You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General PSP or DS: Which to buy for adventure???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2006, 07:15 AM   #1

Default PSP or DS: Which to buy for adventure???

So many of you have one or both of these systems I hope and can tell me the potential for adventure gaming on them.

I think the DS shows more potential in the long run, but a HUGE draw to the PSP for me is the fact that through the ScummVM you can actually play CMI and The Dig which are two of my absolute all-time favorite titles!!! The smaller amount of RAM on the DS makes them impossible to play.

Are there other things I should be taking into consideration? Please let me know your feelings! Thanks!!
Old 05-10-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
Bad command or file name

Ya', there is something else that should be taken into consideration. The DS actually has adventure games for it already and a few more on the way. I have yet to see an adventure developed for the PSP. Plus the stylus makes for some very interesting gameplay.

Basically, Phoenix Wright is more than reason enough to get a DS.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #3
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Get a DS for Another Code, Phoenix Wright, Touch Detective, Phoenix Wright 2, and Hotel Dusk. More DS adventure games are sure to come.

CMI and The Dig are best experienced on your PC.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:07 AM   #4
gin soaked boy

DS, hands down, but I hope you're not buying a handheld just for adventures.

Anyway, a DS port of ScummVM exists, but I don't know how well it works.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #5

Don't buy a PSP if it's just for SCUMMVM. You're far better off with a Palm or Pocket PC for that. Both have a touchscreen, and can run any software for them without any modifications to the system. However, it can be a bit fiddly using a stylus on a tiny screen to control a game designed for a mouse on a much larger one.

Both also have z-code interpreters, and there's a Magnetic Scrolls one for Palm as well. They also each have a small number of adventure games available that are unique to the platform or ported from the PC.

For first-party games, right now the DS has the adventure lead, with a few titles on the market for it, plus a few others for the Gameboy Advance. I did read something some time ago about a graphic adventure maker for the PSP that would run games off the memory stick. This idea has enormous potential, but unless I hear some confirmation of it being released, it's only potential.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I'm getting a DS in June, when the lite version is released.

And yeah, the DS truly really rules, so many amazing games.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 05-11-2006, 12:34 AM   #7
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
I'm getting a DS in June, when the lite version is released.

And yeah, the DS truly really rules, so many amazing games.
Has it been confirmed at last that it's coming out here in June then? I was scanning the net for ages last week to try and find a UK release date but all I could find was the US one. In the end I gave up and ordered from Japan (I hope it arrives today!)

Def loads of amazing games, gonna get Phoenix Wright and Another Code when it arrives. Like the others have said Victim, the DS has great potential for interesting adventure games (with the touch screen etc), whereas the PSP seems more geared towards action & sports titles.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-11-2006, 01:35 AM   #8
A Servicable Villain

I've only played Another Code qua adventures on the DS so far, but it was a really nice and intimite experience.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictimOfScience
I think the DS shows more potential in the long run, but a HUGE draw to the PSP for me is the fact that through the ScummVM you can actually play CMI and The Dig which are two of my absolute all-time favorite titles!!! The smaller amount of RAM on the DS makes them impossible to play.
Just my personal opinion, but I would rather play new (and interesting, by the way) adventure games on my DS than replaying "old" PC adventure games on a platform like the PSP (remember the controls weren't mapped for the PSP pad). You can always play The Dig, CMI, ..., on your PC, and instead you're getting games that are equally fun to play (seriously, Phoenix Wright is now one of my favourite adventure games of all time; it's just sooooo good, the great writing and cases, the memorable characters, the excelent use of the soundtrack, ...) and are exclusive to the DS.
I always used my PC for most of my gaming, but I must confess the DS probably changed the way I feel about most consoles. I currently have 22 DS games (+ 13 for the GBA, bought to play on my DS), so that must give you an idea of how much I've been playing on it. And the funny thing is I don't really use it as a portable, since I always play it when I'm at home, I just go to bed and play with it (with headphones; you get way better sound).

And the console has far more than Adventure games, it also has lots of games that are a blast to play (Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Animal Crossing: Wild World, Trauma Center: Under the Knife, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, ...), and soon you'll have games like New Super Mario Bros. (it looks great; it's made by the same guy who made Super Mario World, my favourite game of the genre), Star Fox DS, Yoshi's Island 2, Chibi Robo: Park Patrol, Children of Mana, Contact (a "bizarre" RPG made by the guys behind Killer 7, it looks really interesting), The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Elite Beat Agents (the "new" game from the guys who made a Japanese game that I own called Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!; since it was hard to translate the game to English (because of the link between the music used and the scenarios), they made a totally new game with some of the art recycled), ...

The DS may not be as powerful as the PSP, but in my opinion it currently has far more interesting and above all FUN games to play (especially when it comes to adventure games, since all it's expected at the moment for the PSP is a port of the original Myst).
Old 05-11-2006, 03:24 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to copycat

Get the DS, it's freaking awesome! Not only for adventure games like Another Code or Phoenix Wright – there's New Super Mario Bros. on the way!

Recently finished: Fable – The Lost Chapters (Mac)
Old 06-11-2006, 08:00 AM   #11

Thank you all for the help. Just got a DS Lite and I love it. Now I am looking into SNES/NES/Genesis emulation for it. Good good times--the thing is amazing!!!

Last edited by VictimOfScience; 06-12-2006 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:03 PM   #12
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictimOfScience
Thank you all for the help. Just a DS Lite and I love it. Now I am looking into SNES/NES/Genesis emulation for it. Good good times--the thing is amazing!!!
dood man, but if you get that scummvm thing-a-majig please tell us how easy it was to set up beacuse monkey island is one bangin' game

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 06-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #13
SamNMax

It depends on a wide variety of factors. What kind games you're interested in. How much you're willing to spend. A lot of factors at play here :hmmm:

If you're looking for puzzle games, sports games, or action games, PSP is for you. Also, if you want more than a gaming machine, this is the obvious pick.

If you're looking for a wide variety of quality games, or something inexpensive, DS is a good pick.

Or if you're not a pussy, buy both.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
gin soaked boy

You're a little late to the party, he bought a DS Lite just three posts ago.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #15
SamNMax

oh shoot.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
oh shoot.
Don't worry. Thanks for the great post, but I must tell you, it looks I am going to be a pussy and stick with just the DS for now.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:04 AM   #17

If emulation is what you want, you want the GP2X. It was built for homebrew software, so if you want adventures on your handheld, you get one of those.