You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General ds lite impressions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 07:21 PM   #1

Default ds lite impressions

There's been a lot of questions lately about what exactly the Nintendo DS Lite is, and what it has to offer.

Physical Changes:[/]
Nintendo DS Lite is only a change in form factor.
This means that the games that it can play are exactly the same as the original Nintendo DS; only the physical characteristics have changed.

Size:
The most significant change is that the Nintendo DS Lite is physically smaller than its predecessor, and shed weight. The original Nintendo DS was 5.9" x 3.3", and 1.13" thick. The Nintendo DS Lite has managed to trim that down to a slim 5.2" x 2.9" x .85", and lost nearly 2 ounces in weight, down to 7.7 ounces from 9.7 ounces. The Nintendo DS Lite is a total of 42% smaller than the Nintendo DS.

Button arrangement:
Another functionality change has to do with the Nintendo DS Lite's button placement. The power button has moved from the face of the unit, where it was located on the original, to the side. The microphone has shifted from the bottom of the case, below the touchscreen, to a position near the hinges. The start and select button have been moved from the upper-right to lower right hand corner of the unit.

The disadvantage of being small:
The Nintendo DS Lite has all the media capabilities of the original Nintendo DS. This means that it can play both Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance titles. However, unlike the original Nintendo DS, the DS Lite is not big enough to hold a Game Boy Advance cartridge entirely inside the frame. When playing a Nintendo DS, a portion of the cartridge sticks out from the bottom of the system. This makes it difficult to carry the DS Lite with a game loaded at all times.

[b]Final thoughts:
The Nintendo DS Lite is not revolutionary. It plays the same games as the Nintendo DS, only does it in a small, sleeker package. Nintendo has become famous for reworking their handheld designs to maximize profit; the Game Boy Advance has gone through several iterations before arriving at the look and feel that it has now. Yet, it's hard to deny that Nintendo has become good at improving their own work. Their redesigns are almost always improvements in some respects of the originally released hardware. If you already own a Nintendo DS, there's probably little reason to worry about the Lite. However, if you're thinking about picking up a unit, then you'll probably find yourself wanting the Lite above all else. In Japan, the Nintendo DS Lite sells for only slightly more than the original, and you can expect the prices to level out as Nintendo phases the Nintendo DS out of existence. When it will cross the oceans and leave Japan, and what price you can expect, is currently a mystery to everyone.

ds.qj.net "my dsblog"
Old 04-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #2

Default Has the best of the DS come and gone?

We've had online, mario kart, metroid, castlevania, advance wars, and now a fourth coming zelda, most of the major franchises have appeared, but is the best still to come? I think we've already seen it, but that by no means their is no hope in the future, there will be plenty of ground breaking titles, but WFC is what has really defined the DS.
Discuss people.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

How about the screen? I know its now got 2 extra levels of brightness but is it any smaller than the original DS?

Also arnt the buttons now rounded aswell?

Having the power button to the side seems kinda dodgy to me....is it slidable now? or is it still a push button? cause I can see myself hitting it accidently that way...

Also I heard the battery life is now longer
Old 04-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #4

Default introducing NitroTracker v0.1.4

* added a "cln" button that clones the current pattern
* column selection: make a selection over the columns you want to select and press the "sel" button. This expands the selection to the complete column(s). Without an active selection, the column under the cursor is selected.
* live recording: press play in record mode and play
* added del and ins buttons to the pattern screen, removed the del button from the keyboard
* new settings tab
* left-handed mode (D-Pad swapped with ABXY and LR swapped)
* in list boxes, clicking below/above the "scroll thingy" scrolls down/up one page
* you can now tap on the song name / filename to change the name
* you now have to touch the spash screen

what can you say...
Old 04-17-2006, 07:40 PM   #5

Default OT: Nintendo's Cashing In?

Is Nintendo receiving too much profit for the Nintendo DS? This animation tells you the answer.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
How about the screen? I know its now got 2 extra levels of brightness but is it any smaller than the original DS?

Also arnt the buttons now rounded aswell?

Having the power button to the side seems kinda dodgy to me....is it slidable now? or is it still a push button? cause I can see myself hitting it accidently that way...

Also I heard the battery life is now longer
I think they bumped up the mAH rating of the batteries only to compensate for the brighter screen, so you're not getting longer life, you're just not losing any life.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:09 PM   #7
gin soaked boy

Nope, the best is yet to come, it's still a young platform.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
woof

But what if you still run it on the regular brightness? wouldnt that raise the life....to like 5 minutes?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:11 PM   #9
Friendly Server Admin

dsgirl: I've merged all your threads. I'm glad you like the DS, but it's really a bit overkill to start 5 threads in one go.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:12 PM   #10
woof

Right when I was replying to one

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Nope, the best is yet to come, it's still a young platform.
Hopefully more adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgirl
Which game do u think is the best dosen't matter if old or new which one do u think is the best...i think FFX and San Andreas... What do u think
I dont think that was a DS thread...
Old 04-17-2006, 09:18 PM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgirl
Is Nintendo receiving too much profit for the Nintendo DS? This animation tells you the answer.
"too much profit"

Nintendo is pretty much the only company out there doing something entirely new and different in a stagnant industry. If they don't deserve to profit for that, I don't know who does.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:54 PM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I dont think that was a DS thread...
I think you're right, so I've split that one back out again...
Old 04-18-2006, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
dsgirl: I've merged all your threads. I'm glad you like the DS, but it's really a bit overkill to start 5 threads in one go.
....because you have a huge site to discuss everything, and most of the people here are nice ...lol