You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General To all those getting Oblivion

View Poll Results: What Will You Have Your Character Do in Oblivion
Follow the storyline 9 21.43%
Look around, do sidequests and stuff 15 35.71%
COMMIT CRIMES and do funny stuff 10 23.81%
OthER 8 19.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 10:36 AM   #121
Supreme Dictator for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Is the scalability of opponents tied to your level?
Yup. A *lot* of people @ the official elderscrolls forums are up in arms over this, as it makes combat extremely difficult for non-combat characters as you level up -- i.e., you're increasing lockingpicking, stealth, mercantile skills while the baddies are only increasing in their combat-specific skills. You could always turn down the difficulty slider, but (to me anyways) this seems like a bit of a cop-out and exposes a design flaw.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:32 PM   #122
Bad command or file name

Exaclty, hence the reason I am not going to level unless I absolutly have to. I'm currently at level 4 and combat is already getting annoying. Even if Bethesda doesn't address this issue (which I'm fairly confident they will in a patch), the modding community surly will. Hell, I read there is already a nude patch. A scalability patch can't be far behind.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #123
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty
Hell, I read there is already a nude patch.
WHEEEEAAARE!?
Old 03-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #124

I'm at level 12 and enjoy the gradually more difficult enemies I haven't played a dungeon yet that really exhausted my health - the 3x sneak attack bonus is quite a thing if you've got enough sneak and blade/blunt/marksman skill
Old 03-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #125
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
I'm at level 12 and enjoy the gradually more difficult enemies I haven't played a dungeon yet that really exhausted my health - the 3x sneak attack bonus is quite a thing if you've got enough sneak and blade/blunt/marksman skill
Which class are you playing, and what are your Blunt, blade and marksman levels?

Firefox rules
Old 03-27-2006, 05:10 PM   #126
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

I agree that the enemy scalability is problematic. It should not be scrapped though, the system just needs some tweaking. In any case it's much preferable to Morrowind's static enemies.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:34 PM   #127

Quote:
Which class are you playing, and what are your Blunt, blade and marksman levels?
Well off-hand (I don't spend much time looking at my stats so I'll get back to you on that later) my blunt is like 25 orso (don't use that much, unless I'm feeling like wantonly clubbing through a dungeon), blade around 54 (I think, might as well be my sneak skill ) and marksman 50. I made a custom class that the game aptly named "Adventurer", with a Thief Birthsign and the race is Redguard. I've done quite a few Dungeons, mainly whenever I encounter one, plus a lot of subquests for the guilds and stuff. I've put the main quest on hold a bit, I've only closed one Oblivion gate so far.

I like sneaking a lot, and can now pickpocket most people without them noticing, but it also allows me to quickly dispatch of enemies with the bow, usually before they get the chance to attack me with a blade/blunt weapon

Anyway, so far I haven't found the scalability much of a problem - without it the game would become way too easy way too fast. Perhaps they should tweak it a little bit, but I wouldn't care much if they didn't.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #128
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Well off-hand (I don't spend much time looking at my stats so I'll get back to you on that later) my blunt is like 25 orso (don't use that much, unless I'm feeling like wantonly clubbing through a dungeon), blade around 54 (I think, might as well be my sneak skill ) and marksman 50. I made a custom class that the game aptly named "Adventurer", with a Thief Birthsign and the race is Redguard. I've done quite a few Dungeons, mainly whenever I encounter one, plus a lot of subquests for the guilds and stuff. I've put the main quest on hold a bit, I've only closed one Oblivion gate so far.

I like sneaking a lot, and can now pickpocket most people without them noticing, but it also allows me to quickly dispatch of enemies with the bow, usually before they get the chance to attack me with a blade/blunt weapon

Anyway, so far I haven't found the scalability much of a problem - without it the game would become way too easy way too fast. Perhaps they should tweak it a little bit, but I wouldn't care much if they didn't.
I think I will quit levelling up by not sleeping like bysmitty suggested. I can't go right now into any cave, because my ass gets beaten by even timber wolves.

The levelling up is definitely flawed and favors aggressive gameplay.

Firefox rules
Old 03-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #129

Quote:
I think I will quit levelling up by not sleeping like bysmitty suggested. I can't go right now into any cave, because my ass gets beaten by even timber wolves.

