You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Anyone playing Dungeons and Dragons Online?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #1

Default Anyone playing Dungeons and Dragons Online?

Anyone here getting into Dungeons and Dragons Online? I just recently picked this up and have been having fun with it. Never played an online multiplayer game before, for the most part (did die a bit in Unreal Tournament 2004).

This has the potential for more story-based adventures than i've seen so far, which appears to be mostly hack and slash. But still fun.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
is not wierd

Nope. I'm trying to stay away from MMORPGs after shaking the WoW-ddiction I had last summer.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:54 PM   #3

I played DDO for about 2 weeks, which is a record for me and MMORPGs. I usually play for about 2 months, even the bad ones.

To be honest, I'm counting the days till DDO goes under. It could be a good game, but it no way comes close to justifying a monthly subscription. The game would be far better as a standalone multiplayer RPG with purchasable expansion packs than a MMORPG.

The closest I can explain it is online 'Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance', even down to the crate smashing.

It's such a pitty. I'd love to see a Forgotten Realms MMORPG. They would have to use an adaption of the D&D 3.5 rules though, I'm not convinced the ruleset can be used in a MMORPG. For example, the one piece armor thing just doesn't work in an online computer game.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #4

Wow. I hope DDO doesn't 'go under' as i've been really enjoying it. I like the fact it's sort of an action-based game. I think the best way to play it is with three or four people you know. I've been meeting up with my brother and friends from Minnesota (i live in Indiana right now) and we've been able to chat using voice chat (which sounds pretty good, depending on whether people have decent mics). It's been a blast.

Now, i don't usually play massive online games, so i really don't know how it stacks up to the rest. But i've been liking the graphics, action, people, etc. Maybe its for a more casual online gamer. like i said, i don't know much about these kind of games. I'm usually an adventure gamer.

In conclusion, let me just say that i wish I could bring my fighter with me next time i play Dreamfall, so i can finally kick some troll butt in level 5 (Zoe: i've brought a friend - say hi to his MASSIVE AXE!). That'll teach em to kill me about 30-times.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by courderoy guy
I think the best way to play it is with three or four people you know.
That is true for any MMORPG. In fact, you can play any rubbish for hours and days if you play it with good friends. About D&D Online: didn't notice one single aspect that would make this game attractive in any way. Action-RPG with trolls, levelups and big hammers? Been there, done that. I guess for someone new to the genre this might be interesting. Gosh, all this talk about mid-age MMORPGs makes me want to renew my EVE account.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

DDO had so much potential to be the best MMO yet BUT unfortunately there are a few things restrictive about it that other MMO's dont have such as how far you can go in the map/s without doing certain missions etc.... also i found the graphics unfavourable, the chat bars unfavourable and some of the other minor things a bit lame.

The good points are the rules system, uses pretty close to 3.5 ed D&D rules, which are the best possible rules set that a MMO could EVER have. Tried and tested already by Millions of Role PLayers around the world.

The character creation is good ALBEIT lacks detail. Sure you can change the eye color.. whooop de doooo basil... there isn't enough to individualise your character like there is in a lot of other MMO's

I played DDO for the 12 day $3 trial. Was going to ALLOW myself to be addicted IF the game did the addicting for me. Even though i'd learnt my lesson with the first Year of WoW taking over my life with its awesome ability to addict players. I love D&D i think its great but unfortunately DDO dosnt come close to being as good. Long live pen, paper and a set of D20.

GoT
Old 06-29-2006, 10:32 AM   #7

It's amazing how many people are writing online to say they don't like this game. I'd encourage those interested in DDO to check it out and not worry too much about what the 'net folk think. I know i'm not the only one who's really liking this game. There's plenty to do, graphics are good (best with an upper-level computer), sound is nice, great variety, and just plain fun!
Old 07-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

I'm sticking to real D&D for the time. They could have blasted all other MMO's out of the water with this one but i think its lacking in the wrong parts.

GoT