You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Kya: Dark Lineage for PS2- Sleeper hit? +LoTR:RoTK

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
I'm really Cookin'

Default Kya: Dark Lineage for PS2- Sleeper hit? +LoTR:RoTK

I rented a bunch of console games yesterday: XIII, LOTR: The Return of the King, Haunted Mansion, Fatal Frame II, Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, and one I'd never heard of called Kya: Dark Lineage just for kicks. XIII didn't work out too well because I'm just not comfortable with console versions of FPSs-- using the right analog stick for camerawork while moving with the left analog stick just ain't natural after so many mouse camera/keyboard movement FPS games on PC. Haunted mansion is pretty blah (my kid likes it, though), so I stuck in Kya out of curiosity. It's really not a bad little platformer/action-adventure game so far. It's got some funky flying arcade sequences where Kya floats through jet streams to travel, and it's got some story to it concerning her father and brother. I'm going to try the others today, but my daughter and I had enough fun playing Kya already that I bought it used from EB. (Hey--my 10% additional discount card on EB's used games expires in January. I was just being practical. )

Has anybody else played Kya (or any of these others)?

Last edited by Skinny Minnie; 12-28-2003 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I've seen good reviews for the game, but I haven't seen it anywhere around where I live. It really is a sleeper.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 12-28-2003, 11:31 AM   #3
Cognitive Dissonant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Minnie
I rented a bunch of console games yesterday: XIII, LOTR: The Return of the King, Haunted Mansion, Fatal Frame II, Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, and one I'd never heard of called Kya: Dark Lineage just for kicks. XIII didn't work out too well because I'm just not comfortable with console versions of FPSs-- using the right analog stick for camerawork while moving with the left analog stick just ain't natural after so many mouse camera/keyboard movement FPS games on PC. Haunted mansion is pretty blah (my kid likes it, though), so I stuck in Kya out of curiosity. It's really not a bad little platformer/action-adventure game so far. It's got some funky flying arcade sequences where Kya floats through jet streams to travel, and it's got some story to it concerning her father and brother. I'm going to try the others today, but my daughter and I had enough fun playing Kya already that I bought it used from EB. (Hey--my 10% additional discount card on EB's used games expires in January. I was just being practical. )

I was immediately interested in this game when I read that you could free-fall, and after looking up Gamespot's review (8.3 I think), I bought it. So far, great game - fluid controls and decent story, and free-falling is just plain fun. The combat is more fun that I thought it would be too. Sleeper-hit indeed.

I have the ROTK demo downloaded, and I let it sit at the intro screen just because I love that haunting theme. I'll probably buy that when the price drops. Haven't played any of the other's you mentioned - though Fatal Frame II will be a late night venture one of these days.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:04 PM   #4
I'm really Cookin'

Hey Tom,

Return of the King is a blast if you just want a high-octane, third person action game with light RPG elements and fabulous graphics and cut scenes. You can play a bunch of different LOTR characters, and they level up as they fight. The better your attacks are (and the less damage you sustain) then the more points you earn to buy upgrades with. You can buy special spells or attacks like one you can perform once you're knocked down, or you can increase your health bar permanently, etc. It's not a puzzle game by far; the enemies just come at you in droves. You can lead a party in some map areas (say you play as Aragorn; Gimli and Legolas will come along and help you) and in others you're fighting solo (Gandalf was pretty fun solo), so it adds a little variety. So far, the enemies haven't been outrageously different from one another, but I've only completed two areas on the map so far. The cut scenes are awesome because the 3D of the game morphs very smoothly into movie footage from The Two Towers (at least so far). It is a bit odd that footage from the last movie is included at least in the early levels here, but it's a cool game all in all. I'm hoping I can finish it during the rental period so I won't feel compelled to pony up the dough for the PC version later.

PS/I finally had to stop playing it because my tendonitis started acting up, comfy mini Xbox controller and all. (My.Freaking.Hands.Are.Killing.Me.) All I'm good for right now is Bookworm.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
I'm really Cookin'

Wow, I kinda derailed the main topic of my own thread. In consequence, I renamed the thread so it included RoTK!
Old 12-28-2003, 07:32 PM   #6

I started playing Haunted Mansion just before Christmas and I'd have to agree with you that it's just plain "blah". I thought it was 'cause I'd just finished and had such a great time with Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, so I kept trying and it kept getting more "blah".

I'm considering getting Fatal Frame 2, but the first one scared me enough that I'm not in a hurry to buy it.

On the other hand, I started Beyond Good & Evil yesterday and I'm having a blast! What a brilliant little game!
Old 12-29-2003, 10:30 AM   #7
I'm really Cookin'

BG&E has a lot of heart. (Kya sorta reminds me of it with its beautiful backdrops and young lead character, actually.) Mini Minnie has already flown right by me in BG&E, though, and has her own saves going, so at least we know who we can turn to if we get stuck.

I haven't put in FF2 yet myself for the same reason as you, toger. I've got to hurry along about it, though, because the rentals are going back Thursday...
Old 02-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #8

I love kya dark lineage and i believe it is a sleeper hit becuase not that many people know about it. i just want people to know about it becuase its one of my favorite games and i hope that the creators change their mind and make a kya 2, but they seem like they wont but if they wont then they should hand the game over to a different company.
and just in case> kya petition
http://www.petitiononline.com/1k2y3a/petition.html

kya dark lineage is alot like beyond good and evil and malice they are both sleeper hits also, out of the 3 i think that malice wont ever get a sequel its rated really badly on game websites(although i gave it a good review on gamespot, if you want to see the review type in malice for either ps2 or xbox,i gave the same review on both and look for a review by "firespot" which is me on gamespot, i also reviewed kya and beyond good and evil on gamespot.) out of the 3 i believe BG&E has the best chance in a sequel because there are more better reviews for it, although out of the 3 my favorite is kya.

Last edited by mawile the deciever; 02-13-2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: fixed a word revied to reviewed
Old 02-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Minnie View Post

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=16719&highlight=kya+dark+lineage

Firefox rules
Old 02-13-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
Vigilant

I really wish I could buy and play Kya. Ever since I heard it announced I wanted it, but alas, I do not have a Playstation and don't intend on getting one. It is a pity PS2 was the only system it was available for.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:52 AM   #11
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack View Post
I really wish I could buy and play Kya. Ever since I heard it announced I wanted it, but alas, I do not have a Playstation and don't intend on getting one. It is a pity PS2 was the only system it was available for.
Any reason why you would deprive yourself of a PS2? It is very cheap right now compared to all the new consoles, and with tons of great games available for it (and still coming).

Firefox rules
Old 02-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
Any reason why you would deprive yourself of a PS2? It is very cheap right now compared to all the new consoles, and with tons of great games available for it (and still coming).
thats true but i recently got a new ps2 and it was 140.00 dollars which is kind of alot of money.

(not exact amount all i know is that it was in the 140's)