The levelling up is definitely flawed and favors aggressive gameplay.
The first person combat can get a little clumsy now and then (which is why I prefer the bow), but once you've gotten the hang of blocking/attacking at the right moment it's actually pretty fun. Once you get very proficient in blocking you'll also be able to throw back opponents simply by blocking their attacks, or so I've read. Magic is also quite handy when you're in a tight spot (and not just the healing kind), which is why I'm going to collect all Mages Guild recommendations to get to Arcane University and get my hands on some ass whooping spells before I proceed with the main quest
Old 03-27-2006, 09:45 PM   #130
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

I don't mind the scaling, because Morrowind got boring VERY quickly once everything died in one swipe. It made the main quest pointless to me, with scaling monsters at least this time they put up a fight. I tend to do everything including combat so its not been an issue for me.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:21 PM   #131

Yep, never played Morrowing but KOTOR (&2) just got so easy combat got boring at one point. If you really took up the sidequests you'd be able to "Force Storm" a group of enemies before they even reached you I didn't mind at first, since I played it mainly for the story and such, but once you'd get past level 25 orso (Atleast I think that was a lot, could've been 15 or 35.. eitherway) the combat just got monotonous.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:45 PM   #132
gin soaked boy

So people, what is spellcasting like? I know you don't have to enter the spellcasting mode anymore, but is per level damage back in? I didn't like the system they introduced in Morrowind, it made offensive spells practically useless.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:02 AM   #133
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
The first person combat can get a little clumsy now and then (which is why I prefer the bow), but once you've gotten the hang of blocking/attacking at the right moment it's actually pretty fun. Once you get very proficient in blocking you'll also be able to throw back opponents simply by blocking their attacks, or so I've read. Magic is also quite handy when you're in a tight spot (and not just the healing kind), which is why I'm going to collect all Mages Guild recommendations to get to Arcane University and get my hands on some ass whooping spells before I proceed with the main quest
Okay so I went back and scrapped my old game, because my thief was not going anywhere.
I instead created my own class (the Terminator ) with all the 7 major skills related to combat (destruction, blunt, blade, heavy armor, block, marksmanship and conjuration). This way, any sneaking, lock picking, speechcraft, mercantile, or alchemy won't cause me to level up. The only way I can level up is if I actually fight (which in turn boosts my fighting skills). So far I am only at level 1 and am kicking ass I seriously think Bethesda should release a patch for the non-violent classes to be able to play and enjoy this game. Maybe something in the line of, if you only level up your major fighting skills will the enemies levels increase, regardless of the level you are at.

Firefox rules
Old 03-28-2006, 12:43 AM   #134
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Spellcasting is easy to use, handy, effective and awesome.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:35 AM   #135
gin soaked boy

Great, but what about per level damage? For instance, offensive spells in Daggerfall had basic damage and per level damage. So if you had a spell with, say, 1 to 5 basic and 2 to 5 per level damage, the total for a level 2 character would be 1 to 5 + 2*(2 to 5) = 5 to 15, and for a level 10 character 1 to 5 + 10*(2 to 5) = 21 to 55. They used a different system in Morrowind so I'd like to know what it's like in Oblivion, especially since the opponents are scalable.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:18 AM   #136
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Ok.... My Collector's Edition is here.... With NO Spetimus Coin!

What the?

Am I the only one without the coin?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:43 AM   #137
Bad command or file name

I dunno' Tan. I skipped on the Collector's edition this time since it didn't include the soundtrack (purchasable at www.directsong.com) and the rest of the contents didn't really interest me much. You might want to let Bethesda know about the missing coin since the CE only came with 3 extra items to begin with. That is 1/3 of your package. I'd be pissed.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 03-28-2006, 04:47 AM   #138
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty
I dunno' Tan. I skipped on the Collector's edition this time since it didn't include the soundtrack (purchasable at www.directsong.com) and the rest of the contents didn't really interest me much. You might want to let Bethesda know about the missing coin since the CE only came with 3 extra items to begin with. That is 1/3 of your package. I'd be pissed.

...bysmitty
I'm hoping Play.com will be sending me the missing coin directly, instead of me having to mail the game over to the UK for a replacement....

EDIT: GREAT! Now the game has control issues and I start walking back and left after a while...

Last edited by Tanukitsune; 03-28-2006 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #139
kamikaze hummingbirds

o yay!
i just obtain'd it in the post BUT it turns out i was SURE that my graphics card was supported... well... uh... I WAS DAM WRONG!!

must get new one.
new power supply too.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:27 AM   #140
Bad command or file name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
o yay!
i just obtain'd it in the post BUT it turns out i was SURE that my graphics card was supported... well... uh... I WAS DAM WRONG!!

must get new one.
new power supply too.
What are your specs?
CPU:
MEM:
Vid Card:
Power:
Upgrade Budget:

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!