one by one, or hiding.

I'll again stress that you DO have the option of fighting, it's just that Altair is built for a more evade-then-strike way of combat, much like how judo is designed as a more defensive style of martial arts. You look for a weakness in your opponent's strikes.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-03-2006, 12:38 PM   #28

What I meant is that it looked weird considering the overall realistic feeling of the game.

I mean, after the assassin sneaks his way to the victim and kills him, the crowd reaction was great (everybody panicking and running), even guards being just paralyzed for a moment.

And then, after running away the assassin is surrended and it looked weird seeing that kind of mini-game where one guard attacked at a time. I agree that it's a matter of ballance to give the player the freedom of fighting, but I would prefer it is more like killing one or two guards quickly just get to wall and run through the roofs to escape using obstacles and the crowd to slow the guards, like they shown.

Of course this was an early version and the guy did died at the end of the presentation.

And I have faith that this team can make some amazing fighting mechanics. (Prince of Persia: The warrior within and two thrones had the best sword fights I ever played)
Old 10-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #29
merely human

I guess this thread's the best place to post this:

100GB hard drive for Xbox 360 on the way | Ars technica, 10/19/2006

Quote:
...according to a corporate presentation on new 360 peripherals in Korea, Microsoft is planning on delivering a 100GB hard drive add-on for the 360.

The peripheral is enclosed in a sleek, curved shell that plugs directly into the 360. There is no word on pricing or availability for the unit, but it is expected to shortly follow the Korean launch in the first quarter of 2007. There is still no word on whether or not Microsoft will increase the default size of the hard drive in the Xbox 360.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-20-2006, 04:48 PM   #30
gin soaked boy

Allegedly already debunked by a German Microsoft representative.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:01 PM   #31
merely human

It's not true? LOL!! Still, wouldn't that be marvelous?

But really, stashing all sorts of NON-gaming shit in my game console doesn't make sense to me, especially when I can easily plug my iPod in it and listen to my music while gaming, or simply turn around and use my laptop to look something up online.

If you really step back and look at it logically, these companies (Sony, MS, etc.) are simply trying to make more money by creating demand for their wares where there isn't.