View Single Post
Old 02-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #12
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Quote:
Originally Posted by such great heights
RIP, Next Gen. RIP.

"Next Gen" is going to be very interesting this time around. We've always seen pretty gigantic leaps in quality, but the 360 really hasn't shown as marked of an improvement as some were expecting. Makes one ponder if the gaming industry could survive as-is if we've reached a graphical peak.
Why, have you played Call of Duty 2? That game is amazing graphically. I have the PC version and it blows me away compared to what I've been shown in other titles. Usually I hate WW2 games but this one stands out.

Also check out the screenshots of TES4: Oblivion and tell me you aren't impressed. That game is what I consider to be next gen, because the forests and vegetation look very realistic. In fact its one of the few games that manages to use Bloom to its advantage rather than to just blind you and make everything fuzzy.

There is still a ways we can go (full real time lighting, realistic soft shadowing, phsyics chips) so this is far from the end of technical leaps. I'm just a little worried of the speed its evolving at. I mean, Doom 3 is starting to look dated and thats a VERY bad thought. Its going to be very expensive to be a gamer in the next few years.