You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General DO NOT play Rule of rose !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 10:56 PM   #1

Default DO NOT play Rule of rose !

I'm not sure if i can post a post like this, but i'm happy if i can help somebody to save some money. I played it for 2 hours yesterday desperately hoping that it's just a first impression, but it's not. The game is sooooooooo boring....It's actually OK in first 20 minutes

But, after that...nothing ! Little girl is moving through the house and something like zeppelin without normal orientation. When you are in the toilette, you cannot see everything, 'cause the camera in the game cannot locate the location that you are in, atmosphere is good only in few minutes of the game, graphic is not as good as you think, very bad inventory and much worse use of inventory.

I played so many adventure games, and there is only one thing that i can say :

SAVE YOUR MONEY !!!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:24 PM   #2
It's Hard To Be Humble

Ah, but what you described doesn't sound any different than what most of us prefer in our games here. You were expecting, maybe, something more like ObsCure?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:29 PM   #3

Obscure looks much better. I didn't play it. But, Rule of rose is not good. Believe me.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:33 AM   #4
In an evening of July...

Umm, I played Rule of Rose until first monsters appeared on the ship (and I quit because the game was, umm, in Japanese and I didn't quite get what I was meant to do). Rule of Rose didn't suck, and the idea of a strict hierarchy among little, nasty girls was refreshing.
On the other hand, it is, what it was supposed to be: a survival-horror game like Clock Tower and many others, not bad, but in terms of gameplay nothing extraordinary. The idea/story and the style of Rule of Rose is the most interesting about the game.

You only complained about the camera (which is standart for that type of games) and the inventory (that you didn't even need in the house), which is, granted, not as good as it could be.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:35 AM   #5
gin soaked boy

No, he might be right, the reviews for Rule of Rose have been pretty bad.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:18 AM   #6

Believe me, it is so boring that, at the end of the evening you must asko yourself - am i crazy or what ?!

It's like a punishment ! When you do something wrong, you have to play RofR for 2 hours. It would make you feel so bad that you will certanly behave much better next time
Old 09-21-2006, 04:42 AM   #7
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo
Ah, but what you described doesn't sound any different than what most of us prefer in our games here.
Most of us prefer lousy camerawork, lack of atmosphere and bad inventory (whatever "bad" is supposed to mean here)?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
OB

RoR is an excellent game. It is the exact opposite of what has been described here. Actual gamer reviews have been considerable higher than so-called professional, paid non-gamer critics.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Most of us prefer lousy camerawork, lack of atmosphere and bad inventory (whatever "bad" is supposed to mean here)?
I was thinking strictly in terms of atmosphere and slow pace. All I see from the screencaps is atmosphere, so I'm not sure where this lack comes in. And I can't really judge the inventory yet.

I guess I'll have to play it first, Ruggy's argument notwithstanding. Won't be the first time I took a chance against advisement. Perhaps after I've read a few in-depth reviews...
Old 09-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #10
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
I was thinking strictly in terms of atmosphere and slow pace. All I see from the screencaps is atmosphere, so I'm not sure where this lack comes in. And I can't really judge the inventory yet.
*points at Lee's previous post, specifically at "what you described" bit*
Old 09-26-2006, 03:58 PM   #11
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggy View Post
Believe me, it is so boring that, at the end of the evening you must asko yourself - am i crazy or what ?!
I'll be honest here and say that I'm inclined to believe people who don't write and punctuate like five year olds.

Having said that, the general consensus from the critics seems to be that it's a story looking for a game.