Thread: X06
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 08:49 AM   #27
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Um... and? I'm not quite sure how saying that it would be difficult otherwise necessarily excuses having the enemies stand around. A stealthy character would aim to avoid combat altogether, in which case it's fair game if you get seen and attacked by a whole load of people. You know... like in Thief...
That's my point. The game will allow you the option of combat. The [in-game] reality, however, dictates that, because you're trained to be stealthy and silent and agile, it will be at the expense of brute strength and armour. What wilco commented on was the fact that the 12 guards try to attack Altair one by one. I think the designers did this with intent, otherwise it wouldn't be a fair game. It's already very, very difficult to take all the guards down, considering that one or two blows from them will kill Altair. It's a matter of gameplay balance. You have many options, of course, such as running away, trapping the guards one by one, or hiding.

I'll again stress that you DO have the option of fighting, it's just that Altair is built for a more evade-then-strike way of combat, much like how judo is designed as a more defensive style of martial arts. You look for a weakness in your opponent's strikes.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien