You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2006, 02:40 AM   #1
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe
Default Just Cause

Has anyone tried the demo? I´m downloading it as i write, the trailer looks really good, here´s the demo and screenies!

http://files.filefront.com/Just+Caus.../fileinfo.html
Old 08-25-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Im downloading it via my 360 right now, I'll probably have it in a few hours because Im getting test driver first.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
Banned User

I have. And I wasn't impressed. Great graphics (minus character models), lousy everything else.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
merely human

Played it last night. The controls are wonky and a little oversensitive, which puts a damper on the gameplay. Graphics are lush and pretty - that is, until you zoom in up close on the characters. Animation is not fluid and graceful. There are some physics going on, but at least as far as the demo they don't seem to figure into the gameplay.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
FlipFrame

Oversensitive yes, but honestly everything else makes up for that. I would love that the over the shoulder shooting mode (click down the right thumbstick for you 360er's) was a little quicker or a default mode as auto-aim is just lame.

Some cars are outstanding, and some just steer too wildly.

Shooting impacts on bodies, cars and the environment are satisfying and explosions are impressive.

The island atmosphere is just top notch and better than Farcry IMHO. Rich contrasts with the dynamic shadows; nice variable diffuse overcast effect (clouds passing in front of the sun ); One of the better feeling day/night cycles around.

Draw distance is just incredible, especially when you consider you're free to go to any location you can see. Similar to that sense of vastness looking back down the moutain from Bruma towards the Imperial City in Oblivion.

Definite purchase for the person that loves GTA/Farcry, which includes me, yay!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

wow...the thing crashed on me...

The hand to had combat controlls suck but I guess you wont be doing much of that...but still.

I dont know what the hell happened with me at the start, I was about to open my parachut when He landed on the car and held onto the roof where it gave me instructions on what i could do here, then before I could do anytthing he decided to jump(it did the animation and everyhting) a few hundred feet back up into the air and open his parachute...then the car shot of and I had to hike down the road a bit untill a bike came. So I drove off the road into the direction of where my first mark was expecting to take a shortuc when I realised I drove off a cliff, you would think that he would fall off the bike and plummet to his death but all that happened was the bike landed and exploded and he rolled to the side with minimal damage...

After killing my first mark I started driving to the second one messing about with the stunt position....kinda sucked since once you went into it the car would stop moving. Well I went into some cinematic air time sequence when my car hit a bump and went up into the air a little bit, so thinking this would be cool looking to go into the stunt position I press A to see what it would be like....well he just appears above the car and starts to fall while the car lands and drives off without me...if I had landed on the car it would have been awesome and the stunt position would actualy had some use but all that happened was I got stranded in the middle of nowhere and had to hike the rest of the way.

well eventualy I killed the second guy and was making my way to the third guy when it became night and a cinematic showing some factory began to play then it went dark and all I could see was a brief outline of it....

and that was it, it crashed right there

It's a game I would probably get but not untill it's out on a budget release
Old 08-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
FlipFrame

Curious Karmillo; is your opinion based on not knowing the controls and the crashing? In all fairness, every game for the most part has a learning curve, especially when it introduces new dynamics. I my second play-through, having acclimated, you get past control and get into the game and environment proper, so perhaps give it another go?

As for crashing, well, that could be anything. The best of the best in games crash, so thats not really indicative of anything.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
woof

...where did you get me not knowing the controls from? What button did having your car drive off without you come under? or the jump 200 feet in the air button?

I didnt say the game was bad, just terribly buggy.

Also I would have understood the crashing if it were the pc demo I was playing but this was on the 360 and its not too often I see a console game crash.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
FlipFrame

Yikes, defensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
...where did you get me not knowing the controls from?
...from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo Prior to my Post
I dont know what the hell happened with me at the start, I was about to open my parachut when He landed on the car and held onto the roof where it gave me instructions on what i could do here, then before I could do anytthing he decided to jump(it did the animation and everyhting) a few hundred feet back up into the air and open his parachute...
Quote:
What button did having your car drive off without you come under?
The A button: Get into Stunt Position followed by...

Quote:
...or the jump 200 feet in the air button?
...A button again when on top of the car: Open Parachute...car keeps on going. (...and no I'm not trying to be a smart ass...just being thorough... )

Perhaps I misconstrued all this as you simply not being familiar with the controls, as I certainly wasn't when I first tried the demo. *shrugs*

Quote:
I didnt say the game was bad, just terribly buggy.
A crash = terribly buggy? Hyperbole maybe?

Ultimately, you chose to save this for the bargin bin due to not being familiar with the controls(at least so I thought...sorry ) and an errant crash.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:01 PM   #10
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
Yikes, defensive...

The A button: Get into Stunt Position followed by...

...A button again when on top of the car: Open Parachute...car keeps on going. (...and no I'm not trying to be a smart ass...just being thorough... )
Ok, I didnt open the parachute then fly into the air, I flew into the air and opened the parachute without me pressing the a button to do so. this was at the beggining when your supposed to open the parachute and land on your targets car, I landed on the car without opening my parachute but didnt die, he must not have like this since he jumped back up into the air and made me go through the parachuting again as my target drove off. So either that was a bug or hes one hell of an acrobat.

And the bit where I said my car kept on going was a different bit, I didnt open my parachute there...hell I didnt even get on top of the car, he was about to go into the stunt position but something happened and he just didnt bother, then my car drove off with no-one driving it.

Quote:
A crash = terribly buggy? Hyperbole maybe?
Crash, super human jumping, self driving cars, falling off a cliff and having my bike explode under me and getting away with only a scratch....sure, hyperbole.

Oh yeah, and for some reason when I punched my first target he exploded...

Quote:
Ultimately, you chose to save this for the bargin bin due to not being familiar with the controls(at least so I thought...sorry ) and an errant crash.
No, I chose to leave it for the bargain bin due to the bugs and feeling it isnt worth £40, its fun but not that fun.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:41 PM   #11
FlipFrame

Well alright. Its not that you'd have any reason to make this stuff up, I'm hard pressed to truly understand how you could have such a dramatically different experience especially since we're talking about the 360 demo.

For the record though, the character DOES fly really high up into the air when you're on a vehicle thats moving along at a good clip(superhuman jumping), so as to initiate the whole parachute dealie...thats a part of the stunt-gameplay...not a bug.

Cheers
Old 08-26-2006, 01:28 AM   #12
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
Well alright. Its not that you'd have any reason to make this stuff up, I'm hard pressed to truly understand how you could have such a dramatically different experience especially since we're talking about the 360 demo.

For the record though, the character DOES fly really high up into the air when you're on a vehicle thats moving along at a good clip(superhuman jumping), so as to initiate the whole parachute dealie...thats a part of the stunt-gameplay...not a bug.

Cheers
I just had the luck to run into every bug in the one play apparently

Also jumping up like that is a bit dodgy, I would understand if he opened his parachute first since theres actualy something to propel him that high up.
I guess that would go under bad design or something then.

Like I said it was fun, and some of the bugs were a laugh even if they left me stranded(I couldnt find a sprint button wich was annoying). But its not a game that I myself would pay full price for.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:53 AM   #13
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I hate it when they throw you in a mission without any training.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #14

I hate it when you HAVE to do the missions, and not just roam around in a freeroaming game like this.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #15
FlipFrame

Quote:
I just had the luck to run into every bug in the one play apparently
I say go get a lottery ticket right now...just to see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
I hate it when you HAVE to do the missions, and not just roam around in a freeroaming game like this.
This was a very odd choice on their part. You can't leave the designated space, abruptly ending the game if you fly too high or too far, so yea, limiting the play to just missions in a demo of a game exclaiming its 'freedom' is bizarre to say the least.

For what its worth though, after you kill the first mark, you're free to ignore the other three, and explore for about 10 mins or so...the only downside is that there isn't anything to really find...
Old 08-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #16
Banned User

If you complete that first mission, you're free to roam.