You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Define "Next Gen" for me please?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Define "Next Gen" for me please?

I keep seeing this term used. Next gen games, Next gen consoles and I'm just not sure what it means?

What elements do a console or a game have to include to be called "next gen?"

Thanks for educating me!
Old 02-11-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Next generation consoles are machines that are usually more powerful they their little brothers (xbox - xbox 360, PS2 - PS3, GameCube - Revolution...)

It basicly means that the machines will be able to increase the level of graphic intencity of a game, as well as AI and the amount of memory increased. Basicly its the same old console just prettier.

Next gen also counts for PCs, we recently got a new generation of graphics cards (ATI). And it works for everything I guess.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #3
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Generation means very little. It can be due to technical level, as the GC and Xbox, or Dreamcast and PS2. It can also be which products are competing, such as the GC, PS2, and Xbox.

PCs are slightly more complicated, they have a rapid, but gradual cycle. GPU generations tend to be every 6-12months, CPU generations usually are 1-2years, where most of the other components don't get a drastic redesign for years. Nvidia and ATI are not always level on power, or date when they release a new GPU, but people line their offerings up in generations.

Software generations usually start when a company releases a game that uses the power of a new technology and every other developer follows.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
merely human

Next Gen is also a very powerful, fashionable (i.e. overused) marketing term. It preys on the 'jonesing' rampant in the gaming world and gaming culture, where being on the bleeding edge of hardware often means investing hundreds of dollars every 6-12 months to take advantage of even technically better graphics and other features, of which most developers aren't/can't offer until several months to a year after the hardware hits store shelves.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Well many developers are fresh out of ideas and rely on graphic innovations rather than gameplay ones. Its kind of sad really, because if you ask me our games have gotten to the point where they look "good enough" to me. Who actually plays Call of Duty 2 only to say "You know, that texture looks out of place over there......what a shitty game". I'm too busy dodging bullets for that.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Hitch-Hiker

So true.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 02-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
merely human

And that's exactly how it works to success. The hardware industry appeals to people's insecurities over not being able to keep up with the insane pace of tehnology and what it has to offer. In reality, you don't see the optimal amount of features in the software that that $400-$500 graphics card offers, because the software was developed long before it. So it's kinda redundant in a way, as if there were considerable lag time in between.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #8
Banned User

NextGen.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
Hitch-Hiker

What does a magazine have to do with this thread?

_

Old 02-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #10

Old 02-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #11

RIP, Next Gen. RIP.

"Next Gen" is going to be very interesting this time around. We've always seen pretty gigantic leaps in quality, but the 360 really hasn't shown as marked of an improvement as some were expecting. Makes one ponder if the gaming industry could survive as-is if we've reached a graphical peak.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #12
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by such great heights
RIP, Next Gen. RIP.

"Next Gen" is going to be very interesting this time around. We've always seen pretty gigantic leaps in quality, but the 360 really hasn't shown as marked of an improvement as some were expecting. Makes one ponder if the gaming industry could survive as-is if we've reached a graphical peak.
Why, have you played Call of Duty 2? That game is amazing graphically. I have the PC version and it blows me away compared to what I've been shown in other titles. Usually I hate WW2 games but this one stands out.

Also check out the screenshots of TES4: Oblivion and tell me you aren't impressed. That game is what I consider to be next gen, because the forests and vegetation look very realistic. In fact its one of the few games that manages to use Bloom to its advantage rather than to just blind you and make everything fuzzy.

There is still a ways we can go (full real time lighting, realistic soft shadowing, phsyics chips) so this is far from the end of technical leaps. I'm just a little worried of the speed its evolving at. I mean, Doom 3 is starting to look dated and thats a VERY bad thought. Its going to be very expensive to be a gamer in the next few years.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #13
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I keep seeing this term used. Next gen games, Next gen consoles and I'm just not sure what it means?

What elements do a console or a game have to include to be called "next gen?"

Thanks for educating me!
It's a term used to lure graphics whures into buying consoles. Like it is waaaaaaaaay ahead of its time or something.
Marketting Mumbo jumbo = BS.

EDIT: speaking of marketting mumbo jumbo, I was given a Bingo sheet filled with marketting keywords. Stuff like "cutting edge technology", and "professial experience" and "way ahead of the competition". The sheet asks you to scratch a term everytime you are in a meeting and management says that term. I was shocked to how many of these terms I've crossed during a lot of our company meetings.

Firefox rules

Last edited by SoccerDude28; 02-11-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #14

I actually dislike the overuse of Bloom in Oblivion (based on what we've seen so far), I think they should do away with it completely and focus on their HDR solution. Graphically though, it won't be a match for Crysis (which doesn't matter really, since the two games are aiming at a completely different audience).
Old 02-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #15
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
I actually dislike the overuse of Bloom in Oblivion (based on what we've seen so far), I think they should do away with it completely and focus on their HDR solution. Graphically though, it won't be a match for Crysis (which doesn't matter really, since the two games are aiming at a completely different audience).
Bloom, when used properly, will make outdoor locations look realistic as opposed to fake looking. For proof, just look at Quake Wars....or even the gothic III screenshots. Neither game has bad graphics, but their outdoor vegetation could use some serious work. The trees look like they are made of metal, and you could cut yourself on them.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:20 AM   #16
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Next Gen just means "new and shinier than before", simple as that...
Old 02-12-2006, 03:51 AM   #17
Epinionated.

Or simply blow-your-mind realistic, as anyone who's played the 360 Fight Night 3 demo can arrest to.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:39 AM   #18
ACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Or simply blow-your-mind realistic, as anyone who's played the 360 Fight Night 3 demo can arrest to.
Isn't the definition of CURRENT next gen consoles?
Old 02-12-2006, 06:21 AM   #19
Epinionated.

That makes little sense... could you write that again?
Old 02-12-2006, 06:55 AM   #20
ACK!

Argh, I skipped a word, I hate when I do that...

I meant: "Isn't that the definition of CURRENT next gen consoles?"